View Poll Results: Hobby, Part-Time, or Full-Time?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hobby

87 61.70%
  • Part-Time

34 24.11%
  • Full-Time

20 14.18%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hobby, Full Time or Part Time

just a hobby right now but hoping to explode into a full time buisness this summer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steve1972 View Post
    just a hobby right now but hoping to explode into a full time buisness this summer

Heya Steve,

It can easily turn into just that. You grab one client and do a quality detail. They go home and show friends and family. Next thing you know, you got people banging down your door to get in! I always find it helpful to leave several flyer`s or business cards `cause they almost always will get passed along to potential clients. Good luck going full-time in the summer!

-J

Post Thanks / Like

hobby for me

so far only family and a couple friends but sometimes I don`t know why I do family. They don`t seem to appreciate it as much as people who actually pay for it and I don`t know why that is...

Post Thanks / Like

part time only for a couple years now (after spending years as hobby only)

full time job so I`m weekends only for the most part (strictly mobile work).

steady business relying on basically word of mouth only up until a few months ago (when I launched the website)
    Bryan
    Mr. Sparkle Detailing Inc - Owner / Operator
    http://www.mrsparkledetailing.com
    Instagram @MrSparkleDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

As hobbies go, detailing is not that expensive even after you get some nice tools compared to some. From what I have seen from others, if you own a boat....you are owned by the boat or as they say "a hole in the water you pour money into"

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

It`s less expensive than golf!

Post Thanks / Like

hobby here.

Post Thanks / Like

Part time for years for me. I would love it to be full time as its my passion and love. Its very rewarding to turn any automobile into a beautiful work of art.

Hopefully soon!
    Thomas Kehlenbeck
    Aggressive Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    As hobbies go, detailing is not that expensive even after you get some nice tools compared to some. From what I have seen from others, if you own a boat....you are owned by the boat or as they say "a hole in the water you pour money into"
    The two happiest days in a boat owners life.

The day he gets it

The day he gets rid of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Former Life

I started to do autobody work in the early to mid 70`s and dabbled in custom paint work and did some pretty interesting paint jobs on both cars and motorcycles. I sprayed lacquer`s, enamels, and urethane`s. I also sprayed allot of paint made by Metalflake Paint Company which includes:

• MetalFlake®
    • Glowble®
    • Eerie-Dess®
    • Spindrift®
    • StarPearl®
    • Flip Flop®
    • MicroGlow®

I really enjoyed some of the custom jobs. Laying down a nice Pearlescent Finish with contrasting webbing picking up various major colors on the car products some dazzling results! The "aroma" of these products made me "feel" pretty good while applying them. Unlike today, there was little protection for the bodyman in those days.

Detailing was sort of a side component of painting but you had to know what to do and when. Wet sanding with the proper grit of paper and what products to use to bring the finish to the desired glow was a real challenge and all had to be performed using a rotary polisher.

If I told you I never screwed up a paint job with a rotary I`d be BSing you. Several times I did learn the hard way and because of this, I took my time and proceed cautiously learning the required skills as I went along.

Detailing has always been a hobby or obsession. Now I take care of my own vehicles, family members, and close friends. During the warmer months I perform about 7 details monthly, winter months it drops to about 3 as I only maintain my own...

Detailing isn`t easy by any means so don`t let anyone fool you. It`s a lot of work but when a jobs finished and done correctly there`s simply a great deal of personal satisfaction.

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like

None of the above, detailing is my life. Everything I do, weather it be cleaning a stove, sweeping a floor, I`m always thinking of ways to do it better. Detailing is not a job, it`s a state of mind!
    Get your shine on!

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Former Life

I started to do autobody work in the early to mid 70`s and dabbled in custom paint work and did some pretty interesting paint jobs on both cars and motorcycles. I sprayed lacquer`s, enamels, and urethane`s. I also sprayed allot of paint made by Metalflake Paint Company which includes:

• MetalFlake®
    • Glowble®
    • Eerie-Dess®
    • Spindrift®
    • StarPearl®
    • Flip Flop®
    • MicroGlow®

I really enjoyed some of the custom jobs. Laying down a nice Pearlescent Finish with contrasting webbing picking up various major colors on the car products some dazzling results! The "aroma" of these products made me "feel" pretty good while applying them. Unlike today, there was little protection for the bodyman in those days.

Detailing was sort of a side component of painting but you had to know what to do and when. Wet sanding with the proper grit of paper and what products to use to bring the finish to the desired glow was a real challenge and all had to be performed using a rotary polisher.

If I told you I never screwed up a paint job with a rotary I`d be BSing you. Several times I did learn the hard way and because of this, I took my time and proceed cautiously learning the required skills as I went along.

Detailing has always been a hobby or obsession. Now I take care of my own vehicles, family members, and close friends. During the warmer months I perform about 7 details monthly, winter months it drops to about 3 as I only maintain my own...

Detailing isn`t easy by any means so don`t let anyone fool you. It`s a lot of work but when a jobs finished and done correctly there`s simply a great deal of personal satisfaction.
    Bob I can`t agree with you more. Knowing how thar paint is applied gives you so much input on how it is removed. Following behind different painters and your self builds the knowledge of where and how you can remove defects. When you get into restorations and repaints this knowledge is key to not having a major problem. I`m glad you posted this. Not everything is as it seems and sometimes there are big risks.

The rewards can be great turning around a vehicle. The risks can be greater.

Great response!
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

It has been between a hobby and a part time business for me. I have always enjoyed keeping my vehicles detailed and people started asking me if I would do it for them. In the last couple of years, most weekends have a least one detail lined up from spring to late fall. It generally takes me 6 - 10 hours to detail a vehicle, depending on how the paint is treated. Since I am working in a carport I don`t work during the winter months.

Unfortunately I may have to quit. Went in for a physical this week and had the doc take a look at my right knee. For the last couple of months, by the time I am finished working, my knee is so swollen it is difficult to bend my leg. It appears the knee is wearing out and have scheduled a visit with an orthopedist. Hopefully it is not a big deal but will wait and see...

Post Thanks / Like

Part time for now...

Probably full time within 2 years I hope.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by daves120 View Post
    It has been between a hobby and a part time business for me. I have always enjoyed keeping my vehicles detailed and people started asking me if I would do it for them. In the last couple of years, most weekends have a least one detail lined up from spring to late fall. It generally takes me 6 - 10 hours to detail a vehicle, depending on how the paint is treated. Since I am working in a carport I don`t work during the winter months.

Unfortunately I may have to quit. Went in for a physical this week and had the doc take a look at my right knee. For the last couple of months, by the time I am finished working, my knee is so swollen it is difficult to bend my leg. It appears the knee is wearing out and have scheduled a visit with an orthopedist. Hopefully it is not a big deal but will wait and see...
    Sorry to here that Scott. Hopefully it all works out.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information