Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Muratic acid

Just use an outlet save you hundreds of dollars and the problem of lugging it around. Use an outlet they will understand.

:bounce

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Wax-Master-2002 [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>Just use an outlet save you hundreds of dollars and the problem of lugging it around. Use an outlet they will understand.

[/b]</blockquote>
    But what happens when he shows up at a business that won`t let him use their power. Some places are funny about that. And what happens if he has to detail a car that is in the middle of a parking lot? Not sure if you have a 1000ft extension cord but I don`t .

I don`t think lugging it around is a problem. Simply strap it down in the bed of a pickup or stick in on a trailer

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Wax-Master-2002 [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>Well I Own a rotary buffer very old of course but I use a wool pad. . . . . . I used the rotary buffer on it and pushed very hard were talking hard. He blended or whatever and totally got rid of the marks.[/b]</blockquote>Have you ever used a buffer before? What made you push "hard were talking hard" with a wool pad with any buffer, let alone a rotary buffer?

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by puterbum [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>
    Have you ever used a buffer before? What made you push "hard were talking hard" with a wool pad with any buffer, let alone a rotary buffer? [/b]</blockquote>
    I think the question is, What made you use a wool pad in the first place?

I guess we are all newbies and must learn the ways of the wax-master :scared

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Intel486 [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>

I think the question is, What made you use a wool pad in the first place?[/b]</blockquote>
    Intel,

Are you forgetting that he uses the CWB religiously?

Post Thanks / Like
    What happened to jazzyjack`s replies? I see references to them but am not seeing any posts.

Post Thanks / Like
    I dunno maybe he deleted them?

Intesting Putey.

Post Thanks / Like

Muratic acid

Does anyone here have experience with using muratic acid? I have a few questions about it.
    1. Will muratic acid remove the clear coating on coated aluminum wheels?
    2. Would a fresh water rinse with a hose be sufficient to remove the muratic acid from the wheel If I would Strip the wheel with it?

I have these wheels to deal with that have corrosion under the clear over most of the wheel and wanted to strip the clear from them then polish the aluminum up and re clear them and found gallons of muratic acid for $4.95 at a local surplus store. Would a product like Kleen-Strip be a better choice?

I have some ten inch polishing wheels and all the grade of large compound sticks to polish the wheels back up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuscarora Dave View Post
    Does anyone here have experience with using muratic acid? I have a few questions about it.
    2. Would a fresh water rinse with a hose be sufficient to remove the muratic acid from the wheel If I would Strip the wheel with it?

I have these wheels to deal with that have corrosion under the clear over most of the wheel and wanted to strip the clear from them then polish the aluminum up and re clear them and found gallons of muratic acid for $4.95 at a local surplus store. Would a product like Kleen-Strip be a better choice?

I have some ten inch polishing wheels and all the grade of large compound sticks to polish the wheels back up.
    Dave,

This stuff is very dangerous to work with. It is used to etch concrete and i do not think you want to be dealing with it. i can cause serious chemical burns.

Jedi Master
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...Would a product like Kleen-Strip be a better choice?...
    Yes.

I have used aircraft paint stripper on clear coated aluminum parts such as the pickup truck diamond plate protectors that attach to the bed edges.
    A lot of them were coated with some sort of clear paint that inevitably oxidized to the point of a milky white consistency.

Didn`t damage the aluminum at ALL- all I did was hand polish the aluminum afterwards and they looked as good as new if not better.
    If the wheels are powder coated it`ll take longer to remove, and perhaps a second or third application.

The acid route? Not good. Not only will it damage the wheel, causing WAY more damage than is already there... I don`t know how well it will dissolve the clear coating. If its like most acids... it won`t do much. It`s packaged in plastic containers for a reason! X_X
    Kevin Brown
    NXTti Instructor, Meguiar`s/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar`s Distributor/Retailer

Post Thanks / Like

Muratic acid is another name for hydrochloric acid - nasty stuff.

Kleen-Strip is also nasty but not an acid, it has powerful solvents including:
    • Methylene chloride
    • Methanol
    • Toluene
    • Acetone
    • Xylene

You MUST wear chemical resistant gloves - NOT latex gloves (they will be melted over your hands!). High flammability so be careful. Use only in a well ventilated area.

Regards,
    GEWB

Post Thanks / Like
    Like stated above, go for air craft stripper. get it at walmart for like $8-$9 and it will NOT harm the aluminum underneath. We have done that here at my dads shop plenty of times

and get the spray can version. it is easier to apply
    Doing it BIG!

Post Thanks / Like
    aircraft stripper is also extremely dangerous though. Make sure not to get it on your skin, if you do rinse with soap and water asap. Working in body shops for 8yrs I had to strip lots of parts and even complete cars. I once stripped a coach bus!! Not fun. I cant remember for the life of me what we used in the truck shop to "cut" aluminmum. i want to say we did use acid, actually Im quite sure we did. But those were Semi`s and just huge. If your doing just a few wheels, Id stick with the stripper. Just be safe.
    Michael Glissman

Post Thanks / Like
    Only in my pool

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,

It goes without saying an appropriate for the chemical with new filters, OSHA approved respirator would also be a top priority.

Please take your time, and keep your working area well, well, ventilated, etc..

Dan F

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information