Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Understanding the different types of leather.

Automotive leather can come in various styles which include the following: Aniline, Semi-Aniline, and Pigmented (Coated/Protected) leather. Aniline leather is almost never found in automobiles today, although some older and specialty vehicles use this. Pigmented leather is the most commonly used and the quality can vary wildly. Finally semi-aniline, most commonly found in higher end vehicles, is somewhere in the middle.

PIGMENTED (Protected/Coated) LEATHER.

This is leather that can been coated with a synthetic material. The leather hide itself is left in its natural (usually dark gray) form. The coating provides the color and the protection for the leather. In the picture above the coating has a light tan finish. Generally less expensive or thicker coatings will feel more vinyl like or stiff. Thinner, higher quality coating will retain much of the leather`s natural feel. Thick coatings are usually used in cheaper vehicles because the coating hides the natural flaws in the leather, making it less expensive to finish.

Care

Caring for pigmented leather is truly about keeping the leather clean. Dirt and particulate will scratch and wear the leather leading to shiny appearance and exposure of the leather hide underneath. Acidic body oils can wear or stain the vacuum frequently and use a gentle, water based cleaner to remove embedded dirt and oil. Use a protectant or conditioner that features protectants (to reduce abrasion and increase sun fade resistance). Over time the leather coating will crack microscopically or stretch in the seams and folds. Conditioners can penetrate the coating through these cracks and openings, keeping the leather underneath soft and supple.

SEMI-ANILINE LEATHER

This is leather in which the hide has been dyed (similar to aniline leather) but there is still a protective coating on top. This coating is usually extremely thin allowing the leather to feel very natural and supple. The coating can either be clear, tinted, or dyed. The ultra thin coating does not mask defects (such as mosquito bites or scars) as well so only select hides are used. In the example above the hide has been dyed red and the coating is clear.

Care

Caring for semi-aniline leather is near identical to caring for pigmented leather. Keep the leather clean by frequently cleaning and vacuuming. Semi-aniline leather is usually not as resilient as pigmented leather so frequent conditioning is also recommended.

ANILINE LEATHER

Aniline leather is leather that has been dyed and tanned but features no protective coating. This is the most natural and soft leather. It is also extremely vulnerable to stains, water damage, dye transfer, scratching and scaring. Aniline leather is not typically found in automobiles today. In the diagram above the leather has been died a deeper brown.

Care

Do not eat, drink, or use using anything wet on aniline leather. Doing so can alter the stiffness or cause irreversible staining. Clean and condition the hides with products designed for use with aniline leather.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Understanding the different types of leather.

Thanks for this reference guide Todd! I`m far from a leather expert, so this is new knowledge to me. I didn`t even know the coating on some leather provided the coloring.

Post Thanks / Like

This is awesome info. Great post!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Great info Todd, really like the graphics/pics to help explain the differant types of leather.
    Current: 2015 Volvo S60 Platinum - Ember Black Metallic

Past: 2011 Jaguar XF Premium - Ebony, Barley/Truffle

Past: 2007 Celestial Blue Metallic C70 T5

Past: 2005 Black Saphire Metallic S60 R

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Don`t forget to not to use those so call Mr Clean pads on your leather.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zoomzoom mazda5 View Post
    Don`t forget to not to use those so call Mr Clean pads on your leather.
    Also be carefull with those ink removing sticks. I used one on a leather couch that had ball point pen ink on it and it took the color along with the ink out. Now there is a white line where the ink was.

Post Thanks / Like

Great post Todd - like others, I hadn`t realized that some leather was colored via the coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Classy educational reference. It is about time for another debate on leather care.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

So aniline hides need specific chemicals and can be damaged by chemicals designed for coated or semi-aniline hides? How about the reverse, could using an aniline oriented product on semi-aniline or coated leathers cause undesired results or damage?

Is there a striking difference between aniline and semi-aniline, with regard to look or feel?
    Connor Harrison Detailing
    Facebook!

Inspection > Correction > Protection

Post Thanks / Like

very good information. leather is one of the toughest things about cars there days

Post Thanks / Like

Well this is just what I needed. This helps me out a lot thanks!
    Get your shine on!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this Todd. It is very informative and really helps to understand what you working with.

Question:
    On newer cars that have protected leather like my Acura, is Letherique kit even needed? Or do I really just need a lite interior cleaner?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post
    Thanks for this Todd. It is very informative and really helps to understand what you working with.

Question:
    On newer cars that have protected leather like my Acura, is Letherique kit even needed? Or do I really just need a lite interior cleaner?
    This is a tricky question because if you ask different leather experts you will get different answers.

Here is the thing, when the leather is fresh (just tanned and coated) it is pretty much protected under the pigment/coating. So in this case something like Leatherique isn`t going to offer much benefit as you really cannot reach the hide underneath.

However, over time the coating will develop microscopic tears and areas around the stitching and seems will open up do to material stretch. At this point some of the leather is exposed and leatherique can reach the material. I have read both trains of thought on the subject but in my experience I have seen great results from using Leatherique on leather that was less then a year old.

Taking it a step further, most leather conditioners (or products marketed as leather conditioners) are really protectants for the coating, although they have some conditioning benefit (added oils such as lanolin). As the coating wears (naturally) these condtioners are going to offer some benefit to the leather underneath (as needed).

I keep the seats in my car clean and use a leather conditioner about once every other month. I still like to use Leatherique (and still remove some light soiling) once a year, but may increase the usage as the seats wear.

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting...

I currently use Optimum Protectant Plus or 1Z Einszett Leather Care one a month or so. And use the leatherique kit once a year. My seats are 8 years old and still look good. The drivers seat is now finally starting to show some creases and such. So at this point I am planning on sticking with my current regime.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by umi000 View Post
    Great post Todd - like others, I hadn`t realized that some leather was colored via the coating.
    On cheaper leather if your not carfull you can actually wipe the color coating right off the leather with the wrong cleaners.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information