Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: SRT Hellcat engine

And to think back in the 80s BMW decided to get into Formula-1 racing and built a 1.5L, twin turbo 1200 HP car !!!
    The best drivers then were a little worried about it because they said it broke traction at any speed when you put the pedal down..
    Dan F
    Likes XxBoostinxX, EVOlved liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XxBoostinxX View Post
    It isn`t beefed up at all. There is a video floating around of the driveshaft falling out of one at the drag strip. Don`t think that is covered under the "warranty".
    Apparently it`s the second time this car has done this. Scroll down the page some: Driveshaft is the weak link! | SRT Hellcat Forum
    Definitely never had that one happen to me .
    Likes XxBoostinxX liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

On paper a great concept, but they obviously meant it to be for sunday cruise shows. As soon as you get your right foot fully involved in the fun, things go wrong very fast. The video I saw in your link show the car getting about 10 feet before the drive shaft went boom.

It`s really to bad because the cars have potential. Not sure why companies don`t hire people like me to put the car through its paces before they release these to the public? They must feel that people want the bragging rights but will never drive the car. IMHO its just stupid because now anyone plunking down 60K+ on a Hellcat sees all this bad press, and I would pass and get something else.

Apparently it`s the second time this car has done this. Scroll down the page some: Driveshaft is the weak link! | SRT Hellcat Forum
    Likes XxBoostinxX liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This is the real world where the real testing is done. If this is the biggest problem this car has it would be amazing. The aftermarket and Mopar will design stronger replacements. This will get fixed, hopefully no one gets hurt before it does. Knowing this car potetially has this problem would lead me to install a driveline loop if I owned one. I have seen a Camaro drop a driveline up front, shoving the driveline into the asphault and for lack of a better description catapult the car bending the last third of the car and destroying the rear suspension. Driveline loop would have saved it.

By the way I do think this is a game changer, if only a minor one. It has put Mopar in a position where it hasn`t been for some time with the Mustangs and Camaros playing catch up. Sad, I`m a Ford guy. Wonder how it corners?
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    This is the real world where the real testing is done. If this is the biggest problem this car has it would be amazing. The aftermarket and Mopar will design stronger replacements. This will get fixed, hopefully no one gets hurt before it does. Knowing this car potetially has this problem would lead me to install a driveline loop if I owned one. I have seen a Camaro drop a driveline up front, shoving the driveline into the asphault and for lack of a better description catapult the car bending the last third of the car and destroying the rear suspension. Driveline loop would have saved it.

By the way I do think this is a game changer, if only a minor one. It has put Mopar in a position where it hasn`t been for some time with the Mustangs and Camaros playing catch up. Sad, I`m a Ford guy. Wonder how it corners?
    That really depends on what were talking here. HP numbers? Yes, obviously. Straight line speed? I do believe so. Quickness around a track with twisties? No. The new z/28 is far more capable than the new Hellcat when curves are involved. As a matter of fact no model of a Mustang/Challenger can compete with it as of right now. When the new GT350R hits the streets that will be interesting..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JHL88 View Post
    That really depends on what were talking here. HP numbers? Yes, obviously. Straight line speed? I do believe so. Quickness around a track with twisties? No. The new z/28 is far more capable than the new Hellcat when curves are involved. As a matter of fact no model of a Mustang/Challenger can compete with it as of right now. When the new GT350R hits the streets that will be interesting..
    The new Z28 is pretty awesome. But let`s not sugar coat it, it is a full blown race car. If it wasn`t for the ugly ass gold bow tie on the front I would want one. Can`t wait to see the new GT350R and Z28 go at it, it is going to be interesting. I think both Ford and GM finally realize it`s not just about horsepower, but about how it handles as well.
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Likes JHL88, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I was a boy during the Muscle Car era on the late 60`s and early 70`s. 429 Boss Mustangs, 427 Tri-powered Corvettes, 426 Hemi Superbirds. Need I say more??
    It all ended rather quickly with insurance, smog/pollution regulations, and finally the Oil Embargo putting an end to the horsepower race.

Times have not changed. While one could complain about the cost of the new modern Muscle Car, their prices are on par with what one paid in the late 60`s and early 70`s.A base Corvette was about twice the sticker price of what an Impala was. Funny how history (economic and world events) repeats itself.

That said, this truly is a banner time for modern Muscle Cars. Yesterday`s cars pale in comparison, other than style. Ride, handling, gas mileage, creature comforts, quality, longevity are all greatly improved over what was available in the early Muscle Car era. The car back then that turned my head was a Ford GT40 in the Gulf Oil colors of sky blue and orange. The recently shown revised/redesigned GT40 does the same thing, although admittedly more exotic than muscle car.

My point is enjoy it while you can. Governments and world events can change the motoring landscape in a hurry.
    Think how Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) regulations have impacted detailing products.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, with the twisted drive line I thought it was somewhat obvious this discussion was about this car launching and going down a straight line. Hense my question of wondering how this car goes around a corner. Never meant to imply it would run with a Boss 302 or Z/28 through the corners. The catch up game is always an interesting proposition, no one car is best at everything. I don`t think any of the mystique surrounding this car has been about what it does going through the twisties. Everything I`ve seen advertising this beast has been geared towards gobs of power and getting through the quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by JHL88 View Post
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    I was a boy during the Muscle Car era on the late 60`s and early 70`s. 429 Boss Mustangs, 427 Tri-powered Corvettes, 426 Hemi Superbirds. Need I say more??
    It all ended rather quickly with insurance, smog/pollution regulations, and finally the Oil Embargo putting an end to the horsepower race.

Times have not changed. While one could complain about the cost of the new modern Muscle Car, their prices are on par with what one paid in the late 60`s and early 70`s.A base Corvette was about twice the sticker price of what an Impala was. Funny how history (economic and world events) repeats itself.

That said, this truly is a banner time for modern Muscle Cars. Yesterday`s cars pale in comparison, other than style. Ride, handling, gas mileage, creature comforts, quality, longevity are all greatly improved over what was available in the early Muscle Car era. The car back then that turned my head was a Ford GT40 in the Gulf Oil colors of sky blue and orange. The recently shown revised/redesigned GT40 does the same thing, although admittedly more exotic than muscle car.

My point is enjoy it while you can. Governments and world events can change the motoring landscape in a hurry.
    Think how Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) regulations have impacted detailing products.
    I`m sure that was an awesome time to see cars really come of age. The only difference today is how far technology has come in such a short time. Even an electric car can put down crazy horsepower/torque. I hope we don`t see any regulations or restrictions on these cars. It would be a shame.

I just hope one day I can actually afford some, even one, of these awesome cars. Everything is so "limited edition" now and it keeps the prices so high.

Something like this?
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Likes Stokdgs, EVOlved liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

The new Z28 is pretty awesome. But let`s not sugar coat it, it is a full blown race car. If it wasn`t for the ugly ass gold bow tie on the front I would want one. Can`t wait to see the new GT350R and Z28 go at it, it is going to be interesting. I think both Ford and GM finally realize it`s not just about horsepower, but about how it handles as well.
    You mean the "Flowtie" :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

To me the production car that is the best mix of Comfortable, reliable, Daily Driver, Street race car, track capable handling and straight line acceleration is a .......................

911 Turbo S

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    Yeah, with the twisted drive line I thought it was somewhat obvious this discussion was about this car launching and going down a straight line. Hense my question of wondering how this car goes around a corner. Never meant to imply it would run with a Boss 302 or Z/28 through the corners. The catch up game is always an interesting proposition, no one car is best at everything. I don`t think any of the mystique surrounding this car has been about what it does going through the twisties. Everything I`ve seen advertising this beast has been geared towards gobs of power and getting through the quarter.
    Likes Ronkh, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    To me the production car that is the best mix of Comfortable, reliable, Daily Driver, Street race car, track capable handling and straight line acceleration is a .......................

911 Turbo S
    I honestly loved daily driving my C5z06 when I had it. It was seriously the most comfortable seats I`ve sat in. Wasn`t really that refined though it felt like a straight up race car compared to the C6 vettes but thats what gave it a cool driving experience. Man, I miss that car...

Post Thanks / Like
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

What most of you are missing here is that you are paying for the complete package with the Hellcat.

You get 700+HP, all creature comforts, great handling and excellent braking in a 4400+lb car that you can drive everyday for less than $70K (although I would advise driving this beast in the snow.)

Runs low 11`s on street tires and if that idiot from Gas Monkey Garage can get it to run 10.8 @ 126 on DR`s there is more potential with an experienced drag racer behind the wheel.

Now for the cry babies whining about the two broken drive shafts on the same car, the car was running 109 race fuel (rumors have it that there was a 100 shot of nitrous used as well which could be the reason for the 109 to help reduce detonation since no tuning is available for these yet) , DR`s on an extremely well prepped track surface, cool dense air=more power, and a negative DA. In the video you can see the car spin then dead hook which will shock the drivetrain (plus the weight of the car + driver had to be at least 4600lbs or more) and caused the failure of the drive shaft.

When I order my Hellcat I will also order a DSS drive shaft and their 1400hp axles for extra insurance to handle my trips to the track.

Finally, these cars will be a great piece of automotive history in the decades to come.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information