Post Thanks / Like

Griots machine polishes

Has anyone had any experience or knowledge of the Griots machine polish`s line?
    I have a 2014 Black Kia Soul with dealer swirls and some minor scratches from rings while opening the back hatch. ( was previously a rental vehicle).
    I was looking at the griots line of machine polishes to use with my 7424 with a green/orange pad?
    I`m totally new with machine polishing, always did things by hand but wanted to move up and possibly save some time.
    TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griots machine polishes

Well we finally had good enough weather up here to get out the 7424.
    I tried the Griots MP 2 with a yellow pad and I have to say that the product is garbage IMO! Not only did it not remove swirl marks and tiny surface scratches, it didn`t even remove spider marks!
    I was so disappointed in this product and what it claims to do do. Also trying to remove the product was a nightmare requiring a lot of work.
    I did the roof first to see how it performed and then went to the hood. After MP2 I went on to MP4 on the hood and then BF diamond polish finishing with Pete`s 54.
    Nice and shiny in the shade but an embarrassment in the sun for all the work I put into it. (The car was washed and clayed before also).
    I need a good product that is proven to remove swirl marks and tiny scratches and is easy to remove product after.
    I don`t think they ever re formulated the product.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you using 5" or 5.5" pads? 6" or 6.5" are too much for the PC. Take a look at the new Megs 5" THIN pads--less mass for the PC to rotate and they`ve been getting great reviews. You might want to also consider trying something like HD Adapt. Very easy to use--long working time--little to know dust. It is pad dependant so if after using it with the Megs maroon pad and the finish isn`t LSP ready you can drop down to the polishing pad for a couple of passes to refine the finish. According to Megs the maroon pad has more cut than orange pads but less than a MF pad and finishes very well.
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like

marinesoup- A few thoughts:

-AFAIK the GG MPs are on v3.0
    -no, they`re not all that effective for correction (even MP1 is mild IMO) at least not via PC (they do work a *LOT* better with other machines IME)
    -the MP4 and the BF might not be compatible
    -you need to sort out your lighting so there are no surprises in the sun (hope that didn`t sound harsh); the problems should`ve been apparent as soon as you did a small test-spot

Post Thanks / Like

You can always pick up Meguiars ultimate compound and M205 locally.
    Likes glen e liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Because I do the detailing outside I needed a shadier spot out of the bright sun, which of course didn`t give me the lighting results until I did more than I should have. So your comment was not harsh. The roof also wasn`t bad at all compared to the hood and hatch but they were not good as a test area.
    What color pad do you recommend for a cutting pad? Is the 6.5 too large?
    pwaug suggests a thinner Meg`s
    pad.
    Could it just be the MP itself if I change that to a different product?
    Are the Meguiars ultimate compound and M205 good for removing swirls and tiny scratches?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marinesoup View Post
    Are the Meguiars ultimate compound and M205 good for removing swirls and tiny scratches?
    Very good at it. Similar to the 105/205 twins but in my personal opinion I find the Meg`s UC easier to work with than 105 with an equivalent cut, and less dust. If you can`t get the swirls out with that combo you have another issue like wrong pads or you`re working the PC wrong.
    Likes ECONORAM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

marinesoup- glad I didn`t give offense regarding the lighting/inspection.

While others get good correction out of M205, my experiences with it have shown it to be more of a Finishing Polish *for me*, not something *I* would use for significant correction. I get things basically perfect with harsher stuff before switching to M205 (not that I use it much, if at all, any more).

I would choose HD Polish over M205 in a heartbeat. I have over a gallon of M205 just sitting unused since I bought HD Polish, and I`m not one to fix something that`s not broken.

I`m out of date on serious-correction pads as I basically never do it these days. But I ditched the Yellow Foam Cutting Pads ages ago in favor or MF Cutting Disks, Meguiar`s Maroon Foam Cutting Pads (both the older 7006 ones and the newer-tech version), or Orange Light Cut pads for less aggressive work.

Yes, the 6.5" pad is almost certainly too big for the PC7424 (large surface area = too much friction when pressure is applied). Honestly, I`d replace the polisher with something more potent but I understand that the expense might be signficant. And yeah....I know how people do all sorts of miraculous work with the older PCs (discussed it with guys like Kevin Brown; I`m not Mr. Clueless here ) but my experiences with it simply haven`t been satisfactory.

Thread Information