Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RC Trucks/cars

Post Thanks / Like

RC Trucks/cars

Anyone in the hobby. During a move you pray you find things! Remember ZIP ZAPS? They were all the craze years ago. I have the hulk monster truck. Micro rc at its best. I have all the hop ups too. Gears/engines etc. On a larger scale, I also have radio shacks flashthron 2 buggy. Really good shape. This thing moves. Nice rc buggy. Picture of one is not mine.

EBF0FDBF-D4A4-42F9-95D1-8E56CAC4E4AE_zpsmuopmdjo.jpg
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Re: RC Trucks/cars

My mom gave me my brothers old Tyco RC car and my old Tyco Hovercraft had been sitting in one of our old bedroom closets for around 25 years. They were from the late 80s. Battery packs were not leaking, which was a pleasant surprise.

Long story short, I found the old original charger and charged up the battery, under very close supervision. Wouldnt you know it, after 25 years the batteries took a charge and both car and hovercraft worked for about 5-10 minutes. I was blown away that the batteries were still functional. Even found a hobby shop online selling aftermarket batteries with Tyco OEM connecter. They both work flawlessly. I loved RC cars, but they never kept me satisfied. I needed to be in the car before I found my true hobby.

Post Thanks / Like

Daughter and I both have Rustlers. Mine has a 4600 Castle brushless motor and hers has a much less crazy one but cant remember at the moment which. We have some good times when we do get em out, that usually includes one or the other breaking something. Mines down with a broken rear shock right now. Lol
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

I was into it big in the late 80s early 90s. I used to race 1/10 scale electric off road truck. I wasnt that great at it but it was a lot of funand still have the box of trophies from back then mostly second and third place though. We moved indoors shortly after that and raced on carpet every Sunday or evry other Sunday, dont quite remember and that took different equipment for carpet. While into racing I bought a nitro powered off road race truck by Traxxas, .15 power with a top speed of over 40. That was back when Traxxas was just starting out before they hit it big. Then they made top notch affordable equipment when the other two major manufacturers were higher priced. Then bought a 46" Scarab boat powered by a 22cc McCulloch weed whacker engine, top speed on smooth as glass water roughly 25 mph. Then lastly bought a 1/8 scale version of the USA1 monter truck 4X4 powered by a .21 nitro engine. Still have it all but have done anything with them in over 15 years. Dont even ask how much I have into the stuff.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailng View Post
    My mom gave me my brothers old Tyco RC car and my old Tyco Hovercraft had been sitting in one of our old bedroom closets for around 25 years. They were from the late 80s. Battery packs were not leaking, which was a pleasant surprise.

Long story short, I found the old original charger and charged up the battery, under very close supervision. Wouldnt you know it, after 25 years the batteries took a charge and both car and hovercraft worked for about 5-10 minutes. I was blown away that the batteries were still functional. Even found a hobby shop online selling aftermarket batteries with Tyco OEM connecter. They both work flawlessly. I loved RC cars, but they never kept me satisfied. I needed to be in the car before I found my true hobby.
    Breaking them and fixing them is part of the fun! I have several trucks including a rustler.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont have a lot of pictures of my on-road car but here are a couple of the chassis and it setting on the trunk of my old caddi. The main problem with it is too much power to control even at half throttle doing probably 40+ you open it up it will just spin out. The Castle 5700kv motor has more than I was expecting. But it seems too much power is normal for me. I had a tunnel hull I built with a KB .67 outboard that was the same. get it up to half throttle and open it up it would just flip over backwards. I also got a scale formula 402 which had twin 45 OS IOs and they ended up with some metal filings and were junk so I put two OS 77s in iot but before I could finish it our shop got broken into and it was stolen. The one that had no problems was a Kyosho Inferno with a OS RBX 21 that really was a lot of fun.

Here are some pics of my current toy which is quite hard to control because of the power but still a lot of fun as ;long as you stay under half throttle. Maybe if I could add a pound or two since it is just over 3 it would hook up but dont know where I could add that much weight. Also a couple of the bare chassis and a second body which is almost a copy of a 65 Mustang I once owned.

Likes skibik, 4u2nvinmtl, AndyA62 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I had a 4wd nitro truck years ago. So much fun. Its as addicting as any other hobby. Dont even remotely have the time for it now, but maybe will get back into it when my son is older

Post Thanks / Like

Well found out yesterday it no workey. It just revs full bore? Oh well. Parts are long out of production and probably not worth getting fixed. Might look into a new buggy if i want to. Have a whole parking lot behind the house to run one.

Buggy Radio Car 1/16 2.4Ghz Exceed RC Blaze EP Electric RTR Off Road Buggy Wild Blue RC Remote Control

May be looking at this one......
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Helped build a Toyota 4-wheel drive monster back in 86 - metal chassis, 3-speed tranny. Long build and short run-time compared to what we expect now but a great dirt machine from a long ago era.

-grungy
    Learning tips and tricks from fellow board members since 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I have been doing research the past couple of week`s. It`s worse that shopping for a real car! So many choices!!! Traxxas/ECX/HPI/ETC.....And brushless/brushed motors. I have it narrowed down to some choices. This is not a cheap hobby!

ECX CIRCUIT BEUSHLESS RTR...
    Circuit 1:10 4wd ST BL, AVC: RTR (ECX03017): ECX RC

TRAXXAS 1/16 BRUSHLESS REVO...
    https://traxxas.com/products/models/...vo-vxl-116-tsm
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post
    Wow! I have been doing research the past couple of week`s. It`s worse that shopping for a real car! So many choices!!! Traxxas/ECX/HPI/ETC.....And brushless/brushed motors. I have it narrowed down to some choices. This is not a cheap hobby!

ECX CIRCUIT BEUSHLESS RTR...
    Circuit 1:10 4wd ST BL, AVC: RTR (ECX03017): ECX RC

TRAXXAS 1/16 BRUSHLESS REVO...
    https://traxxas.com/products/models/...vo-vxl-116-tsm

Just like any hobby. It cost money to have that kind of fun. The 2 big ones when I raced were Losi and AE(Associated Electric). Kyosho was another but then they were big into off road gas or nitro. Then Traxxas was just coming on the scene. It is definitely not your Radio Shack RC car when you get into the higher end brands. I would almost hate to take mine out now because if I break an a-arm or other part I don`t think there are parts available for it since they have been discontinued for 15 to 20 years.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

PA, I would strongly urge you to look at 1/10th scale instead of 1/16 Parts arent that much more to upgrade or repair and a bigger truck will go more places.
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    PA, I would strongly urge you to look at 1/10th scale instead of 1/16 Parts arent that much more to upgrade or repair and a bigger truck will go more places.
    +1. I just noticed after clicking on the link that it was 1/16th scale. 1/10th is what I have and looking at the comparison I can`t believe that the 1/16 is actually that small. Almost looks like it is sitting next to an 1/8 scale. But it is your money buy what makes you happy.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 1/10 scale. I have stadium truck that I have maintained for 8+ years. Causal fun, no formal racing.

There are many "ready to race" (RTR) setups that are worth the investment in fun. I love my nitro but in reality the brushless electric racers are probably your best bet in terms of ease and power. Also IMO, go 4wd for casual of road fun.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, 1/10 is the way to go. Really thinking brushless is kind of overkill for what i am going to use it for. ECX makes a great 4x4 circuit stadium truck that gets good reviews. RTR. I am leaning towards this. And parts are easy to get. Your thoughts?

Circuit 1:10 4wd Stadium Truck Brushed: RTR (ECX03041): ECX RC
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information