Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Am I Tripping over small stuff here?

I was still fixing cars 20 years ago when the industry went to the internal patch / plug or just a patch.

That being said, I`ll always plug a tire externally first. Why? See all the "Tire Shop Ruined my Wheel" threads. Even though a plug may not be the best, it`s easy, can be done without dismounting the tire (or wheel), and I can do it myself on the road if need be.

I`ve been pretty lucky not having flats in a long time., also I have a Black Jack kit and air compressor with me on the road.

I`ve also plugged like a zillion tires in my life without any catastrophe. Yes, they may not always hold - but neither do plugs.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Am I Tripping over small stuff here?

Quote Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post
    I`m sorry, but that`s certainly FUD. What you`d have if the plug came out would be a hole the size of the reamer used before the plug was inserted ie: not an explosive failure. If it`s that uncertain then by your accounts best just buying a new tire when it gets a hole. Because ya know, that plug may still come out of the patched and plugged tire if you didn`t use the right amount of unicorn snot ya know. .
    How long do you think it takes to depressurize a tire through a 1/4" hole? A few seconds, maybe 10 at the outside, I would estimate. I`ve had tires go flat in a few minutes with the piercing object still in the hole. You know, where I`ve heard the slapping from the object and pulled over and by the time I figured out what was going on the tire was flat.

And there certainly are people who won`t repair their tires but will just get a new one. I have a tire that was professionally repaired (see above, that believe it or not had an L-style hex key stuck in it) that now has a slow leak, that I haven`t gotten to the bottom of yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    I was still fixing cars 20 years ago when the industry went to the internal patch / plug or just a patch.

That being said, I`ll always plug a tire externally first. Why? See all the "Tire Shop Ruined my Wheel" threads. Even though a plug may not be the best, it`s easy, can be done without dismounting the tire (or wheel), and I can do it myself on the road if need be.

I`ve been pretty lucky not having flats in a long time., also I have a Black Jack kit and air compressor with me on the road.

I`ve also plugged like a zillion tires in my life without any catastrophe. Yes, they may not always hold - but neither do plugs.
    I`m presuming you meant "patches". I knew you would be along to call me or the other guy an idiot. You know, it`s fine if it`s you or me or Shane or Shawn do whatever the frig we want to our own tires. It`s a little different when we start putting wives, girlfriends, children, parents, or people who pay us to put their safety into our hands in that situation.

I remember your thread where you took the 12 yo spare from your Pathfinder and started using it and half the people here (or AGO, wherever) were planning your funeral, and I said it was a bunch of BS you`d be fine. As I said, there`s a difference in the risks you expose yourself to, and what you expose other people to that you are responsible for, in one way or another.

It`s all relative, I could get a plug in my tire and be killed 5 minutes later from someone going through a red light. Maybe a plug is fine (as I`ve said, I`ve known people who swear by them and Swanic is a pretty sensible person), I`m lucky I don`t have to get flats fixed too often and I take them to my tire place and let them patch it and have no problems (except for the one I mentioned, which could be something new stuck in the tire, but I haven`t found it yet).

And at that I think we`ve talked this one to death...which I guess means this thread will go on for another 6 pages.

Post Thanks / Like

Am I Tripping over small stuff here?

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I`m presuming you meant "patches". I knew you would be along to call me or the other guy an idiot. You know, it`s fine if it`s you or me or Shane or Shawn do whatever the frig we want to our own tires. It`s a little different when we start putting wives, girlfriends, children, parents, or people who pay us to put their safety into our hands in that situation.

I remember your thread where you took the 12 yo spare from your Pathfinder and started using it and half the people here (or AGO, wherever) were planning your funeral, and I said it was a bunch of BS you`d be fine. As I said, there`s a difference in the risks you expose yourself to, and what you expose other people to that you are responsible for, in one way or another.

It`s all relative, I could get a plug in my tire and be killed 5 minutes later from someone going through a red light. Maybe a plug is fine (as I`ve said, I`ve known people who swear by them and Swanic is a pretty sensible person), I`m lucky I don`t have to get flats fixed too often and I take them to my tire place and let them patch it and have no problems (except for the one I mentioned, which could be something new stuck in the tire, but I haven`t found it yet).

And at that I think we`ve talked this one to death...which I guess means this thread will go on for another 6 pages.

Setec,

I never called anyone an idiot. I just said what I do and why I do it.

Believe me, if I was up for calling out idiots - you`d prolly be last in line.

BTW, that old tire held up fine until I replaced the set.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I would have been upset at the damage, certainly the damage on the outside that is visible from the exterior. but things happen to us every day of our lives that cause us to get frustrated, upset, etc...and you have pick and choose which ones are true battles, and which ones are simply life happening. the stress you put on yourself as a result of a small mishap is often more damaging than the mishap itself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    Setec,

I never called anyone an idiot. I just said what I do and why I do it.

Believe me, if I was up for calling out idiots - you`d prolly be last in line.

BTW, that old tire held up fine until I replaced the set.
    Sorry, I meant that in the context of the guy driving down the highway and anyone that`s driving slower than him is an "idiot" and anyone driving faster is a "lunatic". I remember that tire lasted for you, and I was driving at the time on an entire set that was 10 years old. And if I didn`t say it, I`ve never (personally) patched or plugged a tire. So those of you that have certainly have the edge over me in hands-on experience. The bottom line is, and this is clouded in this liability-soaked world, everybody has to accept the risk of things as a form of informed consent.
    Likes Swanicyouth liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Let`s not forget about being happy the tire shop didn`t damage your rims with a proper repair. Only to wonder what that big pot hole was....suddenly a tire rolls by.
    He failed to tighten the lug nuts.

Post Thanks / Like

Here`s a pretty balanced view: Should you patch your tire or plug your tire?
    Likes ShaneB liked this post
    Thanks ShaneB thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Good read, and pretty much sums up the direction this thread turned

I`ll add that I`ve personally plugged my own tires twice, on two different cars, one I don`t have anymore and the other is going on about 15k miles since plugging with zero issues. And that`s driving on Michigan roads so it gets abused, a lot.

Patch/plug/replace? Go with whatever you`re comfortable with

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information