Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Epi-pens

Post Thanks / Like

Epi-pens

I just heard the price of Epi-pens jumped up 400 percent. I get allergy shots and my doctor requires me to buy them. They expire after 1 year. Dang. The drug only costs them $1. It`s the delivery system that costs so much. I think this will contribute to many more deaths, especially in children. Big Pharma needs to be reigned in. Quickly.
    Likes Bunky, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Epi-pens

Big pharmaceutical companies will continue to make huge price hikes as long as we have lawyers. Every night you see a new lawsuit being advertised on TV against the pharmaceutical companies. We are a litigious society and unfortunately high prices for drugs is one of the consequences.

I feel for you having to shell out 4x what you were paying. I have no experience in the drug/medical field. I`m just making an educated guess as to why drugs keep going up. I also know that it can cost billions of dollars just to develop one new drug, through, research, and FDA testing.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I can`t wait....

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

They used to offer in a case, a dual syringe or single. Of epi and Benadryl, or just epi. Ck with pharmacist (hello swani)
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Just a shame when the drug (epinephrine) is so cheap and some jackass can charge whatever he feels like. I hope they charge him for ice water in hell.
    Likes Stokdgs, trashmanssd, aceone liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I just heard the price of Epi-pens jumped up 400 percent. I get allergy shots and my doctor requires me to buy them. They expire after 1 year. Dang. The drug only costs them $1. It`s the delivery system that costs so much. I think this will contribute to many more deaths, especially in children. Big Pharma needs to be reigned in. Quickly.
    Yeah, they are getting so expensive and I have to have them for my nut allergy. Luckily I`ve never had to use one, but I still have to carry it just in case. It really can be a life or death thing for some people
    Likes Stokdgs, aceone liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve heard the average price now is around $500 which is outrageous! Something to do with no more competition due to the other manufacturer having to re-call their product. It`s pure greed and shouldn`t be allowed.
    Likes Stokdgs, aceone liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Our pharmacist years ago couldn`t get the kits with the syringe, tourniquet and the Benadryl tablets. They were hard to get from the manufacturer and supplier. The syringes had enough for a second injection if needed. I have been fortunate that I have not had to use one. Supposed to carry one but haven`t had my prescription filled in years. Thanks to Obamacare all pharmaceuticals for us that can afford them have pretty much have tripled or more. What is sad is that the doctors are charging up the back side also. A prescription that I was taking for half my life I only had to see the doctor every 3 to 4 years to get it renewed all of a sudden I need to see the doctor every year. Last time the doctor asked a few questions wrote a script that lasts one year and the visit cost me over $500 out-of-pocket and that was for a $8 a month prescription that went up to $20 a month about the time Obamacare was passed. I quit taking that one and working on taking care of it naturally.
    Dean.
    Likes Stokdgs, Migue, trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, just Googled some articles about this and I know I haven`t renewed mine in a number of years but at up to $600 an injector is total price gouging. What happened to going after companies that monopolize stuff. Here is why we have such a crappy health care system.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

Same delivery/auto injector system as Mark I kits....... Short supply = higher costs?
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

From what I can gather, there were two makers of epi-pens. One had problems with dosing so it was pulled off the market. Now the only player is raising prices and marketing more. No supply problems, just greed and bottom line. The manufacturer gets 41 percent of all profits from epi-pens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    From what I can gather, there were two makers of epi-pens. One had problems with dosing so it was pulled off the market. Now the only player is raising prices and marketing more. No supply problems, just greed and bottom line. The manufacturer gets 41 percent of all profits from epi-pens.
    It was a different type of deliver system.

Post Thanks / Like

Just read the top executives of the company gave themselves massive raises this year. I believe the CEO took an $18mil raise.

It`s about shareholder profit, they don`t give a damn that it`s morally wrong, it makes them tons of money. Perfect example of what`s wrong with our country`s health care system
    shanesautodetail.com
    facebook.com/shanesautodetail
    Likes Bunky, RaskyR1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I just don`t understand how the price for something on this can go up. They`ve been around forever, the development costs have been covered. They should be getting cheaper, not more expensive. This is just big business greed at it`s worst.
    Likes rlmccarty2000, RaskyR1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That`s what I thought. They should get cheaper, but the manufacturer is saying he`s the good guy by advertising his product on tv to save more people. If you have seen any of those commercials it`s pure scare tactics. The people in the commercials have reactions to something like peanuts and go into anaphylactic shock and don`t have their Epi-pens with them. It frightens people into buying more of their product. Just scoundrels.
    Likes The Driver liked this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information