Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How long does it take you to detail.

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    yes AC garage is a DREAM!

to the OP. the typical Autopian response : it depends
    Here I am using a heater when working inside a garage, occasionally

Post Thanks / Like

Too many variables everywhere. There`s instances where wheels will take 10 minutes each and then there`s those wheels that have cake on brake dust and take up to an hour per wheel. Then you have paint that requires very little clay barring and you can get away with a clay mitt and be done in 15-30 minutes depending on the size of the vehicle, or you have a badly oxidized car that just abount nothing seems to remove the oxidation and you start regretting you took the job. lol You get the point. But anywho, for something of that level Id say anywhere from 8-20 hours.

Post Thanks / Like

For a full correction with swirls and RIDS, in the dead of summer, I can only polish one panel per night. That`s all I have time for, and after that one panel, my clothes are soaked through with sweat. Not "sweaty" but soaked through. Garages in Florida in summer are a sauna.

in winter, I can get 3X that done.

Post Thanks / Like

All depends on how much work the car needs. I just spent about 20 hours for a one step on a Hummer H2. Needed a lot of chrome polishing (a good 4 hours including polishing the wheels) and the wheels/tires took me a good 2-3 hours to get clean. That was JUST the exterior. No under the hood or anything extra. Im going back for the interior tomorrow and that will probably take about another 4 hours. When all said and done ill probably have a good 25 hours total in it.

Your typical sedan, on average I do in around 4-5 hours. And that with JUST a quick once over with an AIO. If im just doing a decon wash and seal, probably 2.5-3 hours.
    shanesautodetail.com
    facebook.com/shanesautodetail
    Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I spent 12 hours on a 07 Ram quad cab
    1 step correction, was told to leave Ronnie cover alone
    Sire that would of added atleast 30 mins

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nothingface5384 View Post
    I spent 12 hours on a 07 Ram quad cab
    1 step correction, was told to leave Ronnie cover alone
    Sire that would of added atleast 30 mins
    Yeah about 4.5 hrs for a Polish job

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t drive my car very far or often, and when I do its usually just me. No kids, sometimes a passenger. So my interior is in pretty good shape, as well as the trunk and even under the hood. The past few days Ive been doing the interior wipe down, vacuum, spritzing up the engine compartment etc. Ill attack the exterior in one exhausting day. I have yet to do it as its been in the 90`s and humid here. And today they put us on water restrictions

For me, it really depends on what exactly needs to be done. For my newish to me Lexus, I spent 12 hours on day one, and 2 on day two, for a color/gloss enhancement, not even a full correction; I have a GG 6inch. But the M205 I was using was part of a bad batch, so I had to mix it with Ultimate Polish, which slowed things down. Unfortunately we fight a battle with dirt, even when storing the car in the garage between detailing sessions. So, the only way to have clean slate is to wash in between sessions or at least Waterless Wash, for me. My mother wants me to correct her Black Sapphire Metallic X3 (111K). The car is in need of so much love, that as I look at it and see all the intricate detail areas, I realize that this car will probably take at least 25 hours just for the exterior correction (there are many nooks and crannies, and a lot of masking), and it will be a wheels off detail. Detailing is very time consuming!
    I have a GG 6 inch too, and I just ordered M205. I never used M205. How did you know yours was a bad batch?
    I was going to wash, clay, use m205 and then the LSP. But is it usually recommended that a polish be 2 step? I have some slight swirls and scratches when you look at the light reflecting off the car. Not looking to do a huge correction. The car is white and just turning it a few shades whiter makes a world of difference.

I have 2 garages I could work in, (not a 2 car garage, 2 separate garages) On has not much room to work on the sides and one side has poor lighting. The other garage has lots of room to work but horrible lighting. Go figure.

I never heard of decon. How does that work and what products are used?

Post Thanks / Like

Two days using a coating.

Post Thanks / Like

To the OP-

Toooo many variables... you could have condensed or better defined your questions to get the exact answer you were wondering about.

Correction? Which in my vocabulary doesn`t mean a 1-step, 2- step, or even 3- step. With a correction you will always have wet sanding involved and multiple, multiple steps. In a `correction`, as I define it, you would be looking at 30 hrs. minimum and that is with cutting with a rotary on a mid-size car. BUT you have to get paid to do it... that`s the BIG factor. Soooo.... want you want to know is- will your market support said price point for a given hourly wage? Don`t know but if they `won`t`... then make a market for it!!!!

2-step. You are looking at 15- 20 hours minimum on a mid-size.
    Former Pro, Now Enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Migue View Post
    ..I am always blown away when I hear/read <5hrs...
    I did manage to wash my wife`s A8 in under 5hrs the other day, didn`t need to do the full-usual on the undercarriage as it hadn`t been driven in the wet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by agtjamesb007 View Post
    I don`t drive my car very far or often, and when I do its usually just me. No kids, sometimes a passenger. So my interior is in pretty good shape, as well as the trunk and even under the hood. The past few days Ive been doing the interior wipe down, vacuum, spritzing up the engine compartment etc. Ill attack the exterior in one exhausting day. I have yet to do it as its been in the 90`s and humid here. And today they put us on water restrictions

I have a GG 6 inch too, and I just ordered M205. I never used M205. How did you know yours was a bad batch?
    I was going to wash, clay, use m205 and then the LSP. But is it usually recommended that a polish be 2 step? I have some slight swirls and scratches when you look at the light reflecting off the car. Not looking to do a huge correction. The car is white and just turning it a few shades whiter makes a world of difference.

I have 2 garages I could work in, (not a 2 car garage, 2 separate garages) On has not much room to work on the sides and one side has poor lighting. The other garage has lots of room to work but horrible lighting. Go figure.

The M205 had a consistency of water mixed, I think the TSO`s were not added.

Post Thanks / Like

Short answer: google up "Valugard ABC".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I did manage to wash my wife`s A8 in under 5hrs the other day, didn`t need to do the full-usual on the undercarriage as it hadn`t been driven in the wet.

I meant when machine polishing is involved . I can understand how a washing method like yours could take what it takes, no doubt about that. I used to wash my jet black ML320 SUV in a similar way (not exactly the same) by shooting foam in front of the sponge`s path as i glided it across the surface for extra lubricity,moving very gently and slow and i would rinse the sponge clean many times throughout the process then finish by drying the whole truck with nothing but air, no drying towels period and just do minor touching up with a small towel and QD after. That process along with a "quick" interior detail would take 4-5hrs of every Saturday morning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Short answer: google up "Valugard ABC".
    Thanks! I remember seeing that years ago. Sometimes I go on a detailing forum binge, and then forget half of what I read lol

Edit: I was browsing detailing tutorials and I could swear I saw someone use nanolex wheel cleaner and iron remover on the clear coat of the car itself. Is this common as a decontamination before a wash?

Post Thanks / Like

Migue- Ah, I like the sound of how you washed that ML! So you know what I mean about washing taking a while...I know this is really about "correction" details, but I just had to post that so people might realize that time can fly when you`re being meticulous, and to give some perspective on what even "basic processes" can amount to.

Correcting in just a few hours? Including the proper attention to trim/gaps/etc.? Including tight spots that must be done by hand? Including the requisite disassembly of things like license plate mounts/etc.? Without just taking off a lot of clear everywhere (whether necessary or not) and then refining it? Without missing something that`s only visible from certain angles? LSPing all the areas that require swabs/etc. for access? I can`t do it in just a few hours.

No, no...I`m not saying people do hack details or are otherwise doing substandard work. And hey, I once did a pal`s Econoline in about four hours; he was thrilled with how it turned out, and in some cases the owner/customer`s satisfaction is all that counts.

Edit: I was browsing detailing tutorials and I could swear I saw someone use nanolex wheel cleaner and iron remover on the clear coat of the car itself. Is this common as a decontamination before a wash?
    I`m sure some people do, but I won`t use potent Wheel Products on the paint proper as the vast majority of today`s wheels have a finish that`s a lot more sturdy than regular autopaint. What is safe on a powdercoated wheel might not be safe for the rest of the car.
    Likes WaxAddict liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information