Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Products to restore 30 yr old single stage red Mustang paint with PC 7424?

Hello, I just picked up a red 1986 Mustang GT with VERY dull but seemingly restorable single stage paint (looks much worse in person than in pics).

I have a PC 7424 and some Griots Complete compound in the garage but I think it may be too mild.

Looking for some recommendations on compound/polish for use with the PC.

Thanks!

Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Products to restore 30 yr old single stage red Mustang paint with PC 7424?

I will look for a link unless one the others finds it first to Mike Phillips article/posting on single stage classic paint. But first off get your self Meguiar`s Mirrior Glaze #7 Show Car Glaze.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

link to mike`s in depth article on single stage paint restoration.

AutoTraderClassics.com - Article Restoring Single Stage Paint: Part 1
    Likes Stokdgs, Paul@Autopia liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Link to #7 in autopia store.

Meguiars Mirror Glaze #7 Show Car Glaze
    Likes Stokdgs, In_the_Buff liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Theres a product called Wet Paint ive seen people rave about, with very impressive before and after photos, for instances just like this.

Post Thanks / Like

If you don`t have a garage and live next to a baseball field or dusty area..the mg#7 isn`t really an option
    My single stage paint turned out awesome after using 3D adapt and an orange Griot Boss pad at Speed 4 Via Boss G21

Post Thanks / Like

IME with M07 (which dates back to forever), as long as you top it there shouldn`t be any terrible dust-attraction issues. Of course, the topper might have such issues of its own.

Eh, it`s hard to beat the M07/wax combo. I`d go with either Collinite 476S or Meguiar`s M26 or M16 myself. Eh, I`m just a sucker for M16, but some might prefer how the others look on red...just don`t use something that`s so solvent/cleaner-rich that it messes with the M07, and remember that you simply gotta redo single stage kinda often no matter what.

In_The_Buff- Welcome to Autopia! I love those Fox body Mustangs. What do you have planned for the bleached-out black trim?
    Likes In_the_Buff liked this post
    Thanks In_the_Buff thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think single stage paint, weather enamel like my 75 or laquer like my 72..will benefit most from a ceramic coating

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your input! I plan to follow the steps in Mike`s article as closely as possible. I have the car in the garage for the next few months to get it ready for spring (body and mechanically). With a relatively low 89k and having rarely seen the light of day for the last 5-6 years, I am very optimistic here.

So far I got... clay, Meguiar`s #7, and some 3D Adapt to start with (although may try some milder polish first).

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    In_The_Buff- Welcome to Autopia! I love those Fox body Mustangs. What do you have planned for the bleached-out black trim?
    Thanks! I haven`t thought much about the trim at the moment. I was also thinking I could coat the trim with some Plastidip as a temporary measure since I can peel it off later. I have some surface rust around the door window trim as well which I thought of sanding and coating as well (but that`s probably an entire thread of its own!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    Theres a product called Wet Paint ive seen people rave about, with very impressive before and after photos, for instances just like this.
    Did quick Google search.
    I`m guessing you mean WetPaintGlaze dot com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by In_the_Buff View Post
    Thanks! I haven`t thought much about the trim at the moment. I was also thinking I could coat the trim with some Plastidip as a temporary measure since I can peel it off later. I
    have some surface rust around the door window trim as well which I thought of sanding and coating as well (but that`s probably an entire thread of its own!)
    IMO if you`re gonna use a "paint" approach on the trim, you might as well do it right with the stuff that`s approved by Ford (and other manufacturers). I don`t have a link handy, but research "ValuGard ETRII", the ETR stands for Exterior Trim Restoration and it`s the second version.

The surface rust (let`s hope that`s all it amounts to!) *is* a somewhat complicated topic...and the "rust treatments" and "paint over rust" products that DIYers usually turnn to can vary wildly with regard to how well they work/don`t for different people.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nothingface5384 View Post
    I think single stage paint, weather enamel like my 75 or laquer like my 72..will benefit most from a ceramic coating
    I am pretty sure that if its the original paint, that is Acrylic Enamel from the factory...
    And from what I can see in the pics, it looks pretty darn good - certainly keeping it out of the weather for years really helped..
    Pretty car !!!
    Dan F
    Likes In_the_Buff liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nothingface5384 View Post
    Did quick Google search.
    I`m guessing you mean WetPaintGlaze dot com
    Yeah sounds right. I havent used it but several on an Accord forum i frequent have with great results.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say, the paint is really starting to respond in a great way after some claying and just the first coat of Meguiars #7.

I`m looking forward to seeing how this progresses with additional passes with #7 (next one I`ll try with the PC), wax, polish, last step, etc...

Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by In_the_Buff View Post
    I have to say, the paint is really starting to respond in a great way after some claying and just the first coat of Meguiars #7.

I`m looking forward to seeing how this progresses with additional passes with #7 (next one I`ll try with the PC), wax, polish, last step, etc...
    Glad it`s going well!

Once you finish with the M07, I`d be *very* careful about which "polish" you use. I put the polish in scare-quotes because some companies (that`d be you, Meguiar`s ) use the word in weird ways.

I probably wouldn`t want to strip the M07 off/out of the paint, so I would use something that`ll play nice with it. While it`s ancient technology (like the M07..like the car`s paint...see a trend here?) I`d probably use their M09 Swirlmark Remover. It doesn`t really *remove* swirls as much as it fills them IME, but/and the stuff in it is related to what`s in the M07 (or at least it was the last time Mike and I dicussed it).

So I`d keep doing the M907 until you don`t see any additional benefit happening, then maybe go over it lightly with some M09, then either another application of M07 or else just straight to a M07-friendly wax.

Not that I have all the answers or the *only* ones worth following, but that`s what I`d do.

EDIT: Be careful doing M07 via PC as I find it even less user-friendly than normal when done by machine. *I* would just do M07 by hand, but that`s just me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information