Post Thanks / Like

Be careful of mass scam email

I got this email today, and saw on AG that lots of people have been getting the same thing over the last few days and weeks. Just a heads up for everyone to be wary of possible scams
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Be careful of mass scam email

first warning was the "pls" .
    Likes ViperGuy21, Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Migue View Post
    Yep. I was somewhat wary when I read it this morning, but responded with a standard "more info please" email but didn`t want to give a phone number or location yet.
    Glad I saw the thread on AG

Post Thanks / Like

They`ll send you payment up-front for an amount exceeding the work to be done. You refund them the extra money via some non-reversible payment method like Western Union Moneygram, and find out days later that the up-front payment bounced.
    Likes ViperGuy21 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I got the same one this morning as well. Straight to the trash folder.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve gotten a few like this over the past couple months. Best one was the "I`m in the hospital about to have surgery and can`t speak but I need these cars done now!"
    shanesautodetail.com
    facebook.com/shanesautodetail
    Likes Migue liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I received the email also...someone must be snooping through PBMG order info or forums as my email isn`t public.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BayAreaTech View Post
    I received the email also...someone must be snooping through PBMG order info or forums as my email isn`t public.

I use my personal email address for PBMG orders and forums, not my detailing address.
    Maybe they snooped through Facebook and other websites with some type of algorithm....idk really though

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by `PRND[S
    ;2062262`]They`ll send you payment up-front for an amount exceeding the work to be done. You refund them the extra money via some non-reversible payment method like Western Union Moneygram, and find out days later that the up-front payment bounced.
    This is a common foreign scam. It is international banking law. Anyone sending money to the US for any reason. They can pull that money back at anytime. They will do it many months later. You have no way to stop it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlkToy14 View Post
    This is a common foreign scam. It is international banking law. Anyone sending money to the US for any reason. They can pull that money back at anytime. They will do it many months later. You have no way to stop it.
    Don`t even need banking law. Most of the scams use an easily forged method. Essentially, anything on paper. Personal check, cashier`s check, even old-school paper money orders. Your bank will "deposit" the funds and people send the money to the scammer. Once the bank actually processes the check they find it`s fake and pull the funds from your account.

That`s why I think banks should almost always have the three-day delay some have before you can use the funds you deposited from any of those methods. Obviously, some checks like payroll should be exempt but anything else shouldn`t be.

On a phone note, I did mess with a scammer once when I was selling some old truck mirrors on Craigslist. Needless to say, he sent his "payment" to James Comey at the Kansas City field office. :-\
    “Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.” - Plato

Now, if you will excuse me, I must go pray for wisdom from the Meguiar`s gods.

Post Thanks / Like

ACH (Automated Clearing House) check processing is totally antiquated and needs to be replaced by something more secure and resistant to fraud. It really has no place in the 21st century.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to help out a little more.
    Someone on the phone gives you a credit card number to purchase goods or services. You can check with the credit card companies (like VISA) to see if the card is from a foreign country. Or if it is a US card that is being used in a foreign country. The person will claim they are in Texas, or someplace in the US that you aren`t. They aren`t even in the country.
    They`ll even use good Western Union money orders. But they need you to go pick it up. Even these, the money can be pulled back if purchased from outside the US.
    Of course the overpayment game. Anything in your account. NO

I`ve seen it as much as. Accumulating goods off Craigslist. Using a mover to pick them up. Putting into a storage room. Then having the mover put that stuff in a shipping container. Shipping container goes to Africa. When it gets there. Everybody...all down the line....gets the money they were paid pulled back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Migue View Post
    Yep. Keep your wits about you out there, folks.

Thread Information