Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I just received my Porter Cable polisher today and I am concerned that a low speeds I hear a "growling" from the gears at low speed. Is this normal? I expected it to sound smooth like a drill or a Router. By the way, there is a large difference in using the 6" weight vs. 5" weight with the 6" backer plate from Classic.

Dallas

Post Thanks / Like
    I heard a noise from my buffer; almost like two metal objects sliding over each other. I always thought it was normal, there is no problems with the buffer, it works great.

I don`t know about your other questions, sorry.:bounce

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Dallas welcome to the group! The noise that you hear is normal. I`m pretty sure that it is due to the random orbital head.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess that the noise I`m hearing, it almost sounds like loose gears, but verything seems tight. I guess it`s just the orbital mechanisim I`m hearing.

Dallas

Post Thanks / Like
    Dallas:

When you say there is a large difference in using the 6" weight vs. 5" weight with the 6" backer plate from Classic, do you mean that you installed the 6" counterweight and noticed a big difference in the performance of the machine? If so, what specific differences did you notice?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry Mike I should have been more specific. What I meant to say is that with the 6" backing from Classic Motor Acc., the 6 inch counter-weight made the machine run with less vibration.

Dallas

Post Thanks / Like

removing "spider webbing" on BMW 750i

Hey guys, I`m a newb that has purchased a 07 BMW 750i with black paint. The detail guy I talked to said to get the light scratches or "spider webbing" as I call it out of my car was darn near impossible because it was black. Is this true? Seems like from what I have read here if one uses the right polish and pad anything is fixable. What is the best way to attack a black car? I have purchased meg 105 ,205 and the bfwd and am anxious to get started.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tyler16 View Post
    Hey guys, I`m a newb that has purchased a 07 BMW 750i with black paint. The detail guy I talked to said to get the light scratches or "spider webbing" as I call it out of my car was darn near impossible because it was black. Is this true? Seems like from what I have read here if one uses the right polish and pad anything is fixable. What is the best way to attack a black car? I have purchased meg 105 ,205 and the bfwd and am anxious to get started.

thanks
    tyler16,

First of all, welcome to TID. It is good to have another lamb join the fold (jk). This is a great place with a lot of very talented detailers.

You are correct in stating that with the right polish and pads you can correct just about any defect. The M105/205 combo is a great place to start. You can get amazing results with this. Also the BFWD is my all time favorite LSP for any color. What type of polisher do you have? Do you have a rotary or a DA/RO? I would call Angelo at PAC and he will get you started with the best possible package for your needs.

Good luck and be sure to post some pics.
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for quick reply, I have a meguires DA/RO that I use on my boat. I also bought some pads, the colors are yellow, orange and red from agressive to smooth.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for quick reply, I have a meguires DA/RO that I use on my boat. I also bought some pads, the colors are yellow, orange and red from agressive to smooth.
    You might want to think about purchasing a few white and black pads as well. If the swirls are as bad as you said, you might want to start off with 105 on an orange pad. If that does not work go to the yellow with 105. Always start with the least aggressive method first. Then follow up with 205 on a white pad. Remember to prime your pad well before you start polishing and do small 2x2` sections at a time. Make sure to inspect your work to make sure that you are achieving the desired results. Then you can move on to the next section. If there is still some light micro maring (black cars are a part time job), use a black pad with a quality finishing polish.
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tips. What is micro maring?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tips. What is micro maring?
    It is the light hazing caused by the abbrasive nature of the compound and pad. You might need a finishing polish to help remove that. It all depends on how well the combo finishes down.
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    Tyler,
    What size pads are you using with the megs DA?

Jon

Post Thanks / Like
    First off, congrats on the new ride. There`s (almost) nothing like an Ultimate Driving Machine! Second, your "detail guy" isn`t really a detail guy. Black BMW paint can be corrected to perfect condition with the right methods and products.

I`ll agree with Barry in that the M105/M205 has worked extremely well for me and on BMW blacks. I`m also curious about Jon`s question i.e. what size pads are you using? I like 5.5" when I`m using a DA ROB although I do have some 6" I use at times. I personally don`t like anything bigger than 6" on my DA for correction.

Depending on your paint condition and relative hardness/softness the M105 might leave some slight hazing but that`s not a bad thing. It usually means your cutting down through the micromarring or swirls (spider web looking scratches). The hazing can be easily removed with the M205 or as suggested another finer cut polish (Menzerna 106FF, PO85RD etc.). I`ll also agree with Barry with picking up some white and black pads from Lake Country. You`ll then have a more complete pad/polish combo and you can experiment with what works best on your paint.

Good luck and enjoy the transformation. If you get the chance share some pics with us. We love BMW`s after a good detail!

Post Thanks / Like
    puckman, you are so right about ultimate driving machine. I love driving this thing, now I know why those BMW drivers were always driving by so fast. You can`t help but drive fast in this sucker.

the pads I have are 6" or 6.5" I think. I got to looking last night and I also have some white and red pads(bought the stuff about 3 or 4 months ago). I have the bigger pads because my boat is larger than normal and it is a PITA to wash, polish and wax all in the same day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information