Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Watch your back!

Hey, I am 56 and suffered lower back pain for 14 years. It started when I ruptured a disc while using a large chainsaw. If you want to know how that feels, try jumping on a bicycle without the seat, that would be a close second. Now, you get to experience the total freak out and go to the doctor just knowing you are going straight into surgery. Hold on, most of the time you can get well with anti-inflammatory drugs and rest. I know, I went through this 7-8 times over the years. But, this year I was having chronic pain, eating Advil daily and trying to keep doing all I had been doing. That stopped mid July when I had incredible pain down my right leg. The family doc tried the usual treatment, a week later I ruptured a disc and he gave me a shot and an appointment with a Neurosurgeon. The MRI showed a problem at L3, I was having trouble walking and my leg was weakening. I went to the hospital, he operated and found same issue at L4-5 and some bone spurs and a cyst. He told my wife ( who really stuck with me) that the operation should have been a hour and 15 min, turned into 2 hours and 45 min, he said my back was a mess. I spent the night in the hospital and went home the next day. It`ll be 3 weeks tomorrow, I am feeling pain free, walking more, looking forward to the follow up visit and physical therapy.
    So, take care of yourself, but, if you`re in the pre-surgery phase, be real careful! Ok, I just want to add that those laser adds on TV, don`t go there, my surgeon is one of the best, 30 years experience and I would trust him with my life, and he says don`t get pulled into the laser marketing. Yeah, I got a scar, so what, he operated in a tiny place, you think it would be easier through a keyhole? Plus, he found the issues at the L4-5.
    All I have in this world is my word, and my balls and I don`t break `em for no one, you understand?"
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Watch your back!

Hopes for a speedy recovery
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes Junebug liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear you`re doing well.
    Likes Junebug liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I clicked thinking I`d be reading some new crime or conspiracy theory post.

Glad to hear your recovery is going well, won`t surprise me if I`m there one day.
    “Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.” - Plato

Now, if you will excuse me, I must go pray for wisdom from the Meguiar`s gods.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Mi Amigo !

Sorry to hear this happened to you..
    I am so happy to hear that you are in the recovery phase and hope with much prayer that you will get all healed up soon...

For all the crap I have done to my back including chainsaws with 6` bars, cutting, splitting, and stacking wood for years, I am so blessed that it has not given it up yet...

Take care, old friend !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Did it require a fusion?
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    Did it require a fusion?
    If it did, AG has a sale on it right now
    50.00/tub, full size

Sorry, couldn`t resist
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes trashmanssd, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    If it did, AG has a sale on it right now
    50.00/tub, full size

Sorry, couldn`t resist
    Saw that coming but thought the punchline woud be Ford.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Ronkh, Junebug liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

All the best for a speedy recovery.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! No fusion, wax, car or spine. I had a microdiscectomy - Google it, I found a cool video, animation, no blood and guts that explains it.
    All I have in this world is my word, and my balls and I don`t break `em for no one, you understand?"
    Likes Ronkh, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you came through surgery with no problems. I had back fusion surgery back in March. After 10 years of physical therapy and the VA telling me it was a buldging disc I finally went to an outside ortho surgeon. He checked my back and told me the disc had degenerated and I needed surgery immediately. When he operated he found that the disc had completely disintegrated. So much for the VA and a buldging disc. Going to the VA is like taking your car to a dealer to "detail" your car, not the best idea. Hope your recovery goes well.
    Likes Junebug, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

JuneBug, I was asking about the fusion as I was just wondering where you were in the list of back procedures. I say this and don`t mean it lightly. Been through the discectomy, nerve root clearance, bone relief, cleaning out arthritis etc. These things helped but only lasted about 3 years for me and then it was on to the next surgery. Been fused L3, L4 and L5 for about 10 years now and doing OK, still has its moments. I know quite a few who have had similar results. Hope your`s continues to do well and never needs additional work. Backs are tough.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

best to a speedy recovery

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Junebug View Post
    Thanks guys! No fusion, wax, car or spine. I had a microdiscectomy - Google it, I found a cool video, animation, no blood and guts that explains it.
    Had a similar procedure (laminectomy) about 15 yrs ago. Have 100% pain relief 15 years out with no limitations or restrictions.

Get well soon.
    Likes Ronkh, Junebug liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Getting old sucks, and its usually because of what you did when you were young and dumb.
    Likes Ronkh, Junebug, Stokdgs liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information