Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ready for the range

My lady friend just picked up a Sig Sauer C3 for a deal yesterday and we got a chance to shoot it some. Shoots pretty nicely for a compact 1911. It was good to get to do some shooting after reading some in this thread had me ready to do so.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    ..I put the drunk part on purpose to make it clear it wasn`t a rational, well adjusted person to begin with. That part is key in all of this.
    IMO, it`s....sigh..only key to people who think the way we do

Post Thanks / Like

BSkip333- Ah, glad to hear the 25LPI checkering and "little .45" don`t add up to "not fun to shoot" for either of you.

Post Thanks / Like

She had me shoot it first of course but she loves her Browning Hi-Power and the recoil isn`t any more noticeable than the 9mm.

Post Thanks / Like

I see an AR15 in my future. Gonna be expensive...

Post Thanks / Like

Jrock, a solid AR foundation doesn`t need to be expensive these days. You can get a decent firearm from several companies without breaking the bank. You can always opt to assemble one yourself using better components and still keep costs down. The great thing about this platform is there are so many ways to upgrade, you can start with an entry level rifle and add your dreams and wishes as you go and still have something to take to the range from day one.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Heh- I bet he means the Ar15 addiction in general will be expensive.

If not, you can get a very nice off the shelf Ruger or S&W for $700.
    This is what I`m recommending to almost everyone these days- especially for a first AR.
    I think the days of a decent AR costing $1000 just to get in the door are over.
    Likes GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve had an S&W Sport in my shopping cart I don`t know how many times haha. Some day.....soon
    www.facebook.com/houseofwaxdetailing
    Likes craigdt liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- If you`re buying the long gun for, uhm....social purposes...I`d just get an AK. When people talk about "a defensive rifle" I`d generally choose that anyhow, just a personal preference I guess. But when folks say they "need the AR instead because it`s more accurate", I simply gotta laugh unless they`re competing/hunting with it. Now if somebody simply prefers the AR, well...OK then

Quote Originally Posted by BSkip333 View Post
    She had me shoot it first of course but she loves her Browning Hi-Power and the recoil isn`t any more noticeable than the 9mm.
    Huh, that`s a great example of how "different people are different"!! I find the H-P to be one of the easiest shooting handguns ever with regard to recoil, *NEVER* fired a little 1911 (in any caliber) that compared at all!

Eh, FWIW, my wife is basically impervious to the recoil of a .45 too, doesn`t bother her as much as it does me (a somewhat recent development as I get older).
    Likes House of Wax liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    jrock645- If you`re buying the long gun for, uhm....social purposes...I`d just get an AK. When people talk about "a defensive rifle" I`d generally choose that anyhow, just a personal preference I guess. But when folks say they "need the AR instead because it`s more accurate", I simply gotta laugh unless they`re competing/hunting with it. Now if somebody simply prefers the AR, well...OK then

Huh, that`s a great example of how "different people are different"!! I find the H-P to be one of the easiest shooting handguns ever with regard to recoil, *NEVER* fired a little 1911 (in any caliber) that compared at all!

Eh, FWIW, my wife is basically impervious to the recoil of a .45 too, doesn`t bother her as much as it does me (a somewhat recent development as I get older).

The idea of being able to compete appeals to me. I`m a long ways from that, but I`d really enjoy being able to get to that point.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    The idea of being able to compete appeals to me. I`m a long ways from that, but I`d really enjoy being able to get to that point.
    You really can`t go wrong with the AR-15 platform. So many ways to customize it.

There are many different levels on competition. If that really does interest you look around your area. You most likely have a few clubs or events around that you don`t know about. Go watch a few and see what style competition you like. In my experience the firearm community (if you will) is very similar to the detailing, motorcycle, off-road, etc. communities. It`s fun to compete and it`s fun to win, but you`re sharing an interest most people don`t share. A lot of people that I`ve met are more than willing to shoot the breeze with you or even help you with your form, share drills with you, etc. I`ve received and given plenty of tips from people just at the range and never once have I had a truly bad experience at a range. (Well. I have, but it was a bad experience because of management, not fellow shooters.)

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    “Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.” - Plato

Now, if you will excuse me, I must go pray for wisdom from the Meguiar`s gods.
    Likes House of Wax liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The amount of options with the AR15 and the "can`t go wrong" factor is my draw to it. Years down the road, I may build up a collection but at least for a while I really just want one good target shooting rifle.

Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough, for now I`ll stow my affinity for the AK For the one-way range the AR is sweet if you like the basic design.

Just make sure you get an AR that *RUNS*. Even really pricey ones can be finicky and, dare I say (yeah, yeah..flamesuit on! ) high-maintenance. So along those lines, be careful about those "options".
    Likes jrock645 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The gas system on a non-piston style AR introduces a lot of garbage into the bolt carrier, bolt carrier group, hammer and trigger, basically everything inside the receivers. These are dirty guns and dirt is the primary reason one would act finicky. This fact is enhanced becasue the tolerances are tighter on one of these firearms than a gun like an AK or SKS (typical high cap rifles you`ll find at the range). You can bury an AK in sand pull it out and go shoot it, chances are it won`t miss a beat. An AR might balk but not necessarily. The tighter tolerances of the AR along with factory production standards are the things that make an AR the more accurate gun than many when it comes to a semi-auto black rifles. I have a bunch of FNC`s FAL`s, AK`s and SKS`s they won`t shoot with an AR.

This all said, if you`re willing to do a reasonable amount of maintenance it isn`t difficult to get an AR to run like a swiss watch. Most can easily shoot 1"-2" groups at 150 yards given a reasonably good shooter with the eyes to go along with it. My experience has shown time and again an AK won`t shoot the kind of groups an AR will. AR`s are just about as simple to break down and field strip as any out there, the entire break down isn`t much more difficult. Run a bore snake through it after a hundred rounds and clean the bolt carrier group and it will be ready to rock and roll for a long time. Now if this talk of dirt in the receiver bothers you and you still want an AR, you might consider a piston driven AR, I have one it is very clean and gives up only a little when it comes to overall accuracy. There are more parts to maintain however.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes cardaddy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have no issue cleaning a gun after every trip to the range. Doesnt bother me at all.

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread Information