Post Thanks / Like

How will "Brexit" affect detailing?

While this may seem like a strange and totally unrelated topic to detailing, the economic impact it will have on all of us, and not just Autopian detailers , is already coming into play. There are both negative and positive economic implications for detailing in particular that I would like to comment on and get my fellow Autopian thoughts on.

1) The strong(er) dollar will make European-made products cheaper to buy.
    If tariffs and import taxes are not increased, there are host of European-made manufacturers of detailing car-care chemicals and equipment that in the near future may be less expensive for Autopians to buy. Chances are that there are SOME European chemical products or equipment in an Autopian`s collection. If you own an Italian-made Rupes or German-made Flex polisher, you know what I mean. English-made AutoGlym, German-made Menzerna, Sonus, Polish Angel, Einzsett, Swiss-made SwissVax are all chemical manufactures that will be affected by this.

2) Less new cars may be sold.
    The fact that this economic fallout may at least slow down the US economy and have an effect on the buying-power of US consumers is one we can all relate to. Let`s face it: American vehicle-owners are holding on to their current car/truck/van/SUV/motorbike longer than any period in US auto history AND there are more vehicles on the road than ever before presents an opportunity for those who service such vehicles. These include repair shop mechanics, auto body repair shop technicians, carwash places, and Autopian detailers.
    The upside to this is that those who do wish to keep their aging vehicle looking nice will come to professional detailers to do so and I am sure that many of you who are such people know that you have cleaned and detailed the same vehicle more than once from your (returning) customer/clientele.
    The downside is that when times get economically tough/challenged, vehicle appearance takes a back-seat to other discressionary spending priorities, and detailers suffer the financial consequences. Those of you who follow this forum need only to be reminded of David Fermani`s excellent photo expose on abandoned detail shops in the Detroit area on what can happen in depressed economic areas of America. It`s a (very) sad picture of what happened to a once-thriving area of this country.

3) Control what you can and be smart about it.
    What I mean by this is just what it says; stay focused on what you do and what your priorities are in life. If you get too concerned about news reports and the end-of-the-economic-world-as-we-know-it, you will panic and make bad decisions. I am not saying you shouldn`t worry about a job or employment status or even your investments or bank account. We ALL have important economic decisions to make and contend with. Ultimately, though, YOU have to work through them. Doesn`t mean your "priorities" won`t change or that there are situations that seem out-of-your-control, or that bad things are or will happen. How you plan for or relate to them, though, is up to you. Don`t be self-reliant and too proud to NOT talk to someone who can help you, and that includes (most importantly) your significant-other, family members, church clergy, financial planners, health professionals, and help-groups.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How will "Brexit" affect detailing?

Maybe there will be a big drop in the price of Dodo Juice products. Lol
    Likes tropicsteve liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

How will "Brexit" affect detailing?

Prolly eventually lead to WW III...

Then we`ll all be polishing tanks and airplanes.

Anyone know how thick the paint is on an M1 Abrams tank?

^ I think for that I would go with a coating.
    Thanks NathanDrake thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

We used to apply brake fluid to the exterior to give them a sheen. Soldiers will do funny stuff prior to an inspection.

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing is going to happen, at least not for the worse.
    Likes House of Wax liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m buying lots of uk stuff right now. 1.32 gbp to 1 usd!
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    Prolly eventually lead to WW III...

Then we`ll all be polishing tanks and airplanes.

Anyone know how thick the paint is on an M1 Abrams tank?

^ I think for that I would go with a coating.
    MILSPRAY | United States Army | Why CARC?

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    We used to apply brake fluid to the exterior to give them a sheen. Soldiers will do funny stuff prior to an inspection.
    We never put brake fluid on them but I can agree about doing some "funny stuff" for inspections. Thank goodness our vehicles weren`t frequently the thing they inspected. Being a mechanic meant we had the biggest, dirtiest beaters in the squadron. :\ They loved them in a line at Carson. Had to be perfectly in line with the rest and perfectly straight (truck and trailer). Unfortunately, there only seemed to be 2 people in the company that could back a trailer... so we got stuck with it a lot.
    “Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.” - Plato

Now, if you will excuse me, I must go pray for wisdom from the Meguiar`s gods.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RDKC View Post
    Yes, I read all that....

How is it with water spots?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    Yes, I read all that....

How is it with water spots?
    I can`t say I ever saw any. It does love to flake off though, especially the aluminum bodied HMMWV. Pretty rough surface too.

Not that chemical warfare is currently a serious concern (right now) but I think putting anything on that (including brake fluid ) would interfere with its intended purpose.

Would be interesting to see what you could do though, as long as a mask was worn during the process.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    “Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.” - Plato

Now, if you will excuse me, I must go pray for wisdom from the Meguiar`s gods.

Thread Information