Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Product Review: CQuartz Ceramic Quartz Paint Protection

Product Review: CQuartz Ceramic Quartz Paint Protection

Manufacturers Description:
    CQuartz by CarPro is an anti-static, weather-resistant nano coating that shines and protects your vehicle like nothing else! CQuartz works on the molecular level to transform the surface. Once treated with CQuartz, your vehicle will repel water and contaminants, and it will maintain a clear, reflective, hard-as-nails shine. One application can last two years!
    If you`re tired of frequent waxing, listen to this: CQuartz Ceramic Quartz Paint Protection creates an ultra durable surface that minimizes paint maintenance for up to two years. A CQuartz-treated vehicle stay cleaner longer, require less frequent polishing, and require no additional paint protection!

CQuartz provides:
    Ultra hard coating. CQuartz contains ceramic nano particles, which create an extremely hard finish that is scratch-resistant and durable. The average thickness of CQuartz layer is between 0.7 ΅m ~1.5 ΅m.
    Weather-resistance. CQuartz provides durable protection against rain, sun, salt, and anything else Mother Nature throws at it. The anti-corrosive coating holds up in all weather conditions.
    High gloss shine. CQuartz contains nano fiber glass, resulting in a deep, reflective shine.
    Water and oil proof finish. CQuartz provides incomparably strong water and oil repellency. This hydrophobic effect prevents water spots and oily stains from attaching to the paintwork.
    Smooth, dirt repellent surface. CQuartz`s nano particles fill in tiny swirls and imperfections in the paint to make it perfectly smooth. Therefore, dirt and dirty water cannot settle into any crevices. The finish is also resistant to bugs, UV rays, acids, and salts. Plus, the slick surface is anti-static and washes off easily.
    Anti Calcium Effect. CQuartz prevents mineral deposits from bonding to the vehicle`s surface so water spots can be wiped off.
    Detergent-resistant protection. CQuartz cannot be removed by water, alkaline or other detergents, or by pressure washers. It lasts up to two years!
    Self-cleaning effect. Most dirt and debris will not stick in the first place so you may find yourself washing your vehicle much less often.
    CQuartz can be applied to virtually any surface: glass, wheels, plastics, leather, and rubber.

Manufacturers Claimed Features:
    • Anti scratch improved by 50%
    • Fire and flame retardant ! (See video demo)
    • Antioxidant
    • Insulation property
    • Anti static
    • Anti acids and salts
    • Excellent high gloss effect - mirror finish.
    • Hydrophobic Water-repelling
    • Anti Calcium effect
    • Dirt-deflecting
    • Easy to clean/self cleaning effect
    • Weather protection
    • UV - weather-resistant
    • Insects and flies repellent
    • Anti corrosion
    • No more waxing!
    • Preserve car value condition

Product Observations:
    1. Manufacturer: CarPro
    2. Made in: Japan
    3. Packaging: Blue Glass Bottle in a Silver Zip-lock Pouch
    3. Color: Clear – Slightly Off White
    4. Scent: Chemical (You don’t want to be sniffing this stuff)
    5. Consistency: Watery
    9. Price:
    A. 30ml = $49.99
    B. 30ml Kit = $59.99
    C. 50ml Kit = $79.99

Manufacturers Application Directions:
    1. Shake well. Pour a few drops of CQuartz on a microfiber applicator pad.
    2. Apply CQuartz in straight lines, criss-crossing each car panel.
    3. Wait 20-30 min. average. At 20-30° C. (68-86° F), wait 10-15 min. At 10~20° C (50-67° F), wait 20~40 min. Then wipe off gently with soft microfiber towel with short looped fibers. Avoid re-using the wipe off microfiber towels because they will harden and crystallize.
    4. Let dry for 1hour at 25° C (77° F) or 3 hours at 15° C (59° F).
    5. Avoid washing the vehicle with any soap for 7 days. It can be rinsed with water.
    6. You have the option of accelerating the cure time by using IR lights.
    7. Working temperature: 10- 30° C (50-86°F).
    8. During the first 10 minutes, apply CQuartz to any spots that were missed. After 10 minutes, do not try to re-fill missing spots; it will stain the paint.

Round One:
    For my first introduction and experience with CQuartz I decided to apply it to the wheels on my test subject. The test vehicle in this case is my wife VW Jetta. I thought the wheels would be good initial test due to the amount of brake dust the wheels create. Also I figured the wheel barrels would be a forgiving area to begin and perfect my application.

First the State of the wheels after a little over a week or driving before application.

Wheels were cleaned up with a Mixture of APC and Dawn. They were then sprayed down with IronX and clayed as needed. Here are some of the typical IronX photos.

Wheel after wash and dry.

Wheels were then wiped down with a 9:1 IPA/Dawn mixture as directed by CarPro.

For my initial application I chose to use a cotton make-up applicator pad as others have said the work very well. I also wanted to be able to work into all of the nooks and crannies of the wheel.

These pictures don’t show the much in the way of final glossy pics but here they are.

Here is the amount of CQuartz I used to put 2 coats on the wheels.

Here is one of the wheels after a week+ of driving. I was waiting the recommended 1 week before washing with soap.

And now the beading after the wash. I only used regular Megs Shampoo+ and water.

Initial Thoughts and Observations:

• The application of CQuartz is very easy.
    • The temperature was in the mid 80’s for this application and I found the CQuartz to flash off fairly quickly.
    • The finish it left was not a slick as I anticipated.
    • After topping the wheels with Reload the slickness was really amped up.
    • I didn’t notice and paint darkening. CQuartz simply enhanced the finish.
    • The ability for CQuartz to release dirt and water was very evident.
    • CQuartz made the washing of the wheels much easier and quicker.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Product Review: CQuartz Ceramic Quartz Paint Protection

Round Two:
    One week after I had done the wheels I began the process of doing the paint. I was lucky in that for round 2 I had nearly a whole week to polish out the paint and apply the CQuartz. This allowed me to compound and polish in the evenings after work without being rushed.

I started with the Standard Decon wash.

This was followed up by a liberal spray down with IronX. I found it hard to get a good picture on IronX on the paint. Honestly at first I thought it wasn’t working very well but then started to notice the accumulation on the floor.

I followed this with Clay Magic Blue and a little Red on some over spray on a rear quarter panel. After IronX the clay stayed very clean compared to normal,

Here is a quick pic of the amount of IronX used in total on the wheels and paint.

Here are some Pre-Correction pictures. Overall the car is in good condition just some minor wash induced swirls and marring.

For the polishing I choose to do full 3 step because I had the time. All correction was carried out using my PCxp.
    Step 1: M105 on LC Cyan and Orange Flat Pads
    Step 2: M205 on LC Tang and White Flat Pads
    Step 3: Menz PO85rd on a LC Crimson Pads

Polishing was followed by a final wash and dry using a blower.

A few Pre-LSP pictures. Overall I am pleased with how the polishing process came out using my PCxp on this hard VW paint.

The entire car was then wiped down with a 9:1 IPA/Dawn mixture as directed by CarPro same as the wheels. I was then ready for the CQuartz application.

For the application to the paint I choose to use the Suede Microfiber wrapped around the supplied foam block. This worked very well and the suede MF wasted very little of the product IMO. I went ahead and applied a full 2 coats to all of the paint and black plastic trim. I choose not to apply any CQuartz to the glass as my wife asked me not to and I actually prefer them clean or with RainX.

Here is what is left after the entire application process. It may be a little hard to see but the level is at the top of the “C”.

And now for the Finished Pictures.

Thoughts and Observations:

• The application of CQuartz is very easy when using the suede MF on the foam block.
    • The temperature was in the upper 80’s for this application and I found the CQuartz to flash off quickly. If possible I would want to try and keep the ambient temperature more around 70 – 72 degrees if possible. But I had no problem in my application.
    • The finish it left was not a slick as say Power Lock to me. After topping the wheels with Reload the slickness was really amped up and more acceptable to me. I don’t like the paint to feel grabby.
    • On the Platinum Gray Metallic paint the CQuartz had a slight darkening effect in my eyes and left a nice bright if not slightly wet look.
    • The CQ has been on the vehicle for about 2 weeks now. It has shown the ability to release dirt and water was very well. It was so cool to watch we played with the hose on the car for about 15 minutes after the 1st week.

Any comments and questions are welcome. Thanks for looking.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice write up!

Did you do any taping before polishing?

I find manufacturing descriptions interesting. "CQuartz works on the molecular level to transform the surface." In reality, everything works at a molecular level.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic review Troy. These new nano sealants are really interesting. I have not really gotten my hands around them yet. Can they be topped? I find myself always putting a sealant or wax on my cars because I enjoy doing it.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like your reviews Troy. Car looks Great!
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Troy,

Fantastic writeup and review!

I`ve been itching to try some of these new products and with reviews like this how can I resist. My only disappointment is I enjoy detailing my vehicles and if I use these new Hi-Tech products I`ll only have to wash the car. What am I supposed to do with all the great products I currently have?

Seriously, these products are amazing. I`ve used Ultima Paint Guard Plus and although similar I don`t think it`s in the same category as CQuartz Ceramic Quartz Paint Protection.

Thanks for taking the time to review and post...

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like

nice write up! Very informative.

I am just wondering why you would even use something like this that is not permanent when you could use something like Opti-Guard that is?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post

Did you do any taping before polishing?
    Yes, I did tape up the entire car before polishing. I didn`t take any pics of this and some of the polishing steps because I figure most of us have already seen enough of those pics and posts. And in the end this was really about CQuartz and my experience with it to this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    I have not really gotten my hands around them yet. Can they be topped? I find myself always putting a sealant or wax on my cars because I enjoy doing it.
    From my knowledge of Cquartz yes you can top it if you so choose. The comments I have read from AVI though point out that by toping it with a nuba you essentially are "covering up the great dirt and water releasing properties of the product. Also because the properties of the coating you can not expect to get the same durability out of your beauty wax as the CQuartz will basically repel / keep it from fully bonding properly. On a side note I have seen Richy state that he has used DG AW as a post wash top up on CQ in place of Reload. I may try this in the future and alternate between the 2 for a slightly cheaper upkeep and to stretch my Reload out longer.

Another note is that CQ can be toped up at any time you choose with itself. (Adding a 2nd or 3rd coat before winter?) All you need to do is clean the paint up and do an IPA wipe down and your G-2-G.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Troy,
    I`ve been itching to try some of these new products and with reviews like this how can I resist. My only disappointment is I enjoy detailing my vehicles and if I use these new Hi-Tech products I`ll only have to wash the car. What am I supposed to do with all the great products I currently have?

Seriously, these products are amazing. I`ve used Ultima Paint Guard Plus and although similar I don`t think it`s in the same category as CQuartz Ceramic Quartz Paint Protection.

My personal car is not getting coated at this time. I like waxing and I have quite a bit of stuff to use up. For my wife`s car this is a great solution. I only get to wash it about once a week so it "seems" to help with the washing process, and so far it looks great even when the car is dirty. Also she doesn`t baby it like I do. So the scratch resistance is an added plus.

I have OPT OS with I think is comparable to UPGP.... OS is a great spray on sealant. (I use it for my cars paint and wheels.) But IHO CQ and the other new nano coating are in a league of their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Premium View Post
    I am just wondering why you would even use something like this that is not permanent when you could use something like Opti-Guard that is?
    I have had the same thought. First of all the one bottle was provided to me to do a review on by John. But after some thought and research I believe that for me CQ was the right choice at the time. None of the new nano coatings a scratch or rock-chip proof. With CQ you are able to do spot repair and re-coating without have to compound and polish out the entire panel. (It was not until recent weeks that OPT has started saying you could scuff and re-apply) At this point I would consider something like OC/OG on a brand new vehicle for that extra layer of protection. I do also really like the fact that OC/OG is a more permanent coating verses CQ being a "Super Sealant".

_____

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that reveiw!! I recently put up a thread called SUPER THIN CLEARCOAT and it explains how my acura rsx has very thin layer of paint and clear. Im going to use CQuartz for my next detail so i have a little more protection. Thanks again and keep us up on how the product holds up....EROCK

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been wanting to try this, but I`m too afraid to mess the application up. And I enjoy waxing my car. It gives me time alone. It`s almost peaceful lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post
    Thanks for the kind words guys.

Yes, I did tape up the entire car before polishing. I didn`t take any pics of this and some of the polishing steps because I figure most of us have already seen enough of those pics and posts. And in the end this was really about CQuartz and my experience with it to this point.

From my knowledge of Cquartz yes you can top it if you so choose. The comments I have read from AVI though point out that by toping it with a nuba you essentially are "covering up the great dirt and water releasing properties of the product. Also because the properties of the coating you can not expect to get the same durability out of your beauty wax as the CQuartz will basically repel / keep it from fully bonding properly. On a side note I have seen Richy state that he has used DG AW as a post wash top up on CQ in place of Reload. I may try this in the future and alternate between the 2 for a slightly cheaper upkeep and to stretch my Reload out longer.

Another note is that CQ can be toped up at any time you choose with itself. (Adding a 2nd or 3rd coat before winter?) All you need to do is clean the paint up and do an IPA wipe down and your G-2-G.

My personal car is not getting coated at this time. I like waxing and I have quite a bit of stuff to use up. For my wife`s car this is a great solution. I only get to wash it about once a week so it "seems" to help with the washing process, and so far it looks great even when the car is dirty. Also she doesn`t baby it like I do. So the scratch resistance is an added plus.

I have OPT OS with I think is comparable to UPGP.... OS is a great spray on sealant. (I use it for my cars paint and wheels.) But IHO CQ and the other new nano coating are in a league of their own.

I have had the same thought. First of all the one bottle was provided to me to do a review on by John. But after some thought and research I believe that for me CQ was the right choice at the time. None of the new nano coatings a scratch or rock-chip proof. With CQ you are able to do spot repair and re-coating without have to compound and polish out the entire panel. (It was not until recent weeks that OPT has started saying you could scuff and re-apply) At this point I would consider something like OC/OG on a brand new vehicle for that extra layer of protection. I do also really like the fact that OC/OG is a more permanent coating verses CQ being a "Super Sealant".

_____
    Hi Troy
    very nice review and im glad you like cquartz,
    few things though to comment....
    in my opinion permanent coat is a way of marketing pronouncement , there is nothing permanent if you can remove it by any mechanical abrasion
    thats why we dont call our coat "permanent" and more like semi permanent.

call cquartz super sealant or wax or anything you want, what i know is that nothing can remove it from surface beside polishing compound ,
    here is short video done by a chemical student who doing his doctorate on chemical coatings,applied half with cquartz on Plexiglas surface, here he wanted to test adhesion properties to surface and anti scratch effect :

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2ADvrn9Pwo"]‪Cquartz adhesion by scalpel.MP4‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your input Avi. I do like the video as well.

CQ has definitely made the vehicle easier to clean. I have notice a slight problem with water spotting after rain storms. But so far so good. I should a have a 1 month review coming up soon and then will do updates monthly or as needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that was a very VERY good review Troy and enjoyable to read. Thank you for posting!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the kind words Todd. Its really nothing compared to the epic threads you have created over the years but I am having fun. And that all that counts right?

Post Thanks / Like

Any updates on durability? I know its still early.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information