Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Basic advice

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Basic advice

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    It acts as a protective barrier of sorts. Its hard to wrap your head around what I`m saying I understand..
    Heh heh, I`m sure you don`t mean to be insulting, but I sincerely doubt that this topic could involve anything I can`t wrap my head around

I can see dirt acting as a barrier of sorts with regard to, say...some bird-bombs, but the "moisture retention" and "abrasives sitting on the paint" factors outweigh that for me. Maybe we just have different priorities.

I`ve seen countless cars over the years that have been poorly maintained. I will take the one that has never been washed over one that gets weekly tunnel washed or the $10 broomstick parking lot hack washes everytime

No, I was not joking
    See, I simply view "unwashed" as being a form of "poorly maintained". In my area, unwashed vehicles rust out due to the moisture/salt-retention issue. Period. Simple as that- UNLESS they`re properly/thoroughly rustproofed, and that`s awfully rare.

If you`re assuming the vehicle *was* properly rustproofed, then that`s different and maybe we don`t disagree all that much after all.

I guess it`s a pet peeve of mine in part because I had to replace all the fuel and brake lines (no longer available, had to all be custom-made) on the `93 Audi because the previous owner`s so-called detailer didn`t keep those areas clean. Even the tunnel wash`s undercarriage spray would`ve probably done the trick.

OTOH, the old Volvo I inherited was run through the tunnel wash regularly, including the undercarriage spray. Yeah, it was marred up, but it was also rust-free, and still is despite decades of use in winter salt. And I compounded it one time after I got it, and it`s still looking swell today for its current owner. Looks better-than-swell IMO for a 30-some year old car.

I do agree with you *in the short-term* though, it`s just those long-term ramifications that I`ve learned about the hard way.

And OK, I guess that the marring from "rub against a dirty car" vs. "crappy wash technique" could be a toss-up, but I`d hope that any Autopian can wash (at least relatively) marring-free even if that means just running it through a touchless (with all the product-related risks that can involve).

And no, I`m not trying to be contentious, I just don`t want somebody who believes everything on the internet to say they "read on Autopia that you don`t have to wash your car..but now mine is all rusted out!".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    I am not saying I agree but one could say dirt makes a good UV barrier...
    Eh, I don`t consider today`s b/c paint to be all that UV-sensitive, but OK, I can`t argue with that aspect of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Heh heh, I`m sure you don`t mean to be insulting, but I sincerely doubt that this topic could involve anything I can`t wrap my head around

I can see dirt acting as a barrier of sorts with regard to, say...some bird-bombs, but the "moisture retention" and "abrasives sitting on the paint" factors outweigh that for me. Maybe we just have different priorities.

See, I simply view "unwashed" as being a form of "poorly maintained". In my area, unwashed vehicles rust out due to the moisture/salt-retention issue. Period. Simple as that- UNLESS they`re properly/thoroughly rustproofed, and that`s awfully rare.

If you`re assuming the vehicle *was* properly rustproofed, then that`s different and maybe we don`t disagree all that much after all.

I guess it`s a pet peeve of mine in part because I had to replace all the fuel and brake lines (no longer available, had to all be custom-made) on the `93 Audi because the previous owner`s so-called detailer didn`t keep those areas clean. Even the tunnel wash`s undercarriage spray would`ve probably done the trick.

OTOH, the old Volvo I inherited was run through the tunnel wash regularly, including the undercarriage spray. Yeah, it was marred up, but it was also rust-free, and still is despite decades of use in winter salt. And I compounded it one time after I got it, and it`s still looking swell today for its current owner. Looks better-than-swell IMO for a 30-some year old car.

I do agree with you *in the short-term* though, it`s just those long-term ramifications that I`ve learned about the hard way.

And OK, I guess that the marring from "rub against a dirty car" vs. "crappy wash technique" could be a toss-up, but I`d hope that any Autopian can wash (at least relatively) marring-free even if that means just running it through a touchless (with all the product-related risks that can involve).

And no, I`m not trying to be contentious, I just don`t want somebody who believes everything on the internet to say they "read on Autopia that you don`t have to wash your car..but now mine is all rusted out!".
    Sounds like we agree then

I am going to start offering Rustproofed Dirt Coatings and make a fortune!

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh heh....

Post Thanks / Like

It`s surprising on this site to find anyone advocating `maintaining` a dirty vehicle. Dirt is the enemy of the finish which is why there`s such an emphasis on washing and waxing/sealing products and procedures. However, I do see how vehicles improperly washed could mar and ultimately be worse than not washing. I remember years ago a kid that worked for me said one day "I get more dirt off when I wax than when I wash the car." I just cringed....but this was a fellow that didn`t really know about proper wash methods, let alone claying...Heck, back then (70`s) neither did I!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MiVor View Post
    It`s surprising on this site to find anyone advocating `maintaining` a dirty vehicle...
    Yeah, that`s why I got into it with him despite my general inclination to not worry about everything on the internet.
    Likes MiVor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Yeah, that`s why I got into it with him despite my general inclination to not worry about everything on the internet.
    Well he does go by the handle of `Trouble`.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MiVor View Post
    Well he does go by the handle of `Trouble`.
    Heh heh..yeah, our resident Agent Provocateur I gather, which is generally fine by me as I certainly commit my share of Autopain Heresy now and then.

Hey Trouble, are your ears buring?!? All intended in good humor..
    Likes MiVor liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information