Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Trueisms

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trueisms

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Should be required watching !!!

Thanks for posting it
    This was done in the late 60`s to early 70`s. I think one aspect of unrest today is that some want to back to 1890 economically and socially. What can be more stupid than try to shutdown the government over planned parenthood? Why not a more important issue like term limits or reform of the legislative process, etc? The next thing you know Lindsay Graham will be looking for federal disaster relief for SC after opposing Hurricane Sandy.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    This was done in the late 60`s to early 70`s. I think one aspect of unrest today is that some want to back to 1890 economically and socially. What can be more stupid than try to shutdown the government over planned parenthood? Why not a more important issue like term limits or reform of the legislative process, etc? The next thing you know Lindsay Graham will be looking for federal disaster relief for SC after opposing Hurricane Sandy.
    I look at both sides of the govt shutdown, it would a stubborn executive to shut it down over a "line item"............. So then who has the market cornered on ideology?
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I think this thread is getting to serious. I have a good one but would rather not be banned right now. I keep it to myself. While I`m on the subject, how many greens do you need to earn a GOOJFC?

Get Out Of Jail Free Card?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    I think this thread is getting to serious. I have a good one but would rather not be banned right now. I keep it to myself. While I`m on the subject, how many greens do you need to earn a GOOJFC?
    Get Out Of Jail Free Card?
    You could say maybe send it in a private message to certain people that have very thick skin and are now extremely curious to what you wanted to post.
    Likes Ronkh, JSFM35X, 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Now you know
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post
    Thanks trashmanssd thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to the new TPP deal, a retailer can now declare "All products sold in USA".

Al
    The Need to Bead

Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Turns out a non-descript office building in Richmond contains the DNA of every person born in California since 1983. It’s a treasure trove of information about you, from the color of your eyes and hair to your pre-disposition to diseases like Alzheimer’s and cancer.

DNA Data From California Newborn Blood Stored, Sold To 3rd Parties « CBS San Francisco
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Likes Ronkh, GearHead_1 liked this post
    Thanks GearHead_1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

All too common problem with anti-Obama posts...

Al
    The Need to Bead

Likes trashmanssd, Angus liked this post
    Thanks Angus thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    All too common problem with anti-Obama posts...

Too funny Al. Insert any (and I mean any) politician`s name in there and this statement would be correct.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Thanks trashmanssd thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I agree Gearhead that is a general statement but I had seen a facebook post where there was list of facts about Obamacare raising virtually raising every tax and numerous people chimed in as "it just goes to show you" without even thinking to check anything. They are brainwashed sheep.

The fact that so many think it is a muslim or not a us citizen could be a similar disqualification from voting as some conservatives say about some who live mostly on government benefits.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Likes Angus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

For thin-skinned college students, we have nobody to blame but ourselves

It would be easy to call protesting college students crybabies and brats for pitching hissy fits over hurt feelings, but this likely would lead to such torrents of tearful tribulation that the nation’s university system would have to shut down for a prolonged period of grief counseling.

Besides, it would be insensitive.

Instead, let me be the first to say: it’s not the students’ fault. These serial tantrums are direct results of our Everybody Gets a Trophy culture and an educational system that, for the most part, no longer teaches a core curriculum, including history, government and the Bill of Rights.

The students simply don’t know any better.

This isn’t necessarily to excuse them. Everyone has a choice whether to ignore a perceived slight — or to form a posse. But as with any problem, it helps to understand its source. The disease, I fear, was auto-induced with the zealous pampering of the American child that began a few decades ago.

The first sign of the epidemic of sensitivity we’re witnessing was when parents and teachers were instructed never to tell Johnny that he’s a “bad boy,” but that he’s “acting” like a bad boy.

Next, Johnny was handed a blue ribbon along with everyone else on the team even though he didn’t deserve one. This had the opposite effect of what was intended. Rather than protecting Johnny’s fragile self-esteem, the prize undermined Johnny’s faith in his own perceptions and judgment. It robbed him of his ability to pick himself up when he fell and to be brave, honest and hardy in the face of adversity.

Self-esteem is earned, not bestowed.

Today’s campuses are overrun with little Johnnys, their female counterparts and their adult enablers. How will we ever find enough fainting couches?

Lest anyone feel slighted so soon, this is also not to diminish the pain of racism (or sexism, ageism, blondism or whatever -ism gets one’s tear ducts moistened). But nothing reported on campuses the past several weeks rises to the level of the coerced resignations of a university chancellor and president.

The affronts that prompted students to demand the resignations include: a possibly off-campus, drive-by racial epithet apparently aimed at the student body president; another racial epithet , hurled by a drunk white student; a swastika drawn with feces in a dorm restroom.

Someone certainly deserves a spanking — or psychoanalysis. Sigmund Freud had plenty to say about people who play with the products of their alimentary canal.

But do such events mean that students have been neglected, as protesters have charged? Or that the school tolerates racism?

Concurrent with these episodes of outrage is the recent surge on campuses of “trigger warnings” in syllabuses to alert students to content that might be upsetting, and “safe spaces ” where students can seek refuge when ideas make them uncomfortable. It seems absurd to have to mention that the purpose of higher education is to be challenged, to be exposed to different views and, above all, to be exhilarated by the exercise of free speech — other people’s as well as one’s own.

The marketplace of ideas is not for sissies, in other words. And it would appear that knowledge, the curse of the enlightened, is not for everyone.

The latter is meant to be an observation, but on many college campuses today, it seems to be an operating principle. A recent survey of 1,100 colleges and universities found that only 18 percent require American history or government, where such foundational premises as the First Amendment might be explained and understood.

The survey, by the American Council of Trustees and Alumni, assesses schools according to whether they have at least one required course in composition, foreign language at the intermediate level, American government or history, economics, science, mathematics and literature. Coincidentally, the very institutions where students are dominating what passes for debate also scored among the worst: Missouri, D; Yale, C; Dartmouth, C; and Princeton, C — all for requiring only one or a few of the subjects. Amherst scored an F for requiring none of them.

Such is the world we’ve created for young people who soon enough will discover that the world doesn’t much care about their tender feelings. But before such harsh realities knock them off their ponies, we might hope that they redirect their anger. They have every right to despise the coddling culture that ill prepared them for life and an educational system that has failed to teach them what they need to know.

Weep for them — and us

For thin-skinned college students, we have nobody to blame but ourselves
    Likes gordonjuan, trashmanssd, Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

For thin-skinned college students, we have nobody to blame but ourselves ..Instead, let me be the first to say: it’s not the students’ fault...The students simply don’t know any better..They have every right to despise the coddling culture that ill prepared them for life..
    I won`t even be *that* charitable; IMO everybody can live consciously/mindfully enough to recongize erroneous decisions and Critical-Think their way out of fallacious reasoning. People have been realizing "hey, some of that stuff I was taught was wrong! I`m gonna figure this out.." since forever.

I tend to blame laziness and lack of self-discipline; it`s easy to *not* strive for excellence. It`s easy to find excuses if you look for `em.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I tend to blame laziness and lack of self-discipline; it`s easy to *not* strive for excellence. It`s easy to find excuses if you look for `em.
    Especially when you get rewarded for mediocrity.

Post Thanks / Like

The first sign of the epidemic of sensitivity we’re witnessing was when parents and teachers were instructed never to tell Johnny that he’s a “bad boy,” but that he’s “acting” like a bad boy...
    I doubt the victims of crime take much comfort in the supposed difference.

For those of us who believe "behavior is truth; you are what you do", that whole semantics game, which absolves the doer of any personal responsibility, is based on a false premise to begin with.

...[Easy not to strive..]..Especially when you get rewarded for mediocrity...
    This whole "everybody deserves a prize!" notion is simply lost on me, but I do see some parallels with the general notion of egalitarianism and that can start to get tricky...?All men created equal?...?All lives of equal value?...I can see some well-intentioned folks having some cognitive dissonance there.
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread Information