Post Thanks / Like

Stolen License Plates!!

Now that I`ve got your attention, do you want to slow down, or completely prevent this from happening?

I don`t know how it is in everyone`s area, but in my area, license plate theft is on the rise (again) and there is a cheap way to slow down the theft or completely prevent your plates from being stolen AND at the same time, make it easier for YOU to remove your plates at will (these are stainless steel and don`t rust & freeze in place).

I was browsing the car-parts section of my local Wally World and discovered a set of "Anti-Theft License Plate Fasteners." Basically they are Hex-Head screws with the security post in the middle of the opening. So unless you have a hex-head wrench with the hole in the ends to mate up with the head of the screw, you ain`t getting the plates off without major damage to the plates, not to mention the amount of wasted time trying to get the screws out ... crooks want fast & easy and these are anything but. Most license plate screws are flat-head, you can remove them with a coin, but not these. Phillip`s head screws are a LITTLE safer, but a small enough flat screwdriver will still remove them. not these.

They cost me about $10 and took less than 10 minutes to change over on both my wife`s Explorer and my Camaro. Not bad for a few bucks and a few minutes of your time to get some peace of mind.

Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Likes Nizmo, felixthecat liked this post
    Thanks grungy thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stolen License Plates!!

Car theft on the rise or car tab tax on the rise.......

Post Thanks / Like

I used Stainless Pin In Security Torx Screws from my local hardware store. They were < $1.00/each.
    Likes Angus, PRND[S] liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Stolen License Plates!!

I simply slather a hefty coat of DMSO mixed with LSD on my plates... So, if anyone fiddles with them, they will be seeing this all day - starting about 4 seconds after they touch the plate...

Post Thanks / Like

SwanicYouth- Some might consider that a feature, or at least an added bonus

Sooner or later all the [bad individuals] are gonna have those tools for theft-resistant fasteners, but yeah at least it`ll discourage/defeat the casual offender.
    Likes Don, Swanicyouth liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sad. The whole idea of not being a victim is to make it harder than whatever is next/closest to it. If you have anti theft screws and the vehicle next to it has phillips guess who`s gonna get hit first.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    SwanicYouth- Some might consider that a feature, or at least an added bonus

Sooner or later all the [bad individuals] are gonna have those tools for theft-resistant fasteners, but yeah at least it`ll discourage/defeat the casual offender.
    If they want your plate OR your car bad enough they will get it - Fact. But, if my whole car gets taken, that why I have insurance to fight with over the value (LOL).

What I`m trying to avoid are the hassles, legal and otherwise that come from having your plates stolen when the low life puts them on another car, because if they use them in a crime, and witnesses only get a plate number but not a description of the car, you KNOW the local LEOs are going to come knocking ... and if that happens in the middle of the night like it did with a buddy of mine ... I won`t be a happy camper.

In reality, all I`m doing is maybe stopping the local crack-head or petty thief from getting mine (make them put unwanted effort and time into it) and move on.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

I didn`t know, until I bought my BMW, that German cars use a different size bolt for their license plates. I wonder which make that kit fits?

Post Thanks / Like

On the converse, my first truck mod will be getting rid of the factory wheel locks. Anyone who has every wrenched for a living can tell you they absolutely hate these things, as eventually:

1. Wheel lock key will become lost

2. Wheel lock key will break

3. Wheel lock key / a wheel lock will strip.

4. Some "technician" will run your wheel locks in with Snap On`s newest 800 ft/lb air gun when getting tires or state inspection.

Also, there is a 99.9% chance you will not realized any of the above until you HAVE to remove the wheel for some emergency reason...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    On the converse, my first truck mod will be getting rid of the factory wheel locks. Anyone who has every wrenched for a living can tell you they absolutely hate these things, as eventually:

1. Wheel lock key will become lost

2. Wheel lock key will break

3. Wheel lock key / a wheel lock will strip.

4. Some "technician" will run your wheel locks in with Snap On`s newest 800 ft/lb air gun when getting tires or state inspection.

Also, there is a 99.9% chance you will not realized any of the above until you HAVE to remove the wheel for some emergency reason...
    I had heard that spraying Freon on the lug nut and hitting with a hammer removes the part easily. Never needed to try it so not sure how true the story is.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidc View Post
    I had heard that spraying Freon on the lug nut and hitting with a hammer removes the part easily. Never needed to try it so not sure how true the story is.

Dave
    Traditionally, you just beat a smaller impact socket over the wheel lock and it usually comes off. Also, if your an artist - you can blip it with an air chisel...

But I don`t know about freon... wouldn`t you want to expand the wheel lock with heat so the threads are looser? I think freon would make it harder?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    Traditionally, you just beat a smaller impact socket over the wheel lock and it usually comes off. Also, if your an artist - you can blip it with an air chisel...

But I don`t know about freon... wouldn`t you want to expand the wheel lock with heat so the threads are looser? I think freon would make it harder?
    Supposedly freon freezes the metal and the hammer impact will shatter the nut. How you would do all of this (if it even works) I am not sure damage to the rim would not occur.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

twist off sockets... (i think its 24 bucks for a set @ sears.

I tried all methods outside of freon and torch (with the wheel on because customers want the wheel to be in good shape, I did not see either one of those technique to be finish savvy. Plus I was not allowed to let freon into the atmosphere, by law, I worked at a repair shop for a bit of my life.

air chisel works real well as long as you have the clearance for it, but now a days, twist off sockets are the way to go.

Thread Information