Post Thanks / Like

Swirl Removal ... lack of experience or impossible

Anyone in the Forum local to Woodbury NJ area?
    I was looking for some help with either my technique or if I should just throw the towel in on this 98 White Merc. I might be being too careful. It`s so hard to see swirls while working on it.
    I tried PB Master Cut (L C white)on the tops... 5 passes. With my 3401. Could have used an orange but wanted to see what the product could do.
    Then just did the whole car with PB polish w sealant. (White lc with Lhr15)
    It does appear there are scratches under the clear so who knows if it`s been a full repaint or just sections.
    I tried my new rotary for a few passes with PB pro polish 2 (white lc) but definitely need to wait until PB detail weekend for some hands on.

I`ll post pics tomorrow that I was able to get in the sun.

https://drive.google.com/folder/d/0B...NWQ1MzRlE/edit

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Swirl Removal ... lack of experience or impossible

3401 or the lhr15 with LC orange should cut out must with any decent medium polish.

Post Thanks / Like

Are those pictures before or after? Regardless looks like there`s a lot of work involved, looks pretty thrashed. I think you may need something more aggressive and try a couple of test spots. That Ford paint should be hard. I won`t mention how difficult white is (I HATE white) on seeing how well it`s correcting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post
    Are those pictures before or after? Regardless looks like there`s a lot of work involved, looks pretty thrashed. I think you may need something more aggressive and try a couple of test spots. That Ford paint should be hard. I won`t mention how difficult white is (I HATE white) on seeing how well it`s correcting.
    I agree that Ford paint is hard, and white paint is the hardest paint of all due to its chemical makeup. If those are the afters, then you seriously need to use a cutting pad or mf pad with a more aggressive polish than you did. If you`re not familiar with the rotary, I would hold off on that until you`ve exhausted all the options for the Flex.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

They are the after photos with no change.
    I`m going to try smaller work area..1x1.
    I did manage to remove most swirls on half the roof with Griots #1. I`m going to try SSRs next.
    With the lack of experience I don`t have a method yet and the white doesn`t help.
    Car looks great to most but not me.
    For a $900 car it`s my project.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnF350 View Post
    They are the after photos with no change.
    I`m going to try smaller work area..1x1.
    I did manage to remove most swirls on half the roof with Griots #1. I`m going to try SSRs next.
    With the lack of experience I don`t have a method yet and the white doesn`t help.
    Car looks great to most but not me.
    For a $900 car it`s my project.

Sounds like you`re getting the idea, work a smaller area with SLOWER passes and 10 - 15 lbs of downward pressure on the machine. I suggest concentrating on ONE panel at a time. Since this thing is being difficult, trying to focus on the car as a whole will be overwhelming and could lead to you giving up and we don`t want that. So just concentrate on the hood, or a fender, a door and telling yourself that one this panel is done it`s break time, for a few hors, a few days, a week. However long it takes to get your enthusiasm back.

Many people detail their cars this way all the time, one weekend do the hood from compounding to waxing, the next weekend-the front fenders, then the doors etc, etc. This allows you to take as much time as you need to get each panel done to your satisfaction without causing burnout. The Flex you have is a powerful machine and should help with this process.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Have Chris or Rich help you at pb week
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Sounds like you`re getting the idea, work a smaller area with SLOWER passes and 10 - 15 lbs of downward pressure on the machine. I suggest concentrating on ONE panel at a time. Since this thing is being difficult, trying to focus on the car as a whole will be overwhelming and could lead to you giving up and we don`t want that. So just concentrate on the hood, or a fender, a door and telling yourself that one this panel is done it`s break time, for a few hors, a few days, a week. However long it takes to get your enthusiasm back.

Many people detail their cars this way all the time, one weekend do the hood from compounding to waxing, the next weekend-the front fenders, then the doors etc, etc. This allows you to take as much time as you need to get each panel done to your satisfaction without causing burnout. The Flex you have is a powerful machine and should help with this process.
    Now that it`s got a sealant on it for the summer I`ll try the panel at a time approach.
    I`ll jump up to an orange pad too.
    I guess the Merc may be what`s going to PB weekend Ron. I`m sure wife will be thrilled..lol
    I was calling it the "hot rod" when I had a straight pipe on it. Once it got new stock exhaust I call it the "Tighty Whitey".
    I do have the Makita with purple pad but until I get some instruction I`m holding off.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I`d be orange pad with UC or 105 or FG400 Menzerna out of the gate probably. Your #1 Griots is rated the same cut as the UC though, I just haven`t had much luck with the Griots polishes personally. #3 and #4 as very light cut finishing is the best I`ve made out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you try a yellow cut pad, I have one if you want to give it a whirl.

Post Thanks / Like

or at least use an orange pad. White just isnt giving enough cut.

Post Thanks / Like

From the looks of that close up pic, you need to clay the surface. If you are investing the time into getting a swirl free finish you must have a clean smooth base. Use the orange pad with a good compound, small section at a time.

Thread Information