Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ready for the range

Yep, I came across the PDF when I started researching MGJ after you mentioned it. The 7000 fps velocity for the rifle bullet is pretty crazy.

What I can`t figure out is how the solid particles in MGJ actually bond together and form a protective layer. The way I read the article, Williams started with Teflon and combined it with other, secret ingredients. Teflon itself won`t survive in the environment that MGJ is used, yet applying MGJ doesn`t require the high temperatures that are needed for Teflon to bond to a substrate. MGJ bonds at lower temperatures than Teflon, yet survives higher temperatures than Teflon. Sounds like magic.

Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by `PRND[S
    ;2102850`]Yep, I came across the PDF when I started researching MGJ after you mentioned it. The 7000 fps velocity for the rifle bullet is pretty crazy....

...Sounds like magic.

That`s why I made mention of this earlier. It`s hard to recommend it simply because it sounds too good to be true. Snake oil mindset. People think I`m nuts.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by House of Wax View Post
    yeah, I prefer the extra mag capacity and less recoil/better control vs stopping power, especially in a small cc gun. Different strokes and all that. Plus the Sig I already have is 9mm, so it just makes that much more sense to me to only have to keep 1 caliber in stock
    Yeah, I simply shoot medium calibers better these days, and sure enjoy it a whole lot more. Sigh...I was *all* about the .45 for decades.

My wife *never* minded its recoil/muzzleblast as much as me, sorta surprising but that`s how people can differ.

Post Thanks / Like

The Microlon Gun Juice (MGJ) arrived last week, and yesterday I went through the process of applying it to my Glock 30 SF. In the process, I learned two things:

1. Dry steam from a VX5000 is really good at removing lubricants and gun powder residue, and gets into small spaces inside trigger mechanisms etc. Highly recommended

2. Dry steam from a VX5000 is also really good at removing the black finish from the slide of a brand-new Glock. Not recommended.

The main application for MGJ is on contact surfaces and mechanical bits, but I also wanted to add some protection against holster wear, so that`s why I steam-cleaned the slide as well. I could have avoided taking the finish off by not getting the nozzle practically into contact with the slide, or by cleaning it with a traditional product such as Gun Scrubber. Without the black finish, the entire slide is a dark gunmetal gray and it still has the Tenifer protection, so the damage I did was purely cosmetic. The gun simply looks older than it is.

Cleaning the polymer frame and internals doesn`t carry any risk since the steam temperature is below what the polymer tolerates. It was a quick, easy way of thoroughly removing all lubricants and powder residue. When I applied the MGJ, I didn`t notice any contamination on the cotton patches I used for the application and polishing.

I`m taking the Glock to the range tonight to see how it runs while completely dry.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone here familiar with bull pup rifles? Used one? Like them, hate them?

I stumbled onto this when reading the latest NRA magazine:

https://deserttech.com/product_overv...oduct_overview

A bullpup, CQB oriented rifle available in .308.

Ive been interested in a SBR 308 for a future build/purchase. The more I look, the more problematic it appears to be. 308 AR`s are tricky with getting pieces to match and fit- it would likely require me to have someone build it for me. From what I can tell, nobody sells a an SBR 308, so to get something off the rack I`d have to have somebody chop the barrel down. Pricy and inconvenient. SCAR`s look quite sweet, and they off a CQB barrel for the 17, but $2700 for the rifle then another $1300 for the additional barrel- from what I`ve read, they don`t seem to sell this configuration as is- is just too much. Add the ATF stamp to all of these, and they`re all pricy and a PITA.

In walks this MDR from Desert Tech, and it`s very intriguing. Basically, I want a CQB rifle for home defense. Why? Because I don`t really like pistols that much and shotguns are messy.

Ive seen the IWI Tavor, looks cool but only available in a 5.56. Really stuck on a 308 for this.

Open to any feedback anyone can offer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    Alone here familiar with bull pup rifles? Used one? Like them, hate them?

I stumbled onto this when reading the latest NRA magazine:

https://deserttech.com/product_overv...oduct_overview

A bullpup, CQB oriented rifle available in .308.

Ive been interested in a SBR 308 for a future build/purchase. The more I look, the more problematic it appears to be. 308 AR`s are tricky with getting pieces to match and fit- it would likely require me to have someone build it for me. From what I can tell, nobody sells a an SBR 308, so to get something off the rack I`d have to have somebody chop the barrel down. Pricy and inconvenient. SCAR`s look quite sweet, and they off a CQB barrel for the 17, but $2700 for the rifle then another $1300 for the additional barrel- from what I`ve read, they don`t seem to sell this configuration as is- is just too much. Add the ATF stamp to all of these, and they`re all pricy and a PITA.

In walks this MDR from Desert Tech, and it`s very intriguing. Basically, I want a CQB rifle for home defense. Why? Because I don`t really like pistols that much and shotguns are messy.

Ive seen the IWI Tavor, looks cool but only available in a 5.56. Really stuck on a 308 for this.

Open to any feedback anyone can offer.
    I shot a SCAR 17 with ACOG and it shoots so soft compared to my Tikka bolt .308. The SCAR Literally makes the 7.62 feel like 1/2 the recoil of the .308 Tikka. Shoot the SCAR and then tell yourself you don`t want one. I want one but the prices are in a league of their own. Makes ARs prices seem like HiPoint price wise.

No experience with shooting bullpup rifles. Definitely a product of form follows function. But gives you all the advantages of a SBR and none of the disadvantages. The bullpup design makes so much more sense for military, LE, and in your case home defense. Love the compactness with a 16 in barrel. The design of a bullpup would grow on me too.

Post Thanks / Like

.308 is overkill for CQB, a .223 is more than adequate, is more controllable, and typically has a greater ammo capacity. The additional penetrating power of the .308 is likely to be more of a liability than an asset.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by `PRND[S
    ;2104112`].308 is overkill for CQB... The additional penetrating power of the .308 is likely to be more of a liability than an asset.
    Heh heh, I was just wondering what people here are using the .308 for, figured it was mostly just fun at the range. Home defense with a .308? No thanks, except in some pretty extradordinary circumstances (more extraordinary than, say....a home invasion in a pretty rural suburb).

Post Thanks / Like

Woohoo! Finally here! Gotta get to the range now soon to get it broke in

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    www.facebook.com/houseofwaxdetailing
    Likes nickclark08, jrock645, GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Let us know how it shoots.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes House of Wax liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Will do. Just found out a guy in my neighborhood that I`m detailing a truck for in a couple weeks is a member at a private outdoor pistol/rifle club and offered to take me!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely on my like to own list.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes House of Wax liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine has one of those, and I was really impressed with it. Very well made and designed, and shoots well, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Is that a 9 or a 40?

Post Thanks / Like

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread Information