Post Thanks / Like

interior cleaner/protectant

Looking to get a few products here

all around interior protectant - 303 or megs interior detailer?
    carpet protectant - 303 fabric guard any good? Scotchguard?

overall carpet cleaning - folex best all around?
    what about with an extractor...folex, or APC, or different product?

Thanks

I can polish the heck out of a car, but I am trying to enhance the interior game a bit as I seem to take too long on interiors trying to get them too clean I guess. maybe a different product will be safer and more effective than APC?

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: interior cleaner/protectant

for all around the best Ive found is poorboys natural look, no oily or shiny surface.
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax
    Likes ShawnF350 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    for all around the best Ive found is poorboys natural look, no oily or shiny surface.
    I tried this product but didn`t like it because it had a strong artificial smell.

I recommend the 303. It`s universal on leather, rubber, plastic and vinyl, and doesn`t really have an odor.

my 2 cents...

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve only heard a few complaints of the PB natural look cherry scent. It really stands out after doing interior with it though.
    I agree they should offer an odorless version for those that like to spray their own deodorizer in the car.

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

Always liked the smell.....to each his own.....
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax
    Likes ShawnF350 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

For carpets, folex is awesome. I usually use it for heavy soiled/stained spots on carpets. I`d also recommend using a product by Zep called Premium carpet shampoo.
    It`s concentrated (I believe one gallon makes 25 gallons) it`s cheap, under or around $20.00 and can be picked up at Home Depot/Lowes etc.
    You can use it with an extractor but where I`m really liking it is without the extractor for general carpet cleaning. I dilute it and add about 1.2 oz to a
    32 oz bottle with water. I find there is no stickiness to the carpets after I`m done and it pulls out dirt like crazy. With the 1.2 oz for a 32 oz
    bottle, a gallon will last forever! I`m really digging it.

That product and the folex is a killer combo for me on the carpets.

Hope that`s helpful!
    Derek

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, Ill have to check out that Zep

SO...
    303 on interior. Not really looking for scents.
    folex on carpets
    try out the ZEP cleaner for carpet extraction

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I typically use Megs QID and their natural shine protectant on my personal cars. QID can be used on all surfaces including nav screens.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

interior cleaner/protectant

For carpet/upholstery cleaning, your best bet is finding the local janitorial or carpet cleaning supply store. The products are specific to those materials and can be more economical than automotive products., another plus is that you might find leather masters products locally, I know I did. Pro`s choice has a nice stain guide and app. If you check their website for a local distributor, you`ll likely find a small warehouse full of great products.

Never thought I`d give Eric any advice, but glad I can give back for all those AAP blog posts you`ve done.

And for interior protectants I really like car pro PERL, 303 and ultima interior guard

Post Thanks / Like

For upholstery cleaning I have used CF Fabric Clean and CG Lightning Fast. They both work great, but Fabric Clean I only like to use on things I can rinse with a hose like floor mats...it foams a lot. I use Lightning Fast for things I am going to rinse with an extractor (I don`t use it in the soap tank). Folex and Lightning Fast are probably similar.

For protectant I have use 303 and Blackfire. I like them both. No smell and matte finish.

I don`t use upholstery protectant much, but I have tried the CG one and one my local detailer sells. Both worked fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I know this is a rookie question, but do you use a cleaner, then a protectant? I was using just the Megs Natural Shine Protectant as a cleaner/protectant. However, I just picked up some 303. Would I use APC first? Does it need to be diluted?

Post Thanks / Like

IMO 99.9% of "interior protectants" are unnecessary unless there`s some kind of extreme situation involved.

For leather, best protectants I`ve used come from Leather Doctor (what a PIA to order though!). For vinyl, eh...I don`t protect it and I`ve never had a problem (I keep vehicles for decades too). Rubber, Wurth or 1Z rubber care products.

But for virtually all my interior work I just use Meguiar`s IQD or 1Z CP. That`s it, even on dog-haulers and daily drivers that get used really hard.

For extracting fabrics/carpet, I use commercial products from ChemSpec or TOL`s Hi-Temp line. VERY inexpensive, bought `em (concentrate) years ago and probably still have a lifetime supply. And yeah, unless I really need that "forceful chemical injection"-effect, I keep clear water in the extractor`s tank. Really oughta use a proper rinse agent, but I haven`t gotten around to buying it yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cda555 View Post
    I know this is a rookie question, but do you use a cleaner, then a protectant? I was using just the Megs Natural Shine Protectant as a cleaner/protectant. However, I just picked up some 303. Would I use APC first? Does it need to be diluted?
    I would never use a protectant/ sealant on anything but a clean surface. My regular routine for vinyl and plastic surfaces is a yearly thorough cleaning with APC, usually Meguiar`s at 10:1 or 4:1 for nasty spots, then a wipe with 303AP or Meg`s Natural shine. Regular maintenance is mostly with Optimum`s Opticlean, since it cleans without stripping the protectant, but I also use Meg`s Quick Interior Detailer when a more aggressive cleaner is needed. Both leave some protection behind, but can also be topped with protectant.

Bill
    Likes wdmaccord liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I really like Detailers Pride Surface Protectant. It has a mild cleaner in it and leaves behind some protectant with a nice satin finish.

Thread Information