Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Products to restore 30 yr old single stage red Mustang paint with PC 7424?

See, and I like #7 by machine at low speeds (2-3) with a low cut pad it pulls off the dead paint a little (no cut from#7 but a little cut from the pad) quicker and saves you arms. (Disclaimer the paint I mess with a lot is on Mack Rubbish trucks single stage red enamel paint not classics). but you do have to use a towel to do the clean the pad on the fly system Mike P uses as the pad gets gummed up quick with dead paint. Some times if the paints real bad i have to use a detail spray to wet the paint for wipe down after as #7 and dead paint tends to dry kinda hard on the surface (also disclaimer this paint is horrendous near dead and on fiber glass which I think from truck engine heat sucks the oils out of the paint from the under side through the fiber glass along with the sun beating on it all day from the top, at least thats my theory as the hoods are way worse then the metal cab shells).

Post Thanks / Like

trashmanssd- That "at low speeds" part is probably the diff here...I [messed] up once at a higher speed (overworked the M07 on black lacquer) and it lead to a lot of work.

And yeah, that "little cut from the pad, not the M07" thing does work OK on softer ss paints all right! Back in the days before both b/c paint and MF you could get some stuff done with M07 and a cotton towel.
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Here`s an update on the progress so far. I`m just astounded at how this paint is coming back to life. These pics don`t do justice to what this car is looking like in person at this point and I haven`t even applied any wax yet.

After claying and feeding the paint with Megs #7 for three overnights, I first hit the car with HD Adapt using the PC with an orange cutting pad and then HD Adapt with a blue polishing pad. Both pads were Harbor Freight since I could not wait for the pads I ordered to arrive. I thought the HF pads worked very well. After a few passes with Adapt I went over the polished areas by hand with more #7 which brought some additional depth and shine. The pics below are post polish and #7. I plan to add some CG Butter Wax which I already have on my shelf.

I`ve had several fox body mustangs over the years and I think this one is going to look better than factory when I`m done with the rest of the car ...

Post Thanks / Like

wow, thats a pretty impressive turn around!

Post Thanks / Like

In_the_Buff It`s looking good!! I, too, followed Mike Phillips thread on a `67 VW bug that had (what appears to be) worse paint than your Mustang. I applied the M07 by hand, and did 2-3 applications, (depending on the panel). Cotton towel only; no PC and no cutting pads. I followed mine up with some Blackfire Midnight Sun wax, but now wish I would have used either M26 or M16.

IME, the CG Butter Wax didn`t last long at all. I haven`t used it since and I`d be happy to give it away. You should see Mr. Accumulator for some M16. I love that stuff!

Post Thanks / Like

Well done. That SS paint looks like it`s thirst has been quenched.

Post Thanks / Like

In_The_Buff- Looking good!

And yeah...M07 + M16 works just as well now as it did 50 years ago, well...at least on single stage (don`t like M07 on b/c myself). Though on red I might prefer M07 + M26 even if it won`t last as long, I`d have to see `em both to decide. Of course, M07 + 476S works fine too, never tried the Butter Wax.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information