Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mr. Clean Magic eraser used with woolite or just plain water will speed things up too. I get the leather slightly wet with whatever it needs, water or woolite, sometimes oil soap, then get the eraser wet and wring most of the water out, rub lightly, remove the residue with a barely wet microfiber.

The wet eraser will take the heel marks off the seat and door panels without taking dye off the leather.

Slightly off topic. White vinyl boat seats can be cleaned by spraying from the bottom up with Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner and rubbing with the Magic Eraser, then mop up the residue with a slightly damp microfiber cloth. I don`t wet vinyl first because I want the cleaner directly on the dirt, not diluted by water. Try it, you`ll think you`re on TV. Still off topic, Scrubbing Bubbles works great on nasty vinyl door panels too. Usually just a damp microfiber will pick up all the oil and dirt and it foams the dirt out of the grain of the vinyl too. Much to harsh for leather, though it can also be used to take a grease spot off carpet.

Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    In tests Magic Erasers remove the finish on the leather which then leaves it in a very vulnerable state. It will attract dirt quicker and be harder to clean. Each time you use a magic eraser it removes a little more of the finish so is doing continual damage.

This damage will not be visible with the naked eye until it is too late and you start removing pigment along with the finish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by judyb
    In tests Magic Erasers remove the finish on the leather which then leaves it in a very vulnerable state. It will attract dirt quicker and be harder to clean. Each time you use a magic eraser it removes a little more of the finish so is doing continual damage.

This damage will not be visible with the naked eye until it is too late and you start removing pigment along with the finish.

My post wasn`t to contradict what other people had written, just to add a tool for when the other methods didn`t work. Most the time, a damp microfiber cloth is more than enough for the cars I do.

There are types of leather dye that are too soft for Magic Erasers. At the same time, using any cleaner on leather carries risk, and there are cars I take care of I wouldn`t touch with anything more than water. Doesn`t anything aggressive enough to really clean have a potential of softening the finish?

I`d be interested in who did the testing. I`ve looked carefully at the white eraser and at the water I wring out for traces of dye and whatever is there is, like you wrote, not visible to the naked eye. Also, there`s no doubt in my mind that if I were to really bear down and scrub I could do real damage, that`s why I keep the pressure light.

When it comes to scuff marks left by shoes, do you know of a cleaner that will both take the scuff off the leather and not soften the finish?

Detailing for me is always a balancing act. I can make just about any car`s paint scratch free if I want to cut to the bottom of the deepest scratches, but I take the long view. I`ll sacrifice a little of the paint in the interest of getting the car looking right but I won`t just cut and cut. I cut the car the first time I see it. If I get the car back before my sealer is gone, then next time I`m not working the paint so hard. The obvious point is to keep the car looking good and on the road not the in a paint shop. The same goes for leather. If I clean and treat it, from then on, I should be cleaning the treatment, not the leather.

I`ll admit interiors aren`t my passion, so I`m looking forward to learning from your response.

All the best,

Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Judy for posting information that was both clear and easy to understand. There is a lot of confliction information in this thread and the information you have posted seems very sincere and I feel like you are truly just trying to educate us, not sell us something. :thx

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, it`s like charity work. That`s why she has her company`s name/insignia as her avatar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Give me a break. I dare anyone to step up if they`ve ever been solicited by judyb. Can`t you take her posts at face value and try learning something? If not, stop hating and put her on ignore.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Never mind just read a couple posts above and withdrew my recommendation.

Post Thanks / Like
    wfedwar,

I think he meant this forum.

Why does Judy receive all of the hate for even mentioning her products? There are a lot of other products on here being promoted, but she seems to be singled out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Z9

Water and a good scrubbing

Megs APC (Interior dilution)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Quality Leather
    wfedwar,

I think he meant this forum.

Why does Judy receive all of the hate for even mentioning her products? There are a lot of other products on here being promoted, but she seems to be singled out.

Octaneguy got banned for it...

Post Thanks / Like
    I understand what you are saying. AVS does a master thread for stuff like that. It allows the manufacturers to discuss their products. This gives manufacturers the chance to give and receive feedback without the need for promotion.

Post Thanks / Like
    so what is generally better for softer leathers (Lexus), leather masters or leatherique?

Post Thanks / Like
    EPIC thread :bump:

Be prepared to be utterly confused, educated & amazed after reading this one!!
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    EPIC thread :bump:

Be prepared to be utterly confused, educated & amazed after reading this one!!

I guess two out of three ain`t bad (shame the missing one is education)

What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread Information