Post Thanks / Like

Review: Chemical Guy`s Speed Wipe

Today`s "Spray Wax" is:

Speed Wipe by Chemical Guys. Recently CGs have came out with a "Vintage" line of products. SW is now relabeled under that line:

As you can see, it`s no longer labeled "Spray Wax and Quick Detailer". It`s now labeled "Spray Gloss and Quick Detailer". CGs freely admits this product contains no wax, but does contains polymer protection (sealant). So, assuming the product has only been relabeled and not reformulated, they are now choosing to emphasis the "quick detailer" aspect of the product. Either way, the lines between "spray wax" and "quick detailer" are getting more and more blurred.

SW comes in 3 sizes directly from CGs: 4oz ($4.99), 16oz ($9.99), and 1 gallon ($29.99). That makes the product pretty cheap in my book, especially if your picking it up by the gallon. I`m guessing the product is most commonly sold in the 16oz size - I have 2 bottles in this configuration. Each bottle comes with your standard clear plastic CG`s spray head. Those sprayer are neither the best nor the worst. They work well enough to get the job done, but are not noteworthy. The clear sprayers don`t atomized the product extremely well, but they don`t dribble or leak either.

CG`s claims the following regarding SW:

Super slick formula
    Fresh cherry scent
    UV protection
    Reduces static cling by 75%
    Enhances shine and protection
    Removes dirt, dust, fingerprints and water spots
    Also available in 16 ounce size and 4 ounce trial size

To me, the product smells like strawberry bubble gum - not cherries. Either way, the smell is pretty nice and not overbearing. As you will see below, the product looks pink and sprays out pink on the surface:

The cool thing about SW is how user friendly and un-streaky it is to use. My experience with it is that it usually just takes a single wipe or "pass" with a towel and it`s gone. You are left with a slick glossy surface.

One wipe (from above):

SW seems to work well with any towel. It won`t matter what you use. Like most spray waxes (liquids), I prefer to use a waffle weave if using on a clean surface. The product is super easy to work with. I find this product is great if you just washed your car a day or so ago and want to remove a days worth of road dust/dirt from the surface. It flashes off a bit faster than a waterless wash, so it`s a bit quicker to use - but not too fast. "Speed Wipe" is actually a very good name for this product. Spray it on the panel, wipe - it`s gone. It handles light dirt and dust no problem.

It also seems quit slick to me. When you are using it, the slickness is pretty confidence inspiring. You just feel like your not scratching your paint. I`m guessing that is where CG`s comes up with the "reduces static cling" claim from. I`m not a big believer that any product actually repels dust from your car. I`m also not a big believer that SW gives much UV protection, as the manufacturer claims it does.

This product does not haze or streak for me, period. It works pretty well in the sun. It also works well on plastic, chrome, and glass. Here is a picture of a window I just cleaned with SW:

I`m able to get perfect glass with this product when using it on lightly soiled glass. One or two wipes and the window is clear and the glass feels slick. I can`t really find any fault with this product, and plan on picking it up by the gallon when I run out.

So, the question some may be wondering is how does it compare to V7, CG`s poster child for "spray waxes"? Well, honestly, I like it better than V7. Why? Well, it seems to clean better than V7. It also seems a bit slicker than V7 and seems to spread a bit farther than V7. V7 flashes off very fast, maybe a bit too fast. Both are pretty good. SW doesn`t seem to affect beading negatively like V7 can do. While SW isn`t a terrific beader, it doesn`t seem to mute beads either. Longevity is anyone`s guess, as I this stuff doesn`t seem to affect beading properties much if at all. To me, that`s a big deal.

Not like I think it shows anything, but here are some pictures after I used SW as a waterless wash after 2 days of light road dust.

Then next day I drizzled lightly, beading still tight:

So, I always like to post the MSDS when I do this. I emailed CGs to get the MSDS. I got an email response stating my invoice number was needed to provide me with the MSDS. I emailed them back telling them I bought it at Auto Geek with an image of AGs invoice.

I haven`t received a response yet. So, if I get the MSDS I will post it. I`m not sure why some places want to keep this secret. It just doesn`t make sense. You can`t duplicate the product from the MSDS and it`s designed to give the user safety information. What`s the point if its difficult (or in some cases impossible) for the user to get?

Then some places will say "the MSDS is for professionals only". I know shops are legally required to have them, but an accidental poisoning or consuming of the product by a child is more likely to happen at home. One would think a "professional" would be taking appropriate safety precautions to begin with, since he is working in his area of expertise and with types of products he is familiar with. That`s my take on that.

So, to recap:

- SW is great
    - SW is cheap
    - SW doesn`t streak or haze on paint, glass, or trim
    - SW works well as a light waterless wash.
    - SW is slick
    - SW doesn`t affect or boosts beading
    - SW is better than V7 IMHO

Thanks for reading. Opinions welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Chemical Guy`s Speed Wipe

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    - SW is better than V7 IMHO
    Thems is fightin` words right there! lol

Glad to see a review on this and great job. I was going to order some anyways but instead of just trying out the 16oz maybe I will order the gallon instead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Speed Wipe is a great QD. I have been using it for years and you really can`t beat it for the money. Im glad I picked up a gallon.

Great review !!!
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    Speed Wipe is a great QD. I have been using it for years and you really can`t beat it for the money. Im glad I picked up a gallon.

Great review !!!
    Do you have V7? What do you think?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Chemical Guy`s Speed Wipe

Thanks for the review. I like speed wipe. It is a favorite on jambs.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    I haven`t received a response yet. So, if I get the MSDS I will post it. I`m not sure why some places want to keep this secret. It just doesn`t make sense. You can`t duplicate the product from the MSDS and it`s designed to give the user safety information. What`s the point if its difficult (or in some cases impossible) for the user to get?
    I think it should legally required if someone requests it (not the professionals rationale) and suspect with a lawyer you could get it. However, I know why companies do not.

There is ample supply of budding chemists that will try micro-analyze every ingredient and make all sorts of uninformed comments (you see this at another forum) by the forum experts. Some may be true but a lot is not.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like
    No MSDS yet. I guess they may be ignoring me. They got back within an hour with my initial request to get it asking for an invoice. Now its 24 hours later, I sent them a picture of my AG invoice and no response. Don`t know why, but it really pisses me off.

Thread Information