Post Thanks / Like

Claying-Am I doing something wrong?

I have a 2004 Mitsu Endeavor. It is medium-dark red. When I first purchased it I clayed it with Claymagic.

Each spring I buff it with a PC using SSR 2.5 and SSR 1. Then I use AIO followed by either UPP or EX-P.

I wash and quick detail it several times during the summer. Then I use AIO and UPP in the Fall to hold me over Winter.

I haven`t clayed the SUV since Year One. Now I just did it, with freshly purchased Claymagic and I didn`t get much dirt off of it. However, when I used AIO, the pad got very dirty.

Am I doing something wrong in my claying technique? Or do I need to use a softer brand of clay?

Thanks in advance,

Tom P.

Tampa, FL
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Claying-Am I doing something wrong?

The thouroughness of claying requires you keep going over the section until it feels smoth. You can feel the clay dragging a bit when it`s picking up debris from the surface. Keep exposing a clean clay surface and keep claying until it glides really smoothly over that section.

Which Clay Magic bar do you have? Red or blue? The blue is a little less agressive and "finer". The red is a little more agressive and is "moderate". Don`t forget plenty of lube and simply keep working the section.

I clay once a year and if you haven`t done it since 04 or 05 it probably needs just a little more work because it may have accumulated quite a bit in the past 4 to 5 years.

Keep pluggin` my friend.
    Tampa, FL

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like its not aggressive enough .. keep rubbin
    back in buisness baby

Post Thanks / Like

I have the blue. I bought the kit that has the small bottle with it.

On the hood, I felt no drag at all. It glided smoothly over the entire surface. But the AIO did get the pad dirty and I figured that the clay should have picked that up first.

The place where the clay did a nice job was in the rear quarter panels. Those areas were filthy. It pulled all that crud out of there.

I may try again in a few weeks, perhaps concentrating on the door panels first to see if I get any results of note.

Tom P.

Quote Originally Posted by Pander5 View Post
    The thouroughness of claying requires you keep going over the section until it feels smoth. You can feel the clay dragging a bit when it`s picking up debris from the surface. Keep exposing a clean clay surface and keep claying until it glides really smoothly over that section.

Which Clay Magic bar do you have? Red or blue? The blue is a little less agressive and "finer". The red is a little more agressive and is "moderate". Don`t forget plenty of lube and simply keep working the section.

I clay once a year and if you haven`t done it since 04 or 05 it probably needs just a little more work because it may have accumulated quite a bit in the past 4 to 5 years.

Keep pluggin` my friend.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn`t use the red clay unless absolutely nesccerary

Try leaning harder with the blue and instead of QD use H2O

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say your maintenance is probably pretty good and you are probably doing nothing wrong at all. If there is no drag then there is nothing to grab.
    Remember clay only removes surface contaminates whereas the AIO or the SSR`s are cleaning into the paint/ clear.
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

I`d say you got two different results "dirtiness-wise" because you are using two different methods to clean. Clay doesn`t do what an AIO does, and vice-versa to some extent. Two separate methods and ideologies between claying and polishing.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

what they said ^^^
    POLLEN is Evil

"Luck" Residue of design tuscarora dave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

When I clay I use PB Spray & wipe as a lube and it gets faster results because it has more cleaning ability than the Clay Magic Clay Lube. But what the other posters said applies too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    I would say your maintenance is probably pretty good and you are probably doing nothing wrong at all. If there is no drag then there is nothing to grab.
    Remember clay only removes surface contaminates whereas the AIO or the SSR`s are cleaning into the paint/ clear.
    Agree ... two different and necessary ways to clean paint. There was some discussion here a long long time ago about actually cleaning the paint with AIO or another cleaner prior to claying. If there are a lot of contaminates on the paint I will solvent clean prior to doing either.
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Thread Information