Review: Wolfgang Uber Wheel Cleaner

Introduction:

I was another of the lucky members to receive some of the new Wolfgang products to try/review. I had not intentionally tried to be the "final word" with my review but weather and work got in the way.

I seem to collect wheel cleaners. Unlike WOWAs & rinseless washes, it is more because I`ve never really fallen in love with any of them. An unofficial count, I have 2 from CG, Sonax, Griot`s Garage HD, Wolf`s, EcoTouch, Amazing Roll-off and several other I have not even tried. For horrible wheels, PBW Spray & Rinse works exceedingly well but, because it works so well, I am reluctant to use frequently or on really expensive wheels - in spite of Pockets` assurances otherwise. (Now, if I daily drove a BMW, I might change my mind.)

Why am I hard to please? I get some really grungy wheels to work on.

Thanks again to Corey for providing the format and to Stig & PBMG for providing the samples.

Product

Product Claims:

From Autopia Car Care site - Wolfgang Uber Wheel Cleaner

"Removes the most difficult brake dust from the most delicate surfaces!

Acid free and pH neutral is safe on all wheel finishes
Powerful cleaning agents change color as they melt brake dust away
Cleans most wheels without scrubbing

There are few pleasures in life as rewarding as piloting down a twisty road in an advanced German sports sedan, feeling the power of the brakes as they haul you down from Autobahn speeds. There are few tasks as daunting as cleaning the accumulated brake dust off the wheels when you are done. Wolfgang Über Wheel Cleaner is engineered clean the toughest brake dust from the most delicate wheel finishes quickly and easily. Wolfgang Über Wheel Cleaner changes color as it attacks brake dust so you can actually see it working.

Wolfgang Über Wheel Cleaner is non-acid and pH neutral. It will clean stubborn brake dust from the most delicate polished aluminum, painted, powdered coated, and anodized wheel surfaces. Powerful cleaning agents change color as they dissolve iron and metallic brake dust. Wolfgang Über Wheel Cleaner requires little to no agitation, even on neglected wheels!

Wolfgang Über Wheel Cleaner will remove the most stubborn brake dust from even the most delicate wheel finishes. It was designed to combat the heavy brake dust load of European sports cars, so it is perfectly capable of cleaning the wheels of any automobile. The powerful cleaning action prevails against the most severely neglected wheels"

Details:

1.- Packaging: Plastic Bottle with Trigger Sprayer
2.- Directions: Clearly labelled
3.- Viscosity: About the same as water
4.- Color: Clear
5.- Scent: Sulfury
6.- Price at time of review: 16oz = $ 19.99
7.- Manufacturer: Wolfgang
8.- Made in: USA

Other Products Used:

5 gallon Bucket
Wheel Woolies
Daytona Speed Master Jr. (broken)
Grout Sponge
(OPC & Tuf Shine brush for tires)

Test Cars:

2011 Flamenco Red Metallic Volvo C70 T5
2007 Jet Black BMW 328i

Preparation:

Other than put in driveway and straightening the wheels, nothing.

Application:

I made a video. Easier than explaining. Not sure how well it shows, but these were pretty bad. The rear brakes dust badly and there was at least a month of build up (& several rains).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z6JAuC3Mhw

Observations:

As seen on the video, after a short dwell (and a pretty color change), the brake dust and crud came off easily from the Volvo wheels with only light agitation - of both me and the wheel.

As for the BMW, the wheels had likely not been cleaned for years. Wolfgang Uber did not get the wheels perfectly clean on the first attempt (neither did PBW Spray & Rinse or CG Sticky Gel Citrus Wheel Cleaner or probably any other "safe" wheel cleaner) but did a quite admirable job on these really bad wheels.

Before

During

After

Does it meet its claims? Pretty much.

Pros:
1.- Cleans well
2.- Works on dirty wheels with only light agitation. Really dirty wheels require much agitation.

Cons:
1.- A little pricey.

Final Observations and Summary:

Wolfgang Uber Wheel is an excellent wheel cleaner. I really liked how easy it made cleaning some pretty dirty wheels. I did not personally measure the pH but will take PBMG`s word for it. So, will I use it going forward? I had a car with expensive wheels and brakes that dusted badly, yes, I would. I don`t have either but will still use it.

Comments and questions are encouraged. Thanks for viewing!j