Post Thanks / Like

how much shedding is "normal"

So I picked up my first wool pads recently for use with my makita and I was wondering how much shedding is considered normal for them? I picked up 3 lake country lambswool leveling pads and was a little surprised as to how much it shed first time out of the packaging. On a low rpm just gently running my curled fingers across the face of the pad resulted in a handful of loose wool fibers. I in no way was forcibly trying to remove them, no pressure just ran my fingers across and was surprised to see so much come off.

I`m just asking if this is normal as I`m still learning the ins and outs of rotary polishing and wool pads. If it is normal, do I just run a spur across the pad a bunch until it stops?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: how much shedding is "normal"

When I`m using cutting pads, I spur them till it looks like I`ve lost a fight with a sheep. (Or like I won but it took a lot of effort.) I like the twists almost all the way untwisted. This provides adequate backing for the cutting compounds and at the same time keeps the pressure more even against the paint. Also, if you`re going to be working in a shop, it`s a great idea to prepare your pads before you go there. Painters take a pretty dim view of wool fibers flying around their shops.

Robert

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WhyteWizard View Post
    When I`m using cutting pads, I spur them till it looks like I`ve lost a fight with a sheep. (Or like I won but it took a lot of effort.) I like the twists almost all the way untwisted. This provides adequate backing for the cutting compounds and at the same time keeps the pressure more even against the paint. Also, if you`re going to be working in a shop, it`s a great idea to prepare your pads before you go there. Painters take a pretty dim view of wool fibers flying around their shops.

Robert
    Very good description. Been there, done that.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, first few times the stuff goes EVERYWHERE.

Post Thanks / Like

OK good to know. I`ll spend a little time clearing them out I guess. I dunno why I didn`t add a wool pad spur to my order when I bought the pads but it`ll be on my next order for sure!

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

My dad always used a flathead screwdriver to spur with, I`d give that a go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes mrclean81 liked this post

Thread Information