Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Gtechniq Glass Repellent Throwdown! G1 ClearVision Smart Glass vs G5 Water Repellent Coating

Gtechniq, the masters of Smart Surface Science, offer two glass protectant products that promise exceptional water repellency. This is a quick review, testing G1 vs. G5. It`s a heavweigh battle!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afr-mCWRcfE]Gtechniq G1 ClearVision Smart Glass Vs G5 Water Repellent Coating - YouTube[/ame]

In the red corner: G1 SmartVision Clear Glass- This long distance fighter has the ability to go strong for twelve rounds. G1 forms a chemical bond to the glass which lasts up to 24 months, but the application can be a little more involved (particuarly the removal of the product from the glass).

In the blue corner: G5 Water Repellent Coating - If you prefer a fighter that is smooth and slick, floats like a butterfly, and repels waters like a Lotus Plant, then G5 is who you should place your money on. G5 comes out of the gate like a banshee hell-bent on sheeting water like Manny Pacquiao slapping a speed bag. G5 provides more intense water beading but only has the gas to go three rounds.

And the winner is.....: The Glass! You really cannot go wrong with either G1 or G5; both products are exceptional performers. If you desire easier application and removal (think RainX easy) then G5 Water Repellent Coating is your guy! While it "only" will last six months, which is longer than just about anything else (accept G1) it creates intense water beading that begins to evacuate water as low as 25 mph.

On the flip side, if you don`t mind the more difficult removal of G1 ClearVision Smart Glass (think of Angelo Dundee having to tame Muhammed Ali in the gym) then your choice is easy. G1 provides near the water beading levels of G5, but will maintain that level for up to 24 months or 30k miles.

If you desire the best of both worlds (Sugar Ray Robinson in his prime) you can apply G5 Water Repellent Coating over G1 ClearVision Smart Glass. The choice is yours, and perhaps even better, you simply cannot go wrong.

Winners Are Made In The Gym: While the fight against rain gives both of these stars a chance to show case their skills, remember that it is the training camp or prep work where the winner is determined. For best results clean your glass thoroughly and polish with Gtechniq G4 Glass Nano Polish.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gtechniq Glass Repellent Throwdown! G1 ClearVision Smart Glass vs G5 Water Repellent Coating

My G5 should arrive tomorrow (big surprise). Will be applying on top of C1.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gtechniq Glass Repellent Throwdown! G1 ClearVision Smart Glass vs G5 Water Repellent Coating

Quote Originally Posted by mjlinane View Post
    My G5 should arrive tomorrow (big surprise). Will be applying on top of C1.
    Can`t wait to see what you think Mike.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw G5 the other day and I was thinking of trying it out. I have a bottle of G1 that I ordered but I was sick the week I got it and it rained all last week. I`m hoping I can use it this week. I might give G5 a try on my truck.

Post Thanks / Like

i still think for the price, glass science has some really decent products with a very slick finish (Rain Clear Windshield Repellant Gel). gtechniq definitely has the longevity edge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tropicsteve View Post
    i still think for the price, glass science has some really decent products with a very slick finish (Rain Clear Windshield Repellant Gel). gtechniq definitely has the longevity edge.
    I have a tube of the Glass Science Gel. For some reason I just can`t get my hands around this product. Every time I use it is smears and becomes a big mess..
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    I have a tube of the Glass Science Gel. For some reason I just can`t get my hands around this product. Every time I use it is smears and becomes a big mess..
    i hear that, i`ve found it works best on a polished windshield and have had that problem when i applied it over a windshield coated with something else i wasn`t aware of.

Post Thanks / Like

Isn`t G techniq EXO another choice for use on glass?
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Todd-can I just direct deposit my paycheck over there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    Todd-can I just direct deposit my paycheck over there?
    I was wondering if I could start a tab that I paid off at the end of each month.

Post Thanks / Like

Will the use of glass cleaners like Meguiars Perfect Clarity compromise the durability of these coatings?

GTO_04
    2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392 Granite Crystal
    2006 GTO Impulse Blue/blue interior

Post Thanks / Like

I tried G5 for the first time today. Applied thin, as I tried to remove it I had a ton of streaking. Looks like oil on my windshield. I thought OK, maybe it needs to dry, left it sit 20 mins and I was still like I was just wiping the oil around.

Any experience with this? Am I doing something wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

G1 is a fabulous product. It`s super easy to apply and after some initial clean up you`re left with crystal clear glass. Since it was raining on Friday I went for a drive and intentionally didn`t use my wipers.... that`s how effective G1 is at shedding water....

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by classofshine View Post
    I tried G5 for the first time today. Applied thin, as I tried to remove it I had a ton of streaking. Looks like oil on my windshield. I thought OK, maybe it needs to dry, left it sit 20 mins and I was still like I was just wiping the oil around.

Sounds like you had some kind of residue on your glass. Did you do an IPA wipe down before applying G5?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by classofshine View Post

G1 leaves a lot of streaking behind and this could be intentional in order for the user to ensure that he`s obtained complete coverage.

G2, which smells an awful lot like Isopropyl Alcohol, is used to remove the streaks. After applying G2 use a cotton cloth to buff clean...

BobbyG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information