Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys,

I,ve just been given a Maguiars catalogue for the U.K. As you guys are so experienced with the stuff I wondered what you thought of the following:

Deep Crystal 3 stage paint system- cleaner,polish and wax (seperate products)

Quik clay detailing system

Also, how do they compare to your current favourites Klasse / Zaino.

I`ve no experience of any of the products in the catalogue as this is the first time they`ve been available in the U.K.

Many Thanks,

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Heard their clay bar isnt the best, look into the synthetics like K or Z or use #20
    Fmr Nascar,Arca & USAC driver

96 Mitsu GST
    02 Vette Z06
    03 S2000

Post Thanks / Like
    Peter,

The products that you mention are the regular consumer line from Meguiars. The 3-step process is for the ordinary joe who washes/waxes his car once or twice a year. Nothing spectacular. Same withe clay.

The better line from Meguiars comes in the beige bottles, this is the stuff formulated for body shops/detailers. Look into that line instead.

Luckily for me, my neighbors work at Meguiar`s HQ here in Irvine...I get all my stuff for free!

The basic/red bottle products don`t have anything which would compare to the Klasse/Zaino stuff. The #20 polymer sealant is in their beige-bottle lineup...same with their hi-tech yellow #26 wax..not in the consumer product line either.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been using Meguiars for a long, long time. I would stay away from the deep crystal system, and opt for the professional stuff. I have used both, and I definately prefer the professional line.

A three step system is, however, a good idea, and can be used with the professional products. My favorites are:

1. Medallion Paint Cleaner

2. #7 Show Car Glaze or #9 Swirl Remover depending on necessity.

3. Mediallion Paint Protectant.

You will get great results with the above products, especially if you are using the #7 in the middle.

Today I just tried Zaino with ZFX for the first time. I was able to get a couple layers of Z5 on, but could not really make a judgement yet cause` I ran out of light. That said, those two coats are glossing as much as the Meguiars did, and are very slick. Application and removal are far and away easier than Meguiars. If the durability is as advertised or at least better than the Meguiars, then I am sold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Peter, a lot of people here like to use the Meguiar`s Gold Class Car Shampoo & Final Inspection as they both seem to provide results you can`t complain about. And a few us blokes like to use #9 SMR 2.0, Medallion Paint Cleanser, Gold Class Wax, & #26 High Tech wax. However, the current prevailing consensus here is that regardless of the way you maintain or prep your paint, you get the best results using either Klasse, Zaino or Blackfire to seal your paint for maximum protection and shine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love most of Meguiar`s stuff. The #26 is a quality carnauba wax, and the Gold Class wax, though not very durable, gives great reflection! A lot of people at Autopia don`t like the Gold Class wax, but if you like to wax your car and want to do it often, you can`t go wrong with Gold Class because of it`s great shine. However, if you want your car to look good for months and don`t want to wax it every two weeks or so, get Klasse, Zaino, or if you want to stick with Meguiar`s, the #20 poylmer sealent. Klasse or Zaino has the edge as far as shine and durability, but the #20 isn`t too far behind! Also, I use the Gold Class car shampoo, which is great, as well as the #9 Swirl Remover 2.0, which is my favorite swirl remover and prep. It works in well, and comes off easily. Meguiar`s also makes my favorite QD, #34 Final Inspection. This stuff is cheap, works great, doesn`t smear... there`s nothing wrong with it! If you want to go the Meguiar`s route, then use this:

Gold Class shampoo

Medalion Paint Cleaner (if your paint is not fairly new)

#7 or #9 depending on your paint`s condition

#20 Polymer Sealent or Medallion Premium Paint Protectant (I have not used this, but I`ve heard it`s good. Also, if you like Carnauba, the #26 is really good, too. And, as I said earlier, if you want to wax all the time, you can`t go wrong with Gold Class wax)
    -Chuckmotor

Post Thanks / Like
    I am sure you`ve been to the main Meguiar`s USA website at www.meguiars.com and looked at their entire product line. Many of the products available in the US are not distributed in the UK. I looked at Meguiars UK website (www.meguiars.co.uk) and noticed they offer products from their consumer retail line that`s available in stores all over the states.

It`s a bit difficult comparing Meguiar`s to Klasse, Zaino, or Blackfire. These three companies sell products that appeal to the serious enthusiast (anorak ) and should be considered boutique products. Each company offers only a small handful of products and availability is strictly limited to mail order or online sales. A few people have found Klasse being sold by auto accessory retailers. But you`ll never find any of these at a place like Halfords.

By comparison, Meguiar`s offers a huge line of products, some for casual vehicle owners, some for more serious enthusiasts, and others for the paint and body trade. The great thing about Meguar`s is they mfr a product for virtually every need. If you stuck with all Meguiar`s products you`d never really need another brand of car care products.

It`s my understanding that Meguiar`s UK distribution has just been started. I would reckon they`ll expand their product offerings soon. You could always contact them thru their website and ask their plans.

In closing, I think Meguiar`s makes an excellent product for most all car owners except for the most demanding enthusiast. It certainly is better quality that T-Cut, GS27, Turtle Wax, and in some cases, Autoglym (which is pretty nice stuff). So it all depends on how particular you are and what steps you are willing to take to get the results you want. Did you read the comments about Meguiar`s in the January issue of <em class=`bbc`>Classic Cars[/i]? They were quite taken with it.

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank`s for all your replies- Is the Gold Class liquid wax an "all in one " or a pure wax?

It looks like I`ll be staying with Autoglym and Speedwax until Klasse or Zaino start sales in the U.K.

Thanks again for all your help, Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Gold Class is an all in one. And just for the sake of mentioning it, I would say the #26 Yellow Wax gives just a small edge over the Medallion Paint Protectant in shine/gloss. The Medallion, however, is more durable.

BTW, my Zaino is looking amazing in the sunlight. I can`t wait to get out there and layer on the Z2 today!

Post Thanks / Like
    Peter, I emailed Maguiars (UK) a few weeks ago, they do intend bringing over more products but it will take some time. As for Klasse in the UK, I spent a lot of time trying to track down Klasse in Germany with no luck at all. Whoever imports Klasse into America is not giving any secrets away. I think the only way your going to see Klasse is to import it from someone like Tim at Tascar. Blackfire sounds great but there are no plans to ship this stuff over to the UK, your only bet is to find someone in America who is willing to ship it to you. Zaino has a distributor in Germany, maybe one day in the UK? (want to start to your business - I will be first in the queue)

Steven

Alfa 164

Post Thanks / Like
    No, Gold Class isn`t an "all in one". It does not have any serious cleaners in it. It is a polymer blend - and has a few totally non-abrasive cleaners. I like it a lot - excellent gloss, easy to appply and buff, no "white residue" problem. Available as both liquid and paste.

You can layer it - 2 coats is better than one, after that not much advantage. Let the 1st coat cure for an hour before buffing for best results.

More info: http://www.autopia-carport.com/forum...&threadid=5523

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by laynlow [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>I`ve been using Meguiars for a long, long time.

A three step system is, however, a good idea, and can be used with the professional products. My favorites are:

1. Medallion Paint Cleaner
    2. #7 Show Car Glaze or #9 Swirl Remover depending on necessity.
    3. Mediallion Paint Protectant.

You will get great results with the above products, especially if you are using the #7 in the middle.

Today I just tried Zaino with ZFX for the first time. If the durability is as advertised or at least better than the Meguiars, then I am sold. [/b]</blockquote>
    please do report back and feel free to drop me an email or priveate pail through the BBS. I am using the exact same Meguiar`s recipe that you are and am looking to jump to a new brand or stick with Meguiar`s (#20 or Medallion) as I am low on supplies. Zaino is on my short list.

:bounce

Post Thanks / Like
    On my 94 red pickup truck-daily beater) both Medallion and #26 gave about the same shine. The #26 outlasted the Medallion.

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by adc100 [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>On my 94 red pickup truck-daily beater) both Medallion and #26 gave about the same shine. The #26 outlasted the Medallion. [/b]</blockquote>
    Agreed. I`ve tried both and had a problem with dark streaks with Medallion. According to www.thewaxtest.com , Meguiars must have made a change in Medallion`s formula because they reported no streaking problem. Their test also showed that #26 beaded longer than Medallion. I am hoping when their site is finished with the update that they also include Meguiars Polymer #20.

<strong class=`bbc`>Peter[/b]-if I were you, I would hold off on purchasing any Meguiars products until their Mirror Glaze and Professional Body Shop line is available. Their professional lines are probably the best for surface preparation. You`ll probably hear a lot of disagreement over the best wax, but not many would dispute Meguiars has the most comprehensive surface prep product line-although 3M is also very good.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Scottwax [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>Agreed. I`ve tried both and had a problem with dark streaks with Medallion. According to www.thewaxtest.com , Meguiars must have made a change in Medallion`s formula because they reported no streaking problem. Their test also showed that #26 beaded longer than Medallion. I am hoping when their site is finished with the update that they also include Meguiars Polymer #20. [/b]</blockquote>
    I`ve read a number of times in different places that they did indeed reformulate Medallion because the original was problematic. I don`t know how long ago it was though. what`s on the shelves now should be the fine.

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Scottwax [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>-if I were you, I would hold off on purchasing any Meguiars products until their Mirror Glaze and Professional Body Shop line is available. [/b]</blockquote>
    are you saying that they`re going to change their product line from what it is now? I thought I read that once before. will there be any new products?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information