Post Thanks / Like

Sheet Metalist Roy Smith

Boyd Coddington
    I watched the show the other day and supposdely it was an 06 taping,
    anyways Roy Smith the sheet metal guy became sick and passed away

Totally shocked me i didn`t know he had passed away and wouldn`t
    have known if i hadn`t taped the show. Roy and his side kick Leo was a lot
    of fun to watch. Life is short, Too Short..

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sheet Metalist Roy Smith

i saw that eppisode its to bad he passed. he was a funny guy. He will be missed by the shows viewers but im sure he will be missed more by freinds and family. I guees we all have to end it at some time
    06 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw that episode. I think it originally aired a few months ago. Roy & Lee were a lot of fun to watch. They were like a modern day Laurel and Hardy except Roy knew how to work metal.

I`m not a big fan of Boyd`s though. I`m sure it`s no accident that a lot of the guys you used to watch on American Hot Rod (Boyd`s show) you later see on Overhaulin` (Chip Foose`s show). Now, it could be the magic of TV editing but to me it seems Chip is a much nicer guy to work for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyc
    I saw that episode. I think it originally aired a few months ago. Roy & Lee were a lot of fun to watch. They were like a modern day Laurel and Hardy except Roy knew how to work metal.

(Chip Foose`s show). Now, it could be the magic of TV editing but to me it seems Chip is a much nicer guy to work for.
    Boyd sets crazy deadlines for his crew,they hump and bust there arse with no time for themselfs. If you remember Charlie, Mike and Bluebeard(think it was him)all went to work for chip Foose. Someone said Boyd was fined Millions of dollars for misrepresenting the cars he built,i think they said it was for tax reasons, but i dunno..

2005 F-150 FX4 supercrew
    Post Thanks / Like

Gary Woodford from southern steel or milwaukee iron, Discovery channels other motorcycle show also died..He was the guy with the long beard.
    The shows not as popular as american hot rod though..

http://www.milwaukeeiron.com/item.as...=0&Backlink=No

TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joe.p
    Boyd sets crazy deadlines for his crew,they hump and bust there arse with no time for themselfs. If you remember Charlie, Mike and Bluebeard(think it was him)all went to work for chip Foose. Someone said Boyd was fined Millions of dollars for misrepresenting the cars he built,i think they said it was for tax reasons, but i dunno..
    Are you talking about Blue Bear? I didn`t know he went to work for Foose. I`ve definitely seen Mike and Charlie on Overhaulin` and/or Rides though working for Chip. Charlie even went so far as to say to Chip "you`ve restored my love of working on cars."

I read an article a while back about Boyd`s legal troubles. The issue as I remember it had to do with how he was registering the cars he was building. I believe he was registering them as classics and they needed to be registered as new cars. I think registering them as classic cars saved on registration fees or taxes. I don`t recall exactly.

Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RobNY
    Gary Woodford from southern steel or milwaukee iron, Discovery channels other motorcycle show also died..He was the guy with the long beard.
    The shows not as popular as american hot rod though..

http://www.milwaukeeiron.com/item.as...=0&Backlink=No

Wow, I never knew he passed. He was a cool guy. Had a funny arse laugh. Didn`t know Roay passed either. Guess I`m not watching TV as much as I used to.
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyc

I`m not a big fan of Boyd`s though. I`m sure it`s no accident that a lot of the guys you used to watch on American Hot Rod (Boyd`s show) you later see on Overhaulin` (Chip Foose`s show). Now, it could be the magic of TV editing but to me it seems Chip is a much nicer guy to work for.

Last year I had the chance to meet and talk to both Chip and Boyd at a Good Guys show in Columbus. Boyd came across as a know it all A$$, while Chip would actually listen to you and treated you like one of his crew. Plus Chip is a real artist where Boyd just has a bunch of hired guns and puts his name on it and calls it his own.

Don't shop at Wal-Mart
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to say, after watching 1 or 2 episodes of Boyd Coddington, not only did I stop viewing the show, but I would never consider buying one of his cars. I watched the mechanics rush around and glue those things together in a panic. To give that guy $100 to $200k for that level of service is ridiculous. The cars seem to completely lack engineering of any kind. The way the show is filmed, it appears the entire build process lacks project management. If I worked there, I`d resign also.

Post Thanks / Like

Roy passed back in November I believe. I used to watch American Hotrod a lot but not so much anymore. If you want to watch a good show- Overhaulin` with Chip Foose. I agree that Boyd is a little hard headed but Chip is a great guy. He takes care of his guys and they take care of him, win win situation.
    "Whether you think you can or think you can`t - you are right " -Henry Ford

Post Thanks / Like

It`s all about TV drama. Boyd is giving what the producers want. They wanted Chip to add some drama to his show and he said no. It`s either my way (Chip) or no way. Chip would rather have everyone get along and built and awesome car. One of these days I would love to meet Chip Foose he is always cool and collected about everything. He really enjoyes what he does for a living.

Sorry about getting off topic about Roy. He was about the only guy I cared for on American Hotrod. It`s sad to see him go. I still couldn`t watch the show because of Boyd and his project manager ( can`t remember his name)

Chubs

Post Thanks / Like

Back in 1994, I finished second in a contest in Car Craft and have some Foose artwork as my prize.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Help, I wanna be a proton
    Post Thanks / Like

Trust me, Boyd isa royal @ss. He was at Barrett Jacksons about 15 years ago, before the first time he filed for bankruptcy, and still had his first wife and I was washing some cars for him. I have never felt so maligned in my life. Even if somethign was perfect, he wanted more. He would spend 30 minutes looking at a car after a wahs to see if there was anything on it, just so it could run through the auction, and sometimes he would find stuff that no one else could see, just to prove how good he is. He is over rated and a LOUSY businessman. Of course, that is just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chubs
    I still couldn`t watch the show because of Boyd and his project manager ( can`t remember his name)
    Dwayne is his name. He`s just a total tool to sum it up.

The other guys seems real nice like Al (the guy with the big moustache), Thomas the Swedish guy and I really liked Scott, the guy with the 1950`s hairdo that left the show a few weeks ago. They`re all excellent craftsmen and seem very likeable. Blue Bear was a character!

The fella Roy was a serious chain smoker. He was a miserable character, but fun to watch.

I feel bad for the guy from Milwaukee Iron. He too seemed like a fun guy - a bit weird, but fun to watch. His laugh sounded like an evil elf or something!
    Seth

Thread Information