Post Thanks / Like

Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound PROBLEM. HELP!

Hey guys, I`m hoping that you guys can help me out.

Today I went out and bought some Turtle Wax R.C and I applied it on my hood and other places. It was hot out and the truck was pretty hot. When I was done I looked and there were vertical streaks from where I had gone up and down with the rag to apply and remove. I later read that this isn`t suppose to be used on clearcoat cars...

Anyways, has anyone used this on their car if so, how did you remove the marks/dullness (if there were any)?

Also, anyone know of a good way to get rid of it?

My plans are to buy this:

Amazon.com: Meguiar`s Complete Car Care Kit: Automotive

and take a day or two clay kitting and doing everything that I need to do. Should I buy anything else/different than this, or is everything that I need in there?

Please help, my beautiful black truck looks a little duller and older now.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound PROBLEM. HELP!

i would say the car needs to be machine polished with a good polish ..IN A COOL SHADED AREA .. you should have asked before compounding a clear coat job . the old school methods you tried will ruin a newer paint job . i did the same thing when i got back into detailing . then i found this site and learned the new / correct methods of polishing clear coat paint. then i recommend ordering a good poliosh like poorboys or similar and maybe you could fix it by hand .. you may be able to fix this with megs LIQUID GOLD CLASS it has lots of fillers and may work .. re wash the car . try the megs and if that doesnt work . try the other . also where are you at? maybe a member here could help you out . im in central ca . if you are around i would be glad to try and fix it..good luck buddy
    back in buisness baby

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

cd85233, I looked up the kit you reference and to tell you the truth I can`t tell you what is in the kit. The picture does not match the product description. For example, the picture shows PlastX and ScratchX which are not included in the product description.

Besides Troy (owner of this forum and detail supply company, as well as being a pro detailer) can probably put together a similar kit for you. Assuming you already have car wash and mitts or sponges you can get:

Clay bar
    Polish - based on whether you will be using hand or machine. Hopefully the latter or that you are a young man and in good shape.
    Wax or sealant

And maybe some MF towels since you mentioned a "rag".

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Good advice so far. Why did you use the compound in the first place? Was there paint fade or scratches?

As has been already said, that product is wayyy to harsh for a clear coat finish. I can try to walk you through fixing it, but I would rather see you get some face to face help either through a member here that is close by or seek out a pro detailer in your area. I would hate to see you either waste your time and money or make things worse. Nissan paint can be a little difficult to work with especially by hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigron62 View Post
    i would say the car needs to be machine polished with a good polish ..IN A COOL SHADED AREA .. you should have asked before compounding a clear coat job . the old school methods you tried will ruin a newer paint job . i did the same thing when i got back into detailing . then i found this site and learned the new / correct methods of polishing clear coat paint. then i recommend ordering a good poliosh like poorboys or similar and maybe you could fix it by hand .. you may be able to fix this with megs LIQUID GOLD CLASS it has lots of fillers and may work .. re wash the car . try the megs and if that doesnt work . try the other . also where are you at? maybe a member here could help you out . im in central ca . if you are around i would be glad to try and fix it..good luck buddy

Ummmm mebbe a little off topic........ but......

What about your back?
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

IMO the dullness that you are seeing is the hazing from the compound. To clean that up and get back to a clean surface, I would use a paint cleaner like PB pro-polish or OTC Megs Deep Crystal paint cleaner. You can do this by hand working in panel sections on a COOL surface. Once you have that done I would look at a combo polish protection product, like PB P-w-C or P-w-S Both have abilities to remove some marring and will be great results by hand
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ..im injured not dead ...id have to do something like that between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm ...wifeys work hours
    back in buisness baby

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigron62 View Post
    shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ..im injured not dead ...id have to do something like that between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm ...wifeys work hours
    gotchya. just worried for ya, dats all.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Thread Information