Post Thanks / Like

LSP Coating your Garden/Outdoor Tools

Be downright curious..

FluidFilm get`s used alot in my world to keep rust at bay where I don`t mind a wet film being present

With Spring Fever on the way, tablesaws, garden pruners all sharpened up, etc - I`m thinking I MIGHT want to try just using one of my many spray SI0 based sealants on the raw steel surfaces.

It may not replace Boeshield (which still leaves a very light film on it), but my curiosity want`s to know how well a dry product like the stuff we use in the automotive world might fare for the applications I`m thinking about ......

Has anyone done something similar yet ?

FWIW, when I put the snowblower away for hibernation, I Fluid Film the augers and inside bucket, and gave the exterior, chute and even the engine a healthy coat of Hydr02....
    Likes grungy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: LSP Coating your Garden/Outdoor Tools

Haven`t done any outdoor tools, but I do put a coat of Collinite 845 on our backyard slide, and in winter put a coat on the bottom of the sleds.

Post Thanks / Like

I put a coat of FK1000 on the snow shovel every fall -- keeps the snow/ice from sticking to the shovel. Also, use ONR to clean the exterior glass--great lube for the squeegee and the windows stay cleaner longer.
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, no way am I gonna bother with that; I`m purely form-follows-function about such stuff (and still using perfectly OK tools that`ve been treated that way for many decades).

Post Thanks / Like

I hate seeing stuff hanging on wall - so the majority of my stuff are in toolbox drawers.
    Yeah, the stuff I use to keep them ~oiled and mitigating surface rust~ , it leaves a thin waxy film once.
    Not exactly my preferred way of having various pruners, loppers, etc - with this waxy film in the drawers, getting onto handles and such.

LOL, In a ideal world, all tools would never rust, and have this magic clearcoat on the.

Post Thanks / Like

Huh, never treated my loppers. But then I`m run a dehumidifier in that area when I think it`s necessary so I guess that`s a big factor (outdoor tools/equipment are in a climate-controlled, semi-finished subbasement).

Wouldn`t want messy stuff on the handles..the wooden handles get Murphy`s Oil Soap once in a blue moon, the plastic ones just get wiped with [some cleaner] if they`re nasty.

Never used my Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector on such stuff, but I do sometimes think of the "bucket of oily sand" approach for some stuff like shovels, it works great for lots of people.

Post Thanks / Like

Boeshield is the best thing for cabinet saw tops.
    Learning tips and tricks from fellow board members since 2009

Post Thanks / Like

I use HydroFoam to clean my snow blower and tractor. Clean & protect in 1 step - very easy.

Post Thanks / Like

Something like Poorboy`s Wheel Sealant would probably work well on unfinished metal. I need to try this. I don`t really like to use it on wheels just because it is so difficult to remove, but it might be worth it on garden shears and the like. Most SiO2 products were designed to bond to paint, so I think a sealant would provide more protection. It`s good to think outside the box to use up some of the automotive products I have sitting around.

Thread Information