Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Customers watching while you work

This question is for you pro detailer`s. Do you let or mind if customers watch you while you work on their vehicle? I`ve asked two detailers that have worked on my car and one was fine with it and the other hesitated a little and said sure. I explained to them that I wasn`t spying on them just that I`d like to see how they do things as I`d like to learn one day. I just watch quietly and don`t say a word unless they spark up a conversation. One detailer talked to me the entire time and even told me what he was doing next and products he uses. I find it very informative. Is it rude to ask if they can watch? I`m sure there may be some that prefer peace and quiet or even listen to music while they work.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Customers watching while you work

If someone cares to hang around I have no problem discussing what I`m doing or what I`m using. I`m certainly not trying to be holding a seminar, but nothing is really a big secret as far as i`m concerned.

most times I don`t mind the chit chat either. although here and there you run across someone who wants to talk a little too much. You try holding a discussion with the polisher running - lol.

recently a client left me a nice review on google and commented on the fact that I was open about things

From google places:

"I dealt with Bryan and he walked me through everything step by step. He was completely honest and upfront with me about anything I wanted to know. He did an amazing job on the car. Would Definitely bring another car to him anytime. It was a breath of fresh air to see someone still take pride in their work."
    Bryan
    Mr. Sparkle Detailing Inc - Owner / Operator
    http://www.mrsparkledetailing.com
    Instagram @MrSparkleDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

By definition I`m not a pro, meaning that I do not make a living detailing, but I sure can produce the results of someone that does.

That said I`ve had a few details that the person has watched and asked questions. For me its PITA and makes a long detail even longer. I get into my own world and prefer not to be talked to or asked questions. Since I work on cars at home, I usually tell the customer if they are dropping off the car to use mine and or have someone pick them up and go after a very long lunch. Most of the time this is no issue with me, as I do a pickup and delivery. It`s part of my selling point.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bryan and beemerboy for your responses. By pro I simply meant it as someone who gets paid to detail cars. I can see how beemerboy would prefer to be left alone as I would probably wish the same if I was in his shoes. That was a great review that customer left, Bryan. As a person that lacks the knowledge it`s great to learn a couple of things about the process of a detail. To me, it makes me appreciate the art and craft that you detailers possess.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I`m with both Bryan and beemerboy on this, but 99% of the ones I have done over the years have never ask or stand around looking at what I`m doing. They most of the time would leave and come back late in the day or early evening home when I`m finishing up.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

I once had a guy pull up a lawn chair with a beer and watch.

I don`t mind it as long as they let me work. I often prefer to put on some music and go to my own little happy place but I don`t mind explaining and educating them as long as it isn`t all day. I have had a few who were a little too controlling and were concerned because they had heard horror stories and wanted to know every little thing about every step before I began. And the reaction when they see you take sandpaper to their paint can be priceless.

Post Thanks / Like

I charge by the hour and have nothing to hide, so no, I don`t mind if you watch

Post Thanks / Like

Well for me it was a mobile detailer coming to my house on a Saturday morning. It was a cool 60F outside and my large trees provided shade until noon. He came to my house at 7:30am and it was too nice of a day to go back inside the house. I asked him if it was ok for me to sit out and just watch. He was more than happy for me to stay out and learn.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dc52nv View Post
    Well for me it was a mobile detailer coming to my house on a Saturday morning. It was a cool 60F outside and my large trees provided shade until noon. He came to my house at 7:30am and it was too nice of a day to go back inside the house. I asked him if it was ok for me to sit out and just watch. He was more than happy for me to stay out and learn.
    At 0600 this morning it was already 90* here

What city do you live in?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    At 0600 this morning it was already 90* here

What city do you live in?
    I`m in Fresno, Ca.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn`t mind it at all in fact that`s how I got into doing this. I hired a detailer to prep my car for a car show and I watched him work. After a few maintenance details I was helping him work on my car and a few others when he would do for the same show. I learned a lot by watching and helping.

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I usually ok with customers watching, and chatting it up for anything except wet sanding I had a customer loose it when he saw the big gray spot on his black porsche lol. It does get annoying if your really busy or on a time crunch though.

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly I find it really annoying and it slows me down.

The only exception for me is older/eldery men who are just plain lonely and need the company .I seem to have plenty of patience for that and actually enjoy their company and stories too.

I really just love talking to old people!

Just yesterday I had an older guy talk with me through most of the detail and I was fine with it and enjoyed his company .

I dont mind teaching a bit ,but any more then 15 minutes is too much for me unless Im getting paid extra!

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ca.detailchick View Post
    Honestly I find it really annoying and it slows me down.

The only exception for me is older/eldery men who are just plain lonely and need the company .I seem to have plenty of patience for that and actually enjoy their company and stories too.

I really just love talking to old people!

Just yesterday I had an older guy talk with me through most of the detail and I was fine with it and enjoyed his company .

I dont mind teaching a bit ,but any more then 15 minutes is too much for me unless Im getting paid extra!
    Come on...... We all know why people watch you work

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t mind people watching or asking questions. I have a waiting room with over 20 current subscriptions to all automobile related material. That for anyone who has stayed keeps them busy.

I also have all copies of magazines or books and pictures of vehicles I`ve done. It really as of yet not been a problem. If anything they have said it made them more relaxed to just let me work.
    A fridge, coffee, snacks and food delivery also helps. I think if there is nothing else to do people get bored and unintentionally might slow you down.
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information