Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

CG New Look Trim Gel

Review: Chemical Guys New Look Trim Gel

Introduction:

I`ve mentioned in my Silk and VRP reviews that I wasn`t satisfied with their durability on hard plastic exterior trim. Saw CG`s video NLTG and threw it in my shopping cart.

Thanks to Corey again for providing the format.

Product Claims:

From Autopia Car Care site -

"Chemical Guys Extended Life New Look Trim Gel

Restores like-new appearance to exterior trim.
    Does not attract dirt or dust.
    Dries to the touch.

Gel Super-Life, Long-Lasting Tire and Trim Dressing is developed to protect trim and tires from the elements. This long-life protectant and restorer maximizes depth and protection while delivering a water-repellent wet glossy finish.

The unique formulation of Chemical Guys Gel delivers a thick rich trim and rubber dressing that lasts. Trim and Tires stay dark, supple, and hydrated.

The unique formulation of Chemical Guys Gel delivers a thick rich trim and rubber dressing that lasts. Trim and Tires stay dark, supple, and hydrated.

Prepare your trim for a product unlike any other. A true premium trim restorer and protectant, that will no drip, dry or destroy surfaces. Finally a gel that delivers unmatched durability easy of application and a superior new look shine that lasts weeks even through numerous washes, gel is non greasy non tacky and simply amazing.

Amazing deep, dark new look for all trim.
    Protects, restores and prolongs the life of all trip, window moldings , hard plastic bumpers, dashboards, interior vinyl rubber and tires.
    Brings back darkness and fullness.
    Great for exterior rubber, and door seals.
    Protects against discoloration and cracking.
    Keeps your car looking shining and smelling like new.

Tech notes: Proper application of gel is important to maximize the effectiveness of this product. The viscosity of gel allows it to be applied neatly and evenly, it is uniquely formulated to penetrate trim and tire walls, and prevents messy sling-off.

For best results: Always start by applying one thin, even layer, remember with gel less is more so use it sparingly. Swiped over the surface. A single wipe will deliver a like new premium shine. If a eye popping heavier, shine is what you are looking for, wait ten minutes and reapply."

Chemical Guys Extended Life New Look Trim Gel

Details:

1.- Packaging: Plastic Bottle with cap nozzle
    2.- Directions: Clearly labeled
    3.- Viscosity: Very thick and oily
    4.- Color: Clear
    5.- Scent: Virtually none (based on some of the comments I`ve received on the other reviews, take with large grain of salt)
    6.- Price at time of review: 16oz = $ 18.99
    7.- Manufacturer: Chemical Guys
    9.- Made in: California

Product

Other Products Used:

CG Nonsense
    Toothbrush
    MF
    Cosmetic foam pad

Preparation:

Normally I say here that my car didn`t need to be pre-cleaned. Here, it needed it. This was on my 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT and, even though it has been well cared for, time and Texas sun has taken its toll. IME whenever using a product like this, a thorough cleaning with an APC is needed to maximum results.

Application:

Squirt a single drop on applicator and rub into plastic - trying to force into its pores (not like spreading butter). Wait 10 min and apply second coat. Wait 10 more min and wipe excess with MF.

Have not tried on tires.

Observations:

CG NLTG nicely darkens the plastic and leaves a glossy finish. It really does look like new plastic. Is dry-to-the touch. Lasted on my "mudflap" trim more than 2 months before I stripped it during my Carpro fun last month. A little goes a really long way. Doing my wiper cowl and "mudflaps", I used maybe 10 drops (2 coats) and would have used less if I weren`t doing in for the review.

Cleaned with Nonsense

50/50 Tape

1st Coat

2nd Coat

50/50

50/50 Flash

Does it meet its claims: yes.

Comparisons:

The closest direct competitor that I`ve used is Black Wow. They apply similarly and have similar initial results but Black Wow seems to go splotchy quickly and has much less durability.

I was asked about UTTG but, alas, I have not used that product - yet.

Pros:

1.- Delivers new looking black plastic trim even from old, faded.
    2.- Protects.
    3.- Cost effective - 1 16oz bottle will do 100s and 100s of cars.
    4.- Dries to the touch.
    5.- Easy to use.
    6.- Best durability I`ve found thus far.

???:

1.- Ultimate durability. I`ve got 10 weeks (several washes with pressure washer). CG claims 9 months(!).
    2.- Never thought to try on tires.

Cons:

1.- A bit glossy.
    2.- The 2 10 min soaks means application takes a while.

Final Observations and Summary:

While I haven`t tried all of the competitors, I am quite satisfied with the results I get. Great looks and excellent durability. I will no doubt try UTTG one day but am not rushing to find an alternative to CG NLTG.

Comments and questions are encouraged. Thanks for viewing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that is pretty impressive! The flash picture really shows off the product. Only using drops at a time it would take forever to use 16 ounces. Thanks for another great review!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: CG New Look Trim Gel

You continue to impress with your product reviews. The format and layouts are similar but that`s a good thing as they`re easy to follow and understand.

I enjoy the level of detail and even through they contain a lot of information it`s an easy read and easy to absorb.

Chemical Guys Trim Gel appears to be quite a product and I`ll definitely need to give this a try.

Ultima Trim & Tire Guard is one of may favorites although it can be a little challenging to cover the tires sidewall evenly. In most cases I use two coats of Ultima Trim & Tire Guard and this seems to really make quite a difference in both appearance and longevity.

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for a great review.

Looks like a very promising product!
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like

Could UTTG have a competitor? That would be impressive if it really lasts as long. The only downside to UTTG is that is dosent "restore" faded plastics very well. It darkens it but not to the degree that a lot of the water based dressing do. However these only last through the next wash for me.

Ive added this to my must try list.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by classofshine View Post
    It darkens it but not to the degree that a lot of the water based dressing do.
    NLTG is not water-based. It is how CG gets the durability, or so they claim.

Post Thanks / Like

Chemical Guys claims seem to right inline with Ultima in longevity but CG have been known to stretch it a bit. But in any case the CG product is half the price of UTTG and you also get 4 more oz`s.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for another great review.

I`m not sure if I`d like the glossy effect. Does this product dry evenly?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CT3 View Post
    I`m not sure if I`d like the glossy effect. Does this product dry evenly?
    Yes. By the time of the MF wipe, it is dry to the touch and the look does not change.

Post Thanks / Like

Quite the difference. Another nice write up on the CG products, thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Great write up! The product looks like it gives a very nice look to the trim. I look forward to seeing the overall durability!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review. From old to new. It looks like some good stuff. Is that the door you put it on?

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how it`s going to act when it`s rained on. I have a F150 with plastic trim on the bed rails and have used trim dressing on them to only wish I hadn`t after a rain.

Post Thanks / Like

Rain - what is that? Has survived multiple pressure washes without much change. Dawn/APC mix did a number on it, though.

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting. I have and use PB Trim Restorer. The look is good but the Durability is lacking. I just picked up UTTG based on the overwhelmingly good reviews and suggestions by so many people.

I would love to see a 50/50 of CG New Look Trim Gel / UTTG to test durability.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information