2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Likes Ronkh, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: SRT Hellcat engine

Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post
    The game changer....

untitled.png
    I`ve read a few articles on this engine now that people have had a chance to play with it. Doesn`t sound like it takes too much at all to get it into the 800 H.P. range.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

imagesCAQTU4R7.jpg[attach=config]TA.jpg
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Not to be negative about it as it is a great power plant, but I am glad to see that an American car company is figuring out that FI is a viable option to make gobs of power. I don`t see it as game changing since back in the 90/00`s I owned a 2.0 liter car that made over 600 awhp (not 707 crank with a 6.2L).

So I don`t really see this as revolutionary in any facet I just see it as an American company figuring out how to make huge power numbers without trying to fit a 9.0L V16 or something stupid.
    Likes wendell jarvis, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I just like how Ford, GM and Chrysler are putting out cars with huge horsepower. They don`t seem to be afraid of insurance companies any more. The `15 Mustang GT now comes standard with line lock.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ccarney View Post
    I just like how Ford, GM and Chrysler are putting out cars with huge horsepower. They don`t seem to be afraid of insurance companies any more. The `15 Mustang GT now comes standard with line lock.
    I`ll be the last one to complain about powerful vehicles being produced. I despise driving slow vehicles (and no I am not a teenager nor in my 20`s ).
    Likes ccarney, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EVOlved View Post
    Not to be negative about it as it is a great power plant, but I am glad to see that an American car company is figuring out that FI is a viable option to make gobs of power. I don`t see it as game changing since back in the 90/00`s I owned a 2.0 liter car that made over 600 awhp (not 707 crank with a 6.2L).

So I don`t really see this as revolutionary in any facet I just see it as an American company figuring out how to make huge power numbers without trying to fit a 9.0L V16 or something stupid.
    I totally agree with you. Not trying to take anything away from the Hellcat, because I personally think all the new FI cars are badass. The Shelby GT500, Z28, Hellcat they are all awesome. But I think the true game changer for the domestic car industry was the `03/`04 Mustang Cobra`s. Msrp was around $33,000 and it came from the factory supercharged with 390hp. Change a pulley, tune, and bam your at 500rwhp. Change a blower and your at 700rwhp. And that`s for under $40,000! If it were only like that today. Now you have to have around $75,000 to play. Which is almost stupid.

Now for the imports if it weren`t for turbos the size of my head I don`t know where they would be SRT Hellcat engine. I don`t care what anybody says, AWD and 600awhp is very cool. I almost bought an old `95 AWD Talon once. It had about 350awhp and it would get up and go in a hurry.
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Likes EVOlved, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XxBoostinxX View Post
    I totally agree with you. Not trying to take anything away from the Hellcat, because I personally think all the new FI cars are badass. The Shelby GT500, Z28, Hellcat they are all awesome. But I think the true game changer for the domestic car industry was the `03/`04 Mustang Cobra`s. Msrp was around $33,000 and it came from the factory supercharged with 390hp. Change a pulley, tune, and bam your at 500rwhp. Change a blower and your at 700rwhp. And that`s for under $40,000! If it were only like that today. Now you have to have around $75,000 to play. Which is almost stupid.

Now for the imports if it weren`t for turbos the size of my head I don`t know where they would be SRT Hellcat engine. I don`t care what anybody says, AWD and 600awhp is very cool. I almost bought an old `95 AWD Talon once. It had about 350awhp and it would get up and go in a hurry.
    I agree 100% and I put together that 600 awhp for under 25k as a youngster. It was insanely fun it was a `90 TSI BTW. I think my neck still has whiplash but I also think my retirement would be much nicer if I had never loved cars the way I do!!
    Likes XxBoostinxX, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EVOlved View Post

you`re also comparing a modded engine with aftermarket parts I assume? to a stock Powerplant from the factory with a warranty.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JHL88 View Post
    you`re also comparing a modded engine with aftermarket parts I assume? to a stock Powerplant from the factory with a warranty.
    Isn`t that what the Hellcat is? A modified Hemi engine with a supercharger?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XxBoostinxX View Post
    Isn`t that what the Hellcat is? A modified Hemi engine with a supercharger?
    it`s still a factory engine. I was comparing it to another engine that has been modified by the owner with parts other than oe. apples to oranges.

if Hennessey got it hands on it that would be a different story. (if they haven`t already) I do see what you mean though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JHL88 View Post
    And for the price to rebuild my engine I could have done it 10 times before I paid for a hellcat with a warranty... Mmm warranty or not I`m just saying I don`t think it is revolutionary, a step in the right direction yes. And like previously stated I think it will be a fantastic car for all those who are willing to take that dive.

Post Thanks / Like

My biggest concern would be if the rest of the car was beefed up enough to handle that power. Suspension , cooling system and tranny especially.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    My biggest concern would be if the rest of the car was beefed up enough to handle that power. Suspension , cooling system and tranny especially.
    It isn`t beefed up at all. There is a video floating around of the driveshaft falling out of one at the drag strip. Don`t think that is covered under the "warranty".

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently it`s the second time this car has done this. Scroll down the page some: Driveshaft is the weak link! | SRT Hellcat Forum

Likes Stokdgs, JSFM35X liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information