Post Thanks / Like

How to clean suede?

My car has seats that are half leather and half suede. The side and leg bolsters are leather and the parts where you sit and rest your back on are suede. From my experience with shoes, getting it wet will cause color to run and will reduce the smoothness. How can I prevent this? Are there any cleaners out there that will work beside white vinegar that smells like rotten eggs?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to clean suede?

Chances are is that what you have is Alacantara (artificial suede) and not suede, which is actually the bottom layer of the leather hide. Most upholsters don`t use suede anymore in auto interiors as they try to get as much out of the leather hide as they can.

Alacantara is a very nice material, but you have to treat it carefully. I use Swissvax Alacanta cleaner for it as it is purposely made for this material. Since alacantara is a very delicate material, what you do is spray the solution lightly onto the surfaces. After that, basically take a nice microfiber cloth and lightly pat the surfaces to gently work in the cleaner. After, just let the cleaner naturally dry. You also want to try to avoid using a brush, or rubbing the material with any force.

I absolutely love alacantara and the looks it provides. Such a great material, however it is finicky.
    Thomas Kehlenbeck
    Aggressive Detailing

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

On the older suede material I been using woolite with warm water and clean towel on light soil areas, and also been using Autoglym interior shampoo on heavy area`s.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Dry foam such as Blue Coral or Tuff Stuff works well.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: How to clean suede?

Although attractive, suede is difficult to clean and can be discolored by water and other liquids. Many cars are now equipped with car seats that have "Ultrasuede" or "Alcantara"---which are suede-like in appearance but actually made from synthetic materials designed to be more easily cleaned than regular suede. Check with your manufacturer to discover if your car seats are genuine suede before attempting to clean.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had the Alcantara in both my Lightning and Trailblazer SS. It`s very sensitive. I never used a brush just more of a blot with a towel. Hard to get any serious spots out of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reality33 View Post
    Chances are is that what you have is Alacantara (artificial suede) and not suede, which is actually the bottom layer of the leather hide. Most upholsters don`t use suede anymore in auto interiors as they try to get as much out of the leather hide as they can.

Alacantara is a very nice material, but you have to treat it carefully. I use Swissvax Alacanta cleaner for it as it is purposely made for this material. Since alacantara is a very delicate material, what you do is spray the solution lightly onto the surfaces. After that, basically take a nice microfiber cloth and lightly pat the surfaces to gently work in the cleaner. After, just let the cleaner naturally dry. You also want to try to avoid using a brush, or rubbing the material with any force.

I absolutely love alacantara and the looks it provides. Such a great material, however it is finicky.
    Great reply, I totally agree and appropriate you.

Thread Information