Post Thanks / Like

Ways of not making a splatter...

Just recently I purchased a rotary polisher in hope of doing a better job on my clients cars. I stopped using it when I realized that with all the splatter and gumming up of the polish it was not worth my time. I do around 5 cars a day, and time is of the essence. I can`t tape the cars, because the price that I am charging and the time involved is just not worth it. Is there any way I can avoid splattering? I was thinking about using a paste wax instead of using a liquid wax for this problem. Has anyone had any success doing this? I was talking with a detailer in the area and he was telling me that a DA polisher will not splatter, but I have never heard of this being the case. What do you guys think? Should I start using a paste wax on a rotary? Or sell my rotary and buy a DA? Maybe use a paste wax on a DA? Help!
    Get your shine on!

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve never applied wax with a rotary.
    Nor paste with a da always by hand.
    Now liquid wax on a low speed 2 to 3 with a pc works fine. Just prime the pad first with your finger and the wax. After that a few drops placed in a cross will go a long way.
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ways of not making a splatter...

Splatter happens. But if it is gumming up on you too fast you may be using too much.

Aside from that, if you are getting 5 cars/day and staying busy, you may want to raise your prices. A rotary will increase speed for correction, but not finishing. There are plenty of "detailers" out there who can wash and wax several cars in a day. But there are also a lot of people out there willing to pay top $ for quality work. I have found my cost in materials is considerably less, I don`t often lose customers to competition because there aren`t many who offer the same quality, I have a waiting list of customers and my profit margin is higher. I did lose customers when I made that transition, but for every 3-4 I lost at the low price I gained 1 or more at the higher price and the ball rolled much quicker as there was a visible difference in the quality of work being performed by others in the area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dwgcmc View Post
    Splatter happens. But if it is gumming up on you too fast you may be using too much.

Aside from that, if you are getting 5 cars/day and staying busy, you may want to raise your prices. A rotary will increase speed for correction, but not finishing. There are plenty of "detailers" out there who can wash and wax several cars in a day. But there are also a lot of people out there willing to pay top $ for quality work. I have found my cost in materials is considerably less, I don`t often lose customers to competition because there aren`t many who offer the same quality, I have a waiting list of customers and my profit margin is higher. I did lose customers when I made that transition, but for every 3-4 I lost at the low price I gained 1 or more at the higher price and the ball rolled much quicker as there was a visible difference in the quality of work being performed by others in the area.
    He has a very valid and good point.
    It is true here also.
    Concours.John Facebook

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel I get more splatter when using the rotary, so I tape and or lay out towels (ie. the cowl area) to mitigate the issue. As noted above the rotary, once mastered, will definitetly help save time on correction though I wouldn`t (and don`t) have a rotary as my sole tool. Because the condition of the bulk of the vehicles I see are relatively clean, I reach for my PC far more often.

I have not made it a habit of applying waxes or sealants via machine, but I have recently considered that approach just to see if makes sense for me. In the past I`ve figured that the clean up would negate any time savings in the application process, and that still might be true.
    "If you get to thinkin` you`re a person of some influence, try orderin` somebody else`s dog around."
    --Will Rogers

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Practice make perfect, always remember that. Keep at it and also have a PC on hand. A good detailer never works with only one machine to do everything. Remember the new products that came out ( Meg`s M105, M205, the DA correction system and the LC Hydro pads ) you can do more now then ever before.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

John and DWGMC, you are right, but I have took over my old company`s clients, and all they expect right now is a quick wash, vacuum and wipe down. The only reason I have took over them is because of my work, and I am gradually going to raise prices, and gradually get better quality. Right now, I just can`t all of the sudden start charging people over 500 for a pristine paint correction job, they`d think I`m nuts. That`s why I`m looking into mixing the boundries of quality and quantity so I can show people how good their car can look and they can still get what they want, and in the future, make more profit.

P.S. When you guys say PC are you saying Porta Cable?
    Get your shine on!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Addicted2Bling View Post
    John and DWGMC, you are right, but I have took over my old company`s clients, and all they expect right now is a quick wash, vacuum and wipe down. The only reason I have took over them is because of my work, and I am gradually going to raise prices, and gradually get better quality. Right now, I just can`t all of the sudden start charging people over 500 for a pristine paint correction job, they`d think I`m nuts. That`s why I`m looking into mixing the boundries of quality and quantity so I can show people how good their car can look and they can still get what they want, and in the future, make more profit.

Yes PC 7424xp to be exact. If you haven`t tried the Megs micro fiber correction system you may want to watch the video on their site. Two polishes two pads that`s it.

On another note, you may see some
    of the exotic vehicles I post. I recently opened my doors to outside public doing drivers. I understand what you are dealing with. Its where we all start.
    Concours.John Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Addicted2Bling View Post

I just picked up a rotary as well, but the PCDA is on the list once I start to establish a client base. I did have splatter on my first vehicle, but it was my friends and I offered a free detail in order to test the new equip. By the time I finished compounding, I had pretty much worked the bugs out. I was using too much chemical, so I cut it back and worked in smaller sections. I have to admit, with a rotary and some simple OTC products, I was able to do a pretty dramatic correction on my first attempt. Great DOI, and she is already getting compliments on the shine.

Just remember that you can always add higher end services to your menu. Since I am just starting my own shop, this is one area that is not defined as of yet. The places I have worked for in the past dealt with stepped detail packages only, nothing really unique to every car. Whereas I have the standard "wax & wax" offerings, I am also going to do vehicles on a case by case basis to create custom tailored packages for the customers that are willing to pony up the greenbacks. I have a very diverse demographic, and one thing I do not want to end up doing is locking out potential clients just because of a price schedule or quality limitations.

Thread Information