Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: CG Hose Free Eco Wash

Review: Chemical Guys Hose Free Eco Wash

Introduction:

CG HFEW was my first rinseless wash followed shortly after with ORN and DP RW&G. Not to spoil the review, I`ll save the conclusion for later. Thanks to Corey again for providing the format. Unlike one of my reviews on AGO, this one will be a (more) serious attempt.

Product Claims:

From Autopia Car Care site -

"Chemical Guys Hose Free Eco Wash

Wash your car without a hose!
    Enhances gloss and slickness.
    Paint safe.

Imagine being able to wash your entire auto without a hose! Chemical Guys Hose Free ECOwash delivers a super high shine without the hose! Utilizing a high-shine polymer rich formula Chemical Guys Hose-Free ECOwash delivers the slickest lubricity and mirror wet high shine finish.

Wash, shine, protect and prolong without the need for a mess or a hose.

Don`t have access to a hose? To cold where you live to wash your auto outside?

You can wash your entire auto delivering a super high shine in half the time with HOSE FREE ECOwash. This unique car wash formula allows you to properly wash your vehicle without the need to rinse the vehicle down with a hose. Just pour one ounce per gallon of water in your bucket and you have a paint safe and hose free washing solution. Wash your vehicle like normal and then proceed right to drying. The extremely slick formula helps you wash with ease and contaminants simply glide off the paint. This formula also has gloss enhancing additives and polymers which make the paint look amazing after the wash as well.

This is perfect for mobile detailers or anyone who likes to detail while traveling. Some apartment complexes do not provide hose access, so you can still wash your car with this formula. Too much direct sun and high temperatures can make your vehicle prone to water mark etchings while washing. Water marks look terrible and can be very tough to remove so it`s important to be careful while washing. If you normally wash in direct sun and high temperatures you can now wash the vehicle inside your garage without the fear of water marks. If you live in area with freezing cold temperatures this formula allows you to wash inside or outside without the hose. The versatility of this formula is outstanding and makes it a must have for virtually any detailer."

Details:

1.- Packaging: Plastic Bottle
    2.- Directions: Clearly labeled
    3.- Viscosity: About the same as water
    4.- Color: Brownish-red
    5.- Scent: I`m bad at this but think "bubblegum" - close to DP RW&G
    6.- Price at time of review: 16oz = $ 16.99
    7.- Manufacturer: Chemical Guys
    9.- Made in: California

Product

Other Products Used:

Pump sprayer
    2x Buckets with Grit Guards
    Bone
    MFs
    Optional Drying Aide (CG P40-Detailer is one I frequently use).

Preparation:

Instructions call for 1oz to 2-3 gallons of water (I use 3 gallons - generally warm - in the wash bucket). I also mix the same ratio and put in a pump sprayer. I also put about 2 gallons of water in the rinse bucket.

Application:

Starting with the horizontal surfaces (roof, hood and trunk), I select the area to be cleaned. The size is determined by how dirty the paint is and the outside temp. This time of year on my cars, I can generally do an entire body panel. In the summer, maybe half that. (Note - if the car is exceptionally dirt, pressure washer rinse is recommended.) I pre-treat the area to be cleaned with a liberal amount of CG HFEW from the pump sprayer. Dunk the Bone in the wash bucket, pull out, wring until only slightly dripping and lightly glide across the painted surface in one direction. Then into the rinse bucket until clean and return to the wash bucket. I use multiple 16"x16" MFs to dry - first is medium nap (again one driection only). Then I will apply my drying aide and follow with a short nap MF. Then repeat through the remaining surfaces. Not to sound like "The Most Interesting Man in the World", but I don`t always clean my wheels when I rinseless, but when I do, I do them last - with the leftover solution. (No hating, please - I have been known to wash my car 3 or more times per week and they don`t always need it.)

This is how I do all my rinseless washes.

Observations:

First observation is easy - it suds a lot. By the end of a wash session, it looks like I used a regular auto shampoo in both buckets. I wipe the foam off of the Bone before applying to paint. I use two different color Grit Guards in my wash & rinse buckets so I don`t have to look hard. The suds defeat this strategy. I`ve since marked the rinse bucket and, only day, will replace the bucket with different color one. If you do the 0.5oz per gallon dillution, the suds can get a bit unmanageable. Note - I have softened water so this is exacerbated.

CG HFEW cleans very well. Only when I overrun my Bone-work do I see any dirt on medium nap MF. One property I especially like is it releases virtually all of the dirt/stain from the MF in the rinse bucket. On wheels, it can take off 2 weeks of BMW brake easily with no wheel cleaner or APC. On MB wheels with 2 months of build up succumbed to a light spray of OPC and rinse of CG HFEW.

It flashes rather quickly and leaves a glossy finish - especially when used with P40-Detailer.

Does it meet its claims, absolutely.

Comparisons:

Comparing with ONR and DP RW&G, all three are fine products and will continue use them - but they are slightly different. ONR is probably the best smelling but that is personal preferrence and none is bad smelling. They all clean well but (I think) CG HFEW cleans slightly better. They all leave a nice finish, but DP RW&G narrowly betters the other two.

The biggest difference is in the staining of the Bone MF covering. Using ONR or DP RW&G, the Bone will finsh black - even with vigorous scrubbing in both buckets on the Grit Guards. This is apparently harmless to paint as I`ve noted no marring resulting from it but always causes me to worry. (Note - Dawn Direct foam and a trip through the washer with a good MF detergent returns them to like new condition.) With CG HFEW, the Bone remains clean looking with light aggitation against the GG.

I have gallons of each and CG HFEW is the most cost-effective is CG HFEW. Lower cost and dillution ratio yield ~$0.22/wash (cf $0.46/wash for ONR and DP RW&G).

CG does not advertise the alternate uses like ONR or DP RW&G such as clay lube, QD, water softener, etc. and I have not tried it in those ways.

Pros:

1.- Cleans very well
    2.- Leaves no staining on MF
    3.- Very cost effective
    4.- Pleasant smell.

Cons:

1.- I don`t like the suds.
    2.- Not advertised to be as versatile as ONR or DP RW&G.

Final Observations and Summary:

This is the rinseless I pull when I`m washing MY cars. As noted earlier, I still like ONR and DP RW&G and will continue to use them, but being able to apply a clean looking Bone to my paint just provides me that little additional peace of mind when washing my car.

Comments and questions are encouraged. Thanks for viewing!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: CG Hose Free Eco Wash

Thanks for the write-up. I have been interested in trying this for a while. I`ve got the Ecosmart waterless from CG already and wondering how much difference there was between the two. Was the finish shine simular to a QD shine or just a freshly washed car needing a LSP ?

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely an excelant review. I have wondered about this wash before. I also wonder how it compares Ultima WWP?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
    Thanks for the write-up. I have been interested in trying this for a while. I`ve got the Ecosmart waterless from CG already and wondering how much difference there was between the two. Was the finish shine simular to a QD shine or just a freshly washed car needing a LSP ?
    Ecosmart is one of the CG products I not yet tried but want to. On its own, I`d say is more like a freshly applied LSP but maybe not to the glossiest QD levels. With P40, seems to enhance the gloss beyond what I normally get out of either. More of a sealant gloss than a wax look.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post
    Absolutely an excelant review. I have wondered about this wash before. I also wonder how it compares Ultima WWP?
    Thanks Troy.

I`ve only used UWW+ as a waterless. The finished look is about the same, though. UWW+ is my product of choice in the waterless realm but, when I think is too dirty for that, I like CG HFEW.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the fact that the dirt from your bone washes off rather simple. I noticed the same thing w ONR that the dirt does not come off as easy. I just use the hose and spray it off. I will give this a try someday

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent and detailed review!! Thanks for that.

I`m still very hesitant about using rinseless washing...

I agree with you about the staining of the wash media. Even if there are no grits, I still feel unsafe using it. I found a way to remove the staining, but it still doesn`t remove it completely. Find a very strong pressure faucet and just blast it with water. It usually removes the staining provided that you do it right after it got stained. If you have a pressure washer, you can try that too provided you can hold it in place.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Excellent and detailed review!! Thanks for that.

I`m still very hesitant about using rinseless washing...

I agree with you about the staining of the wash media. Even if there are no grits, I still feel unsafe using it. I found a way to remove the staining, but it still doesn`t remove it completely. Find a very strong pressure faucet and just blast it with water. It usually removes the staining provided that you do it right after it got stained. If you have a pressure washer, you can try that too provided you can hold it in place.
    I was initially quite concerned, too, but am sold now. Even when I can use water, I still lean toward rinseless (and sometimes waterless) washing, if appropriate. And for winter washing, it beats being out in the cold hands down.

I`ve used it multiple times a week since late summer due to water restrictions and had little, if any, marring result. Now, I did wash that often partly because I wanted to have only moderate dust & dirt on the car (the other part is I like a shiny car) and I have extremely hard paint. If I had soft paint, I think I would only use CG HFEW because of its coming off the MF properties - and still I`d probably use multiple wash media.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review, sounds interesting about the suds.
    I also hate that your wash media gets failry dirty with ONR or DP, first time I was thinking OMFG what am I doing!
    Ill have to pick this up.

Maybe mix .5 oz with .5 oz ONR or DP, less suds but may help release the dirt in the media?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review. I really want to try some of the chemicals guys stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjlinane View Post
    I was initially quite concerned, too, but am sold now. Even when I can use water, I still lean toward rinseless (and sometimes waterless) washing, if appropriate. And for winter washing, it beats being out in the cold hands down.

I`ve used it multiple times a week since late summer due to water restrictions and had little, if any, marring result. Now, I did wash that often partly because I wanted to have only moderate dust & dirt on the car (the other part is I like a shiny car) and I have extremely hard paint. If I had soft paint, I think I would only use CG HFEW because of its coming off the MF properties - and still I`d probably use multiple wash media.
    Thanks for your feedback.

Part of my new year`s resolution is to use rinseless wash more often. I still shy away in doing this method because I`m afraid that I`ll marr the paint. I also want to try a waterless wash product at least once...

Post Thanks / Like

Very good job. The sudsing was an interesting factor. Also the wash media cleaning in the solution is another great observation. Thanks for the comparison against the other two products.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post
    Troy,

It does look like an excellent product and I was wondering the same thing. I`ve been very pleased with the Ultima lineup but after reading such an excellent writeup I have to try this product....

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    I also want to try a waterless wash product at least once...
    I`d recommend UWW+ to try as a waterless. Works extremely well and is quite cost effective, too.

Note - I only do waterless up to when the car moderately dusty and use 660 GSM MFs for the initial wipe. If it has rained on the car, then it gets a rinseless. I am intrigued with CG`s EcoSmart system (especially through their Eco Detailing Pod) on dirtier cars but am unwilling to try on my vehicles. If I won`t do it on mine, I don`t feel good about doing it to a customer`s.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Troy,

It does look like an excellent product and I was wondering the same thing. I`ve been very pleased with the Ultima lineup but after reading such an excellent writeup I have to try this product....

Bobby, every time I read these reviews I seem to find more products I "need" or want to try. I really want to try and consolidate what I have and use but there is always some much stuff to try.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information