Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What I miss most about Christmas..(rant thread)

Hate to say it. Its just another day to me.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post
    Hate to say it. Its just another day to me.
    Referring to Christmas? Why is that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fdresq4 View Post
    Last Saturday, my wife and I spent the day in Lititz, PA. It`s a small town located in Lancaster County, PA. This town is a throw back to a time long ago. The main drive is lined with small shops that are owned by local folks. The streets are beautifully decorated with 3 foot Christmas trees along the sidewalks as is each shop. The Wilbur Chocolate Factory fills the town with the air with fresh made sweet treats. On various nights Carolers sing Christmas songs in the park and around town. What was probably the most beautiful sight was the Manger display right where Rt. 501 and 772 meet. So, my wife and I go into the Visitors Center to inquire about it. It just so happens that the local church owns that small piece of land and the scene is on private property. Apparently a new resident moved into town back in 1994 and challenged the scene. It was discovered that the property was privately owned and the Manger could indeed stay. As it was further said, "Imagine that, after all of these years just one complaint could have ended it all." Interestingly, she said the town receives the most positive compliments about the display.
    As others have said, it starts with one person, one Merry Christmas, and one person standing up and not being afraid. Many people we know are taking Christmas back with a simple reply or greeting.
    I hope that many will instill in their children that is fine to celebrate Christmas and don`t let anyone deny that right in the free country we live in. This may mean parent involvement.
    A friend of mine recently told me of his "self-induced dilemma. He had bought his kids so much stuff, including electronics, over the past few years that he priced himself out of the market. I suggested that he and his family volunteer at our local soup kitchen, nursing home/assisted living, and hospital and use it as a teaching moment. When they get home explain to them what their day showed them then take a long look at how Great they have it and not to worry about keeping up with The Jones`.
    At work each year, the Jewish Women`s Defense League brings a huge desert tray to all the fire stations. They include a card that Thanks us for working our Holiday. The ladies also verbally Thank us. One of our guys working this one time told them he was Jewish. So the lady asks, "are you the only Jewish guy in the department? " He said, "No." They asked," are the other Jewish guys working?" He said, "No." They asked, "Why not?" He said , "Because it`s Christmas." We all had a laugh.
    My wife and I celebrate December 25th as the birth of our Saviour Jesus Christ.

So with that being said, we Pray that you all have a Blessed Christmas!

Ps..I am typing this out on my wife`s tablet so pardon me for any mistakes. I`m still getting use to this thing...LOL!
    That place sounds a lot like Boerne Texas about 30 minutes from me. It`s a throwback little "main" street type town where everyone says "Hello" to everyone. Sadly it`s becoming very popular and crowded. Another place close by even a bit more rustic is Fredericksburg Texas, another wonderful lil town.

I will have to keep that place you went to on my "To Go" list! Sounds like a wonderful place this time of year. Thank You for the great post.

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"
    Thanks fdresq4 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Thank you, Anthony for your thoughts..

If you grew up in Texas, then you and yours would truly know how wonderful this time of the year is and has always been..

My time there before a couple wars interrupted it, was doing all the things you mentioned, even earlier than you did.. And it was wonderful !!!

The Schools taught awesome lessons on why we were so grateful for life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness..

Christian principles were freely used, school prayer, Christmas carols, and everyone regardless of their religious beliefs was fine...

This Nation we were taught was founded on freedom to worship as one pleased; I cant ever remember anyone being upset or angry about what we learned and sang..

The American Flag was revered and we were taught how important it was, how many hundreds of thousands of lives and blood was spilled so that out Flag could fly proudly..

It was simpler then, not so critical, not so wanting to dissect to the last nut and bolt, not having to Prove everything as it is today..

And despite not having all these wonderful things we have at our disposal today to instantly know much more about every last Detail of everything, we all turned out pretty darn good, didnt we ?

While our Parents and Ancestors had little in worldly things, they had in abundance something that has been slowly but surely leaving this earth at perhaps a more alarming rate than anything I can think of..

And that most rare, most precious, most needful, most holy need today is more Gratitude, which is closely knit to Charity, the Pure Love of Christ... ( I know, go ahead and sue me if you must)

There is no way around it, no substitute for it, no scientific explanation, we either strive to have it, try to live it, and most of all, give it freely to others, as it was given to and given by our Dear Mothers, Fathers, Ancestors, etc., or we can choose to do nothing...

I know for a fact, that people who are truly in need are usually the most humble, hardest working, faithful, honorable, and truly loving people... These are our Ancestors you spoke of, Anthony, and I for one will be eternally Grateful for all that they did to help me - to help us - stand on their Shoulders and rise up higher than they were able to do... We did not get to where we are today without their incredible Strength, Honesty, Faith, Love, etc..

How can one really think about this and not feel their heart swell up and tears of gratitude flow freely...

Lets all try to bring those beautiful, wonderful, Traditions back !!!!! We can all do this !!! People might remember... Might want to know why we are so happy... might want to be as One - even if its only for a couple of days...

If all manner of different ideas and ideals are working so hard to Remove these wonderful memories we all have, why are we not working harder to keep them in full view as they once were and should always be...

Merry Christmas ! Thanks again for your wonderful thoughts !! I will come find you next time I am in San Antonio !!
    Dan F
    Please do, stop by the shop.

Anthony

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony O. View Post
    That place sounds a lot like Boerne Texas about 30 minutes from me. It`s a throwback little "main" street type town where everyone says "Hello" to everyone. Sadly it`s becoming very popular and crowded. Another place close by even a bit more rustic is Fredericksburg Texas, another wonderful lil town.

I will have to keep that place you went to on my "To Go" list! Sounds like a wonderful place this time of year. Thank You for the great post.

Anthony
    Thank you sir! Lancaster County is nice in general. If you ever get up that way, check out Sight and Sound Theater. Some terrific Biblical portrayals. Plus, any area that has Whoopie and Shoo Fly pies are o.k. in my book...LOL.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

mmmmmmmmmmmm

shoo fly pie
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    Traditional? We usually just have something similar to Thanksgiving - Turkey, stuffing, biscuits, cornbread, desserts, several veggies, tea.
    Would that be Sweet Tea? Being from Jersey, that stuff is liquid gold.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    Ha. They were saying that back in the 70`s. This was when Lawrence Welk, Andy Williams, etc. were regulars on television -- when you usually just had 3 over the air channels (ABC/NBC/CBS). You have to blame a lot the kids on the parents - not the schools and the government (or a particular president). My generation was supposedly the no load generation but it started before my generation.
    Andy Williams, Perry Como, Bing Crosby, and Jimmy Stewart in "It`s a Wonderful Life"...boy some great memories.

Steve
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Junebug View Post
    I was born in 1959, and while a lot you said is true, you have to remember, you saw it as a kid like me. I guess I was just bored but I would listen to my parents xxxxx about their families and who was cheap, who was screwing around with who and who was flunking out of what college. I guess my old man (he was born in 1909) and having lived through the Spanish Flu, the Great Depression and being a marine in WWII, he was entitled to speak his mind. I think he never realized I was getting all that and grew up with some issues that took its toll on me later on. So, my memories are good up to about nine years old and then after I turned sixteen when for all intents and purposes, I was never home.
    The years went by and I found a great wife, had two wonderful kids and remembered what not to do raising them. The oldest is a Junior at college, her lowest grade was 1 B she got in biology, other than that it`s straight A`s and she`s in an early Masters program. The youngest is quiet but surprises me on a regular basis, she`s in high school and took farm mechanics to see what it was about, learned how to Mig weld! But she wants to be a dental hygienist not a welder.
    Guys, you can change a generation. I did, it took me some time and I admit, I went through a few years of drinking and drugs before I got fed up with being sick, tired and broke and decided I needed to be a man, grow up and take care of business. I did it by dropping bad habits, bad friends and hitting the gym -3-5 days a week.
    Change happens for those that put in the effort. Yeah Anthony, I feel your pain, and yeah times are different, but today isn`t all bad, and yesterday wasn`t all that, find your slice of happiness and let the rest slide.
    Junebug thanks for the post. I am happy to hear how after some adversity you persevered!

Now as for your youngest daughter....maybe she can as a dental hygienist find a use for the MIG WELDER!?
    Likes Ronkh, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It`s when people stop blaming others, and being victims, finally start taking responsibility for their lives when things start getting good.

As Junebug showed, let go of the past, (can`t change it anyway) and start making a life for yourself and family.

People are too quick to shout they are offended.... Well so what.

The beauty of Christmas is imho the "spirit", I don`t care what denomination someone is. If the "spirit" of giving offends them...........................

If something offends you, so be it. Is it really necessary to go shout it from the hill tops?
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes Stokdgs, House of Wax, Junebug liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great post Anthony !!!! I can still remember "tearing up" the streets after I got my first bike Xmas morning. Such great memories !!!! Things were just so simpler then. Nowadays the Christmas session is nothing but rushing and stress.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fdresq4 View Post
    Would that be Sweet Tea? Being from Jersey, that stuff is liquid gold.

Steve
    Yes sweet but I have been drinking unsweet since I drink so much of it. I recall quite a few years ago I was in Plymouth Mass in the middle o winter (snow around) on a biz trip and we stopped at a restaurant for lunch. I asked for iced tea and they looked like I was nuts. They said they could make some hot tea and put ice on it....

Al
    The Need to Bead

Likes fdresq4 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post

If something offends you, so be it. Is it really necessary to go shout it from the hill tops?
    This wasn`t directed at the op, or other posters in this thread.

My meaning behind this post was that people get "offended" by toooooo many things (imho)

People now a days think that they have the right not to be offended and that it`s the governments place to handle it.

Kind of reminds me when someone doesn`t like a tv show. complain, complain complain........ Why not just change the channel ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Or "I find that Nativity Scene offensive....... Look across the street then..........

It`s not the governments place to make you happy, or mine for that matter. Is it fair that my tv is larger than yous? Is it my fault?

Your destiny is in your own hands. Stop being victims, and start on the road to success.

I think that part of the reason we see the decline of Christmas Spirit, is that people have less common courtesy toward each other. They think that it`s my way or the highway, instead of letting people live and let live.......

That was the reason behind the post I made. Anthony, I`m sorry for ruining and hijacking your thread.
    Likes Stokdgs, Junebug, fdresq4 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I do miss indoor malls, not sure what the big deal about outdoor shops is. For those that missed the 80s mall scene:

11 Photos of 1980s Malls That Will, Like, Totally Blow Your Mind

A lot has certainly changed but I think it`s grinchy to not point out what has gotten better.

I can now actually order something other than junk to my door. Those poorly colored LED lights, well now I can be Clark Griswold and not broke. People around here decorate way more then when I was a kid. Last but certainly not least I can create a wish list and actually get something I can use.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information