Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Minimum Wage

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Minimum Wage

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Jealous of other countries ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Get real !!! Maybe their tax rates, but other than that Pffft !

Education is primarily the states responsibility ??? It was, till the fed started kickin in funds.

Fed $$$$ equals Fed CONTROL !!!
    But Trumps says we need to be great AGAIN? I think and most of the world thinks we ARE great !!!

If businesses ran the school systems, we might get some place .. just a thought
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    But Trumps says we need to be great AGAIN? I think and most of the world thinks we ARE great !!!

We definitely are not as industrious or successful as we were.

Amen to running schools like a business, as well as towns, counties, states and of course the federal government.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

We definitely are not as industrious or successful as we were.

Amen to running schools like a business, as well as towns, counties, states and of course the federal government.
    but what will we do with all the politicians

Post Thanks / Like

but what will we do with all the politicians
    Send them to Hollywood so they can be with their friends and the can ACT like they care about the US.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes Stokdgs, Lonnie liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the national debt puts a dollar figure on everyones head of 160k. Not to great if you ask me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    Not sure I would call places like this a democracy. Dont they have a queen? If you recall, we fought a war like 200 and some years ago to get away from Kings/Queens and unfair taxes. Our system may be broke - but this isnt the answer for America.
    Are you saying the UK is not a democracy because they have a queen?

If you believe this in wikipedia from the Economist magazine we score below Denmark and other countries in their score of democracies. Do you think the Uk, Germany, Australia, etc to be democracies? The fact we have two well disliked candidates (Trump and Clinton) leading each party show the system is not right. We are not getting good choices. The dem party has all those unaffiliated candidates so Bernie really did not have a chance since they are going to go with Clinton.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_Index

We are getting further behind than other countries in many areas and our arrogance is part of the blame. Low government spending has worked so well for states like Mississippi - not.

Some people like the social system - well a lot of the world. Singapore is supposedly a leader in business friendliness but they have quite a soclalistic system. It costs a min $50k to own a car that we pay $20k - low taxes?.well depends.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    Are you saying the UK is not a democracy because they have a queen?

If you believe this in wikipedia from the Economist magazine we score below Denmark and other countries in their score of democracies. Do you think the Uk, Germany, Australia, etc to be democracies? The fact we have two well disliked candidates (Trump and Clinton) leading each party show the system is not right. We are not getting good choices. The dem party has all those unaffiliated candidates so Bernie really did not have a chance since they are going to go with Clinton.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_Index

We are getting further behind than other countries in many areas and our arrogance is part of the blame. Low government spending has worked so well for states like Mississippi - not.

Some people like the social system - well a lot of the world. Singapore is supposedly a leader in business friendliness but they have quite a soclalistic system. It costs a min $50k to own a car that we pay $20k - low taxes?.well depends.
    Arrogance ???!!! Seriously ?!?!?!?!

Thats what weve been missing for years, realizing that America is EXCEPTIONAL !!!

Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Bunky I would have a beer with you!

Everyone on this thread needs to drink a beer.
    Prayer of St.Francis
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69ni2...endscreen&NR=1
    Likes Bunky liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thats what weve been missing for years, realizing that America is EXCEPTIONAL !!!
    The US is exceptional in many areas however it does not mean our way of doing things is best for some and their way may not be best for us. Some want a theocracy (or claim it is a theocracy) including people in our country. If they want a more social civil society and others want a free for all where the rich take advantage of everyone else that is their choice.

The question is by what standard. We are are not exceptional in health care, education, low violence, etc. These would be measures Christians would want.

I am sure someone can fact check this except from a movie.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, religion and politics: two subjects I was told to NEVER bring up in public "discussions" or in forums such as these. Anyone who has followed this thread/topic this far has seen the full gambit run from economics, to teachers, to political leaders, to moral issues, to religion, to immigration and foreign workers and everything in between.

At some point, the admins and moderators may step in and shut this thread down as being too divisive, and way beyond what is allowable or acceptable for "Hot Tub" topics. But before that happens I would like to give some observations and opinions that are food for thought about this issue of minimum wage.
    1) America, as a county, has lost its way economically. We buy (import) more that we produce within and sell oversea (export). Its NOT the recipe for financial success, and you do not need to be an economist to know that. At some point you and I (since the people ARE America) will be forced to pay up and pay back. How and when and by whom is the subject of great debate and not the focus of this point, but it is inevitable.
    2) Because we no long produce internally within this county, there are less jobs. Im talking manufacturing jobs, not service jobs, that pay better because they produce a better profit than lower margin-and-profit service jobs. Tariffs on imports and protectionism will NOT produce these jobs. The countries you do business with need to WANT to buy your products or services. So what does America sell that they want today? Entertainment like movies, music, and video games. Investments like stocks and bonds (who do think is funding our national debt!) Weapons and military prowess to protect their interest. Yes, there are some things, like food, that they buy, but we also GIVE a lot of that away in humanitarian relief efforts, both federally and privately. Without good manufacturing jobs internally that produce some things we need and buy and sell to the rest of the world, national wealth will diminish or become non-existent.
    3) The family unit, or more precisely, the lack thereof and its all-inclusiveness and re-definition is hurting our next generations. Say what you will and the father/mother traditional roles, the lack of parenthood is hurting the economic abilities of our young people. Education begins in the home and if life skills are not taught there, we cannot place that responsibility on the schools and teachers. So if a young person never learns to cope with the opposite sex because his/her same-sex parents are legally married but cannot relate to the childs question is it our schools failure?? Or if a single mom cannot teach her child respect for a male role model or authority, like a sports coach or work supervisor, is it our school teachers place to teach that? NO, real education starts in the family by both parents, male and female. You can disagree all you want, call me a bigot or a person hater, but I see this in our schools and our prison systems filled with young people who did not have the proper nurturing, love, and character-developement, and that responsibility can only rest on the parents (or parent).
    4) I never forgot a proverb told to me by my work supervisor, now many years ago; "You cannot legislate morality, only immorality." He is correct in that assessment when I think of all the things that our government at ALL levels has allowed. This particular proverb was given when my state of Wisconsin legalized gambling and the lottery. As long as the state can make money from it, it should be legal, and since it happens anyway, why let the underworld profit from it. Some have characterized this issue of the minimum wage as a moral issue, and in some ways, it is. Morality must come from WITHIN the person and society, it cannot be dictated or forced. The concept of right-or-wrong and no absolutes is the reason why we have the chaos as we do. I am not going to get on my God-fearing-creationist-Ten commandments horse. I dont need to. This whole thread speaks for itself and the results are self-evident. You are the judge whether this is the truth or just an old mans opinion that should be banned and censored from this forum. Ill leave that to you and this forums admins to decide.
    GB detailer
    Likes Ronkh, Stokdgs, Poorboy, FIDOAG14, davidc liked this post
    Thanks Ronkh, Stokdgs, nickclark08, davidc thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well said Lonnie

Bravo !!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice observations Lonnie and i do not think they ban people for their thoughts .... anyone taking a political thread too seriously on a Detailing forum .. really needs to get a life ...

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and their views of society .. a global economy has changed company goals as well as the labor force that goes with it ...

Family life again is what people make of it or do not make of it ... live a good, responsible life and hopefully you will get the results you expect for yourself

Likes Lonnie, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    . We are are not exceptional in health care, education, low violence, etc.]
    Surprise; I will disagree.

Healthcare (one word)

We have the absolute best available healthcare in the World. People travel from around the globe to receive treatments here in the USA, that their Govt. has determined are too expensive or that their Govt. has determined they will have to wait a year to receive.

With the passage of the Affordable Care Act, every single American Citizen has health insurance.

Even if you somehow, dont have health insurance...show up at any hospital and they are forced to treat you regardless of your ability to pay or citizenship. Medical bills are no longer a factor in determining your credit score. Indigent care is funded by Medicaid & County Funding. There are free and almost free Clinics available for everything from Dental care to pre-natal services.

Scandinavia is inhabited by a mostly genous population of Scandinavians, who are not obese, do not have diabetes.
    Their healthcare costs have very little relevance to the circumstances in the USA.

Education

We spend more per student than almost any other country.

Give Parents School Choice and Vouchers. Let their Dollars decide. Public or Private.

In in many countries with Free University; not everyone gets in. There are entrance exams to make sure only the best prepared Students with the highest possible ROI are Allowed to attend. If you dont score high enough...you dont get to attend.

Please have some pride in this Great Country and say something positive in your next post.
    https://m.facebook.com/detailedbykyle?_rdr
    Likes Ronkh, Poorboy liked this post
    Thanks Ronkh thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Only thing I disagree with is that every person has healthcare.

Many chose not to enroll.

But entrance exams to get into college?? Thats "not fair".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    Surprise; I will disagree.

Healthcare (one word)

We have the absolute best available healthcare in the World. People travel from around the globe to receive treatments here in the USA, that their Govt. has determined are too expensive or that their Govt. has determined they will have to wait a year to receive.

With the passage of the Affordable Care Act, every single American Citizen has health insurance.

Even if you somehow, dont have health insurance...show up at any hospital and they are forced to treat you regardless of your ability to pay or citizenship. Medical bills are no longer a factor in determining your credit score. Indigent care is funded by Medicaid & County Funding. There are free and almost free Clinics available for everything from Dental care to pre-natal services.

Scandinavia is inhabited by a mostly genous population of Scandinavians, who are not obese, do not have diabetes.
    Their healthcare costs have very little relevance to the circumstances in the USA.

Education

We spend more per student than almost any other country.

Give Parents School Choice and Vouchers. Let their Dollars decide. Public or Private.

In in many countries with Free University; not everyone gets in. There are entrance exams to make sure only the best prepared Students with the highest possible ROI are Allowed to attend. If you dont score high enough...you dont get to attend.

Please have some pride in this Great Country and say something positive in your next post.
    I will agree with almost all of the true facts except School Choice or Vouchers ... the biggest problem is too many children are left behind in bad schools ... even though in theory this was thought to be better, it is only better for a few. This is why .. in large cities with minimal school budgets, you can get some very successful magnet schools where everyone wants to go (we have them here in Florida) and they often do it by a lottery system to be fair but not by earning it and parents get their kids out of a poorly rated high school. They are not going to fire all the teachers or close the not so good high school as they have no where else to send them. When enough kids find a way out, they bus them in from other towns to fill the classrooms. In a perfect society when money is no object, there are only great teachers and bad teachers can be fired for poor performance, this might work.
    For private school vouchers, this will overload the private school system unless as I stated on an earlier post, that businesses are allowed to run schools and train them to fill jobs of the future not jobs of the past. Imagine an Apple School? IBM ? Ford? GM? etc ...

and one last point .. yes in foreign countries not everyone gets accepted, but not everyone should be going to a 4 year college .. there should be more trade schools and apprenticeships to expand useful employment.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread Information