Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: No-Bama Care ?????

Some of you that have read my posts know I lived in Honduras for 10 years, the Thirdworldest of the Thirdworld countries. A trip to the emergency room was $5. I did not need to get a prescription to get medication, I went to the drugstore and told the person behind the counter what I needed, and if I didnt know I could go to a Cuban trained doctor and be seen for $10. The drugs sold are the same ones sold in the US, but at much, much lower prices. My wife had a baby with complications and had to stay in the hospital for 7 days, that cost me $500 total. I had my appendix removed and stayed 5 days for $400. If I would have been without money they have a free hospital where the same doctors that work in the paid hospital work for free (you have to pay for your medication). The doctors there do not pay for medical school. The ones I talked to were not in medicine for the money (some drove cabs to make ends meet) they wanted to help people. They could have made big bucks here in the US, but they chose to stay. They did not have the latest in diagnostic machinery, but they would listen and talk to you like a human being. I had the best medical care there. But I also had a little money, minimum wage there was about 50 cents an hour. So even at those prices many people could not afford medical care. Now I have to deal with the Veterans Administration, which from what I hear, is similar to what the Canadians have and the VA system is and has been broken. Obamacare may not be the best option but at least it is something. You have to start somewhere. I dont have the answers, but I waited for the Republicans to toss something out opposed to Obamacare and I saw nothing. The provision for preexisting conditions was a step in the right direction. Everyone needs affordable health insurance whether they want it or not. Kind of like immunizations for contagious diseases. Sometimes governments need to step in and take over, but we have to have people with integrity in charge. In a round about way what I was trying to say if you have money and you can pay for your own healthcare you dont need the government, but if you are poor you better hope the government helps you or you are dead. I got good healthcare in a Thirdworld country because I could afford it, but there even the poor have something to fall back on. Now lemme get off of this soap box.
    Likes Ronkh liked this post
    Thanks pwaug thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

We had complications with our daughter and it would have cost us over 70 grand if it wasnt for insurance

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    ....or any type of managed care (private or federal), actual costs for treatment will continue to rise and the quality of care will continue to drop. Insurance companies and lawyers will find more ways to suck the healthcare system dry.
    You just described capitalism...

When companies want to get into a business they want to rig the system for them to maximize profits.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    You just described capitalism...

When companies want to get into a business they want to rig the system for them to maximize profits.
    That "rigged" system also pays for R&D, JOBS, food on the table and retirement for investors.......

So we should get rid of the "rigged system" As Bernie says FREE EVERYTHING FOR EVERYBODY !
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I think one thing we can all agree on is this: The Affordable Heath Care Act is NOT social heath-care. If it was, the federal government would own and run the hospitals, drug companies and pharmacies, and heath offices as well as employ all the personnel needed to man (excuse me, "person", being politically correct) those required positions. There would be no middleman insurance that would pay for this system.

We already HAVE a federal social heath-care system: the Veterans Administration. As ANY veteran who has dealt with the VA if it is a good system. Read the newspaper accounts about the investigation into this managed cared and its failure to properly care for our veterans or the red tape and paperwork that is required to get the proper care or the wait times that they endure for this care. Its the axiom of, "If it is bad car detailing, but its FREE, its still bad detailing" to put in Autopian-speak.

Is bad heath-care better than NO heath-care? Thats a good question. Why does social heath-care "work" in some European countries? (Hint: its why gasoline is $6.00 to $8.00 a gallon over there!) Im waiting for the day when the federal government starts to seize the assets of hospitals, drug companies, and heath-care offices under the laws "hidden" in the Affordable Heath Care Act. Like Nancy Pelosi said, "We dont know the full scope of the legislation until we pass it."
    GB detailer
    Likes Ronkh, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    I think one thing we can all agree on is this: The Affordable Heath Care Act is NOT social heath-care. If it was, the federal government would own and run the hospitals, drug companies and pharmacies, and heath offices as well as employ all the personnel needed to man (excuse me, "person", being politically correct) those required positions. There would be no middleman insurance that would pay for this system.

We already HAVE a federal social heath-care system: the Veterans Administration. As ANY veteran who has dealt with the VA if it is a good system. Read the newspaper accounts about the investigation into this managed cared and its failure to properly care for our veterans or the red tape and paperwork that is required to get the proper care or the wait times that they endure for this care. Its the axiom of, "If it is bad car detailing, but its FREE, its still bad detailing" to put in Autopian-speak.

Is bad heath-care better than NO heath-care? Thats a good question. Why does social heath-care "work" in some European countries? (Hint: its why gasoline is $6.00 to $8.00 a gallon over there!) Im waiting for the day when the federal government starts to seize the assets of hospitals, drug companies, and heath-care offices under the laws "hidden" in the Affordable Heath Care Act. Like Nancy Pelosi said, "We dont know the full scope of the legislation until we pass it."
    Thank you Lonnie. The VA is the perfect example of what happens when government runs healthcare.

(btw AL, you asked where the death panels were???......)
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    . .... In a round about way what I was trying to say if you have money and you can pay for your own healthcare you dont need the government, but if you are poor you better hope the government helps you or you are dead. I got good healthcare in a Thirdworld country because I could afford it, but there even the poor have something to fall back on. Now lemme get off of this soap box.
    Youve hit the economics of this "affordable" heath-care issue on the head. Ive ALWAYS contended that this is what heath-care in America would become when 1960s President Lyndon Johnson enacted "The Great Society" legislation and "re-appropriated"(usurped) the funds from Social Security for the welfare system weve come to know and depend on. Is heath care a right we all pay for or a privilege we buy? OR should those who do not choose to take care of themselves be allowed to reap the consequences of their actions? Now that insurance is required by law for EVERY citizen, can heath providers now legally deny heath service for those who are not legal citizens with no insurance? Who decides when enough financial resources are spent on a person for a heath issue or at what age they would "benefit" society? Moral issues to be sure.

The above quote gives insight to the term I call Economic Euthanasia. It simply means this: if you can afford to buy medical services and medication to contribute to or prolong your life, you live; if you cannot afford the same, you die. I hate to say that heath-care is a money/economics issue, but the term "Affordable Heath Care Act" has already self-defined that.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    "Affordable Heath Care Act" has already self-defined that.
    Its noble in theory, but unmaintainable in real life.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    I had read an article that the American Indians suffer the highest percentage and it was attributed to their diet changing so fast - almost no sugar to high sugar -- food, alcohol, etc.//
    Agree completely that many health problems (including the explosion of TypeII Diabetes) are a matter of lifestyle and that meds that allow people to do OK (well, if you call that OK...) while continuing unhealthy behaviors are not a real solution.

Eh, theyre still recommending a diet based on high-carbs

What if you paid insurance rates based upon BMI?
    BMI is BS. Even with a bodyfat% well down in the single-digits Im often ranked as "slightly overweight" or even worse; it doesnt take muscle or bone into account. Far too dumbed-down to be meaningful.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We can probably all agree that the system is broken, but insurance companies have not and will not want to fix it because of the bottom line ...money

The root of the problem actually stems from other insurance companies and the lawyers that exploited this.

First problem is that Doctors are human and make mistakes ... lawyers came along and said sue the doctors, the hospitals and anyone you can think of.

Many years ago the doctor would say he was sorry and there was nothing more he could do and people said ok or never went back to that doctor.

Then lawyers sued for millions and doctors had no choice but to pay insurance companies outrageous amounts just to remain a doctor.

Some states passed limitation laws but it is still not enough and everyone cant pick up and go to those states.

One of my doctors told me malpractice has become so unaffordable that many people who spent years going to school to become doctors, now only to work in labs, like his son.

My main doctors have sold their practices to "health care companies" that have nothing to do with medicine other than collecting money.

Again the system is broken because of greed .

Answers? Affordable Care Act .. maybe or maybe not .. do our paid representatives, (who get great healthcare for life ).. try and fix it or give us a path to a better system, NO ! They are all talk and no action and are not held accountable for their lack of action.

Can we be like Canada or European countries, probably not as those countries (individually) are not as diverse as we are geographically and financially.
    Some states that have huge cities have had more people on get insurance, but the rural states have seen tremendous jumps in health care costs with hardly any increase in enrollment .. system is broken ...

During the debates only good idea that has been mentioned is making insurance companies compete across state lines, rather than within a state they choose.
    This is not only for health, but when I moved my business from NY to Florida, my insurance company dropped me because they dont want to insure Florida businesses... this again is where the Gov should step in and tell the big insurance companies either you insure all or you cant insure any. Sometimes you have to take the good with the bad.

Bottom line is that we need our elected officials to work for us and find solutions rather than pointing out the elephant in the room, collecting their paychecks and life long health coverage and flying home on weekends and writing it off as a work expense.
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

As far as the aca (ocare) being done by "our" representatives....????? um no. First off as far as I recall, not one said they read the whole thing before voting for it. Second, not one republican was even allowed in the room when discussing it. They didnt need nor want differing view points.... Remember Pelosi bragging about their super majority (which imho NO party should have.) Third Mr. Im an economics professor laughing about how they would have to lie to the public to get it passed???? Fourth The President of the United States LYING to the public about lower rates (the average family would save $2500/year, lower co-pays, and keep your Dr. All BS ! Or no, its not a tax, Oh but your Honor, it is a tax..........

The only thing ocare did was prove how gullible they are, and how they think government will take care of them.

As far as a Canadian type system, well go make an appointment for a hip transplant...... you may get one in 2018.
    Likes tropicsteve liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    As far as the aca (ocare) being done by "our" representatives....????? um no. First off as far as I recall, not one said they read the whole thing before voting for it. Second, not one republican was even allowed in the room when discussing it. They didnt need nor want differing view points.... Remember Pelosi bragging about their super majority (which imho NO party should have.) Third Mr. Im an economics professor laughing about how they would have to lie to the public to get it passed???? Fourth The President of the United States LYING to the public about lower rates (the average family would save $2500/year, lower co-pays, and keep your Dr. All BS ! Or no, its not a tax, Oh but your Honor, it is a tax..........

The only thing ocare did was prove how gullible they are, and how they think government will take care of them.

As far as a Canadian type system, well go make an appointment for a hip transplant...... you may get one in 2018.
    Again .. pointing out the elephant in the room ... We need answers and ideas by anyone to move forward..other than Bernie (sorry not feeling the Bern)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    Again .. pointing out the elephant in the room ... We need answers and ideas by anyone to move forward..other than Bernie (sorry not feeling the Bern)
    Well considering the "elephant in the room" is responsible for more that 1/6th of our economy just in $$$$. Do you really want to wait and see what happens to companies and our economy when the complete employer mandate kicks in ?

The new norm is a 32 hour work week, whats going to happen when it gets lowered, same as a "tax on the wealthy", well it will trickle down faster than Niagara Falls......

I do find it humorous that Hillary is running around saying that before it was Obama care it was Hillary care. Probably the only time she decided NOT to lie to the American public.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Well considering the "elephant in the room" is responsible for more that 1/6th of our economy just in $$$$. Do you really want to wait and see what happens to companies and our economy when the complete employer mandate kicks in ?

The new norm is a 32 hour work week, whats going to happen when it gets lowered, same as a "tax on the wealthy", well it will trickle down faster than Niagara Falls......

I do find it humorous that Hillary is running around saying that before it was Obama care it was Hillary care. Probably the only time she decided NOT to lie to the American public.
    Yes, but whats the plan to fix it? If your Vette stopped running .. you would tell the dealer to fix it, not tell you about other cars that had problems that couldnt be helped and how much Chevy spent designing and your car.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread Information