Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Minimum Wage

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Minimum Wage

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    I know there has been prior stuff posted but if they are happy then it should not matter. One should not judge a countrys "success" by your way and choose their own life style. They are smart enough to let another country spend $600 Billion a year being the world police.

They likely consider us the losers who seem to like to kill each other, weak uneven education system, health care that bankrupts people, a country that advocates human rights but has its own internal issues, and just being an annoying jerk in the world. Trump likely personifies the worlds view of us.
    Bunky,

I just poured a Beer down the drain...it was the one that I planned on sharing with you...changed my mind
    https://m.facebook.com/detailedbykyle?_rdr
    Likes Swanicyouth liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I really shouldnt post, and I say it every time I do.

However, I would just like to point out a few things. If you agree, thats great. If you dont, thats great. I am not here to influence your decisions, merely to state information.

To begin:
    The purpose of the minimum wage was to stabilize the post-depression economy and protect the workers in the labor force. The minimum wage was designed to create a minimum standard of living to protect the health and well-being of employees. Others have argued that the primary purpose was to aid the lowest paid of the nations working population, those who lacked sufficient bargaining power to secure for themselves a minimum subsistence wage.
    - https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/minimum_wage

The FLSA introduced sweeping regulations to protect American workers from being exploited, and created a mandatory federal minimum wage of 25 cents an hour in order to maintain a "minimum standard of living necessary for health, efficiency and general well-being, without substantially curtailing employment".
    - History of the United States Minimum Wage | Minimum-Wage.org

If you dont believe those sources are quite good enough, lets throw in a few quotes for good measure.

...no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country.
    - President Franklin Roosevelt (Franklin Roosevelts Statement on the National Industrial Recovery Act - June 16, 1933)

...by living wages I mean more than a bare subsistence level-I mean the wages of decent living.
    - President Franklin Roosevelt (Franklin Roosevelts Statement on the National Industrial Recovery Act - June 16, 1933)

I am fully aware that wage increases will eventually raise costs, but I ask that managements give first consideration to the improvement of operating figures by greatly increased sales to be expected from the rising purchasing power of the public. That is good economics and good business. The aim of this whole effort is to restore our rich domestic market by raising its vast consuming capacity.

Do not let any calamity-howling executive with an income of $1,000 a day, who has been turning his employees over to the Government relief rolls in order to preserve his companys undistributed reserves, tell you—using his stockholders money to pay the postage for his personal opinions-/that a wage of $11 a week is going to have a disastrous effect on all American industry. Fortunately for business as a whole, and therefore for the Nation, that type of executive is a rarity with whom most business executives heartily disagree.
    - President Franklin Roosevelt (Fireside Chat - June 24, 1938)

I think this is long enough and will stop there. Links follow each quote if anyone would like to continue with further reading.
    “Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.” - Plato

Now, if you will excuse me, I must go pray for wisdom from the Meguiar`s gods.
    Likes Stokdgs, 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Some have argued that the actions of Roosevelt actually prolonged the depression.

The Federal Government does exactly TWO things very well

1. National Defense

2. Screw up everything else
    https://m.facebook.com/detailedbykyle?_rdr
    Likes davidc liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The post was not about FDR. The post was in response to the people I have seen posting that the minimum wage was not supposed to set a living wage. It was.

Whether you think it should be still or not, thats irrelevant. Whether you think it should be gone, $7.50, $10.10, or $15.00 is not addressed. I merely stated that it was supposed to be for people to earn a decent living.
    “Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.” - Plato

Likes Poorboy, Stokdgs, 4u2nvinmtl liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RDKC View Post
    I really shouldnt post, and I say it every time I do.

However, I would just like to point out a few things...
    Heh heh, I cant *count* how many times I tell myself to "just step away from the keyboard!", and these days I generally do. Eh, bring up enough topics and Ill vehemently disagree with *everybody* sooner or later.
    Likes Poorboy, Ronkh, 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Heh heh, I cant *count* how many times I tell myself to "just step away from the keyboard!", and these days I generally do. Eh, bring up enough topics and Ill vehemently disagree with *everybody* sooner or later.
    I normally am pretty good about stepping away. I should just stop reading threads that I know will tempt me but that obviously hasnt happened.

I kept it clean though. As long as I resist the urge to actively partake Ill be okay, a little info here and there shouldnt be too ​bad.

Likes Poorboy, Stokdgs, Ronkh, 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I normally am pretty good about stepping away. I should just stop reading threads that I know will tempt me but that obviously hasnt happened.

I kept it clean though. As long as I resist the urge to actively partake Ill be okay, a little info here and there shouldnt be too ​bad.
    me too .. but the traffic around here has been so bad that im taking my road rage to the keyboard
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com
    Likes RDKC, Stokdgs, Ronkh, 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    me too .. but the traffic around here has been so bad that im taking my road rage to the keyboard
    Better the keyboard than someones head, right?

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, some of these topics are simply fraught with irreconcilable differences, best I hope for is agreeing to disagree.
    Likes Stokdgs, 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Better the keyboard than someones head, right?
    actually better than a scratch or dent
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Dan I think you found the missing link here without even mentioning it ...

Our Education system has failed !!! We learn more or less the same as we did 50 years ago .. the subjects have added a few technology classes, but the rest of the world is teaching high tech not trigonometry ... Government small and large , states and local, do not have the support of funds to really prepare kids for the real world .. the few and far between that actually generate what you said, are out numbered probably 10:1 (just guessing) .. reading today is mostly on twitter and the goal oriented kids are not always given the resources to achieve, so employers look to overseas .. (my wife was a recruiter for fortune 100 companies to find computer programmers) most come from India and Asia ... look around at a hospital and see who your care takers are ... who answers a technical question when you call a 800 number in the middle of the night. Funny how many foreigners still come to the US for higher learning, especially technical professions, yet we have a hard time getting American kids to this level .. I dont believe our kids are stupid, but are they learning the right stuff?
    Can we afford as a nation to have a large percent of our under 30 population living with their parents ? and what happens when the parents age out (nice way to say pass away) and their funds go with them? Will we have a large percent of our population not capable of earning a living?
    When will we also lower the age of education, as it simply is not made for everyone and the high schoolers who are not interested are usually a disruption, and bring in an apprenticeship tax break for businesses who are willing to hire and train, but could never afford a minimum wage to do so?
    As it was said earlier in this thread, some one has to dig the ditches and as I tell my kids, some one has to work at the grocery store ...
    Just some food for thought
    I agree with you 100%. In fact, I read many studys that say the current generation(s) are not as educated as their pairents, and Im no exception. My Mother has her PhD were as I was deinied enrollment to University because I was "too young" (I graduated high school two years early with top marks in Canada thanks to the fantastic education I received at a rich public high school back in Arizona).

Long story short I moved out on my own at 16 and started my own business (computer repair, and home office networking). In the end, the language laws & taxes combined with my lack of business knowledge forced me to sell my successful business 10 years later. I used my experance to get an IT Project Managment job (lied my way in the door). Now Im excatly where I didnt want to be, working for the man 9 to 5 and paying 52% tax just to not own my own biussness.

To make matters even more challenging theres a constant influx of skilled immigrants coming from Europe and Asia to Canada. Most of my colleagues at work, for example, are the same age/generation as me (30s) yet hold multiple PhDs because the education was free or cheap where they came from so its nearly impossible to compete (oh and they write, read, and speak; French, English and Spanish like they were born into it, Im trilingual and they put me to shame in my own mother tongues).

We clearly need to prepare the next generation better than mine in order to compete in todays job market and obtain success...

I know this is a very narrow personal perspective but I felt it was worth sharing my personal life experience on this subject.
    Likes Ronkh, Poorboy, nickclark08, Stokdgs, davidc liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Heh heh, some of these topics are simply fraught with irreconcilable differences, best I hope for is agreeing to disagree.
    Well said and very diplomatic. Apparently I have more to learn than just detailing...

Post Thanks / Like

No, Al they do love us and in some ways jealous of our lower tax system ... they are a small country with high standards when it comes to especially education.
    They are democracies like us so if that is what they want then fine. We are supposedly jealous of a lot of other countries with lower taxes but in worse economic shape does that we love them.

Education in this country is primarily and state responsibility and they are failing. The federal government gets involved and makes some better and possible some things worse. These discussion usually get into blame and less on real solutions. Ideas like less government, let the free market decide, etc. will not work in a rigged capitalistic system.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

They are democracies like us so if that is what they want then fine. We are supposedly jealous of a lot of other countries with lower taxes but in worse economic shape does that we love them.

Education in this country is primarily and state responsibility and they are failing. The federal government gets involved and makes some better and possible some things worse. These discussion usually get into blame and less on real solutions. Ideas like less government, let the free market decide, etc. will not work in a rigged capitalistic system.
    Not sure I would call places like this a democracy. Dont they have a queen? If you recall, we fought a war like 200 and some years ago to get away from Kings/Queens and unfair taxes. Our system may be broke - but this isnt the answer for America.

Now, it sort of bothers me people here would even consider these high tax nanny economies as even a viable alternative.

Did our soldiers die for noting?
    Likes davidc, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Jealous of other countries ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Get real !!! Maybe their tax rates, but other than that Pffft !

Education is primarily the states responsibility ??? It was, till the fed started kickin in funds.

Fed $$$$ equals Fed CONTROL !!!
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread Information