Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Question Gridguard floating and not staying on the bottom of the bucket

Hi anyone,

I`ve just purchased from Autogeek 2 5-gallon buckets with Gridguard to use the 2-bucket method.

I`ve had a problem with the Gridguard in the shampoo bucket (MG Gold Class). It kept floating up !

No big deal, since the other one with the clear water stayed put, but I was wondering if I`m the only one with this problem (highly unlikely, but what do I know).

Thanks

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gridguard floating and not staying on the bottom of the bucket

You could just epoxy some weights to the bottom of it. I have one, but don`t have a bucket big enough for it to fit in, so I`m not sure if mine floats or not.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought of that but was wondering why only the one in the shampoo bucket.

Post Thanks / Like

I would not worry about it. Just push it down when you put the wash mitt in the pail. If it is floating it is doing the job that it was designed to do. That is.... It is keeping the mitt away from dirt at the bottom of the pail.

At least that how I dealt with it when it happened to me.
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Post Thanks / Like

mine grit guards dont float after i push them down.

Post Thanks / Like

Shouldn`t it keep the dirt from swirling up by keeping it at the bottom between the legs ?

Anyway thanks for confirming that I`m not the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by cwcad View Post
    I would not worry about it. Just push it down when you put the wash mitt in the pail. If it is floating it is doing the job that it was designed to do. That is.... It is keeping the mitt away from dirt at the bottom of the pail.

At least that how I dealt with it when it happened to me.

Post Thanks / Like

My suggestion is to ditch the grit guard. I have tried to give them a fair shake on three different occasions, and I find that they are a gimmick and don`t add anything to the multiple bucket method. Try rinsing your mitt off with the hose before you put the mitt in the rinse bucket(s). That`s more effective than a grit guard will ever be in my opinion.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaredPointer View Post
    My suggestion is to ditch the grit guard. I have tried to give them a fair shake on three different occasions, and I find that they are a gimmick and don`t add anything to the multiple bucket method. Try rinsing your mitt off with the hose before you put the mitt in the rinse bucket(s). That`s more effective than a grit guard will ever be in my opinion.
    Finally,, I `m so glad to read your post,since that`s how I feel about these grit guards,it just doesn`t make sense to do what its suppose to do ,every time you push your hand in the bucket ,the dirt and grit circulate all over the bucket,if the grit goes through these holes to the bottom of the bucket, it can come back up.
    I never said anything since I don`t have one,but made a DIY at home and you guessed it
    I ditched it.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually find the grit guard does work, and while mine does not float it maybe because I have the dolley on the bottom with the wheels, and it has large thumbscrews to hold it on and I believe they put pressure on the side of the bucket holding it in place.
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

can`t say mine has ever floated

but it does work to keep dirt down...I only use mine in the rinse bucket, I do not push my mitts in hard as yes water displaement will bring the bottom water up if you do. Put the mitt in , let it sink to the bottom and then I rub it against the Grit Guard to loosen trapped dirt ....rinsing it afterwards like Jared said is also a good idea.

All of these tools, soft mitts, the Grit Guard , the multiple buckets, foam guns ..etc..all are helpful precautions against creating swirls, but none of them alone or in a group will completely remove the possibility of inducing swirls.
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have a gritguard as well and not sure if they work since i used it one time. I would put my mitt in very slowly and not flat but side ways this way the water does not move so much. Then rub the mitt at the bottom. Like steve says with all precautions takin should help prevent some swirls.
    R.I.P Derek. I love you brother!
    Arcade Gangsta | Arcade Thugz | Arcade Maniacs

Post Thanks / Like

In lieu of the grit guard, try rinsing the mitt before you put it in the rinse bucket, and either change the water in the rinse bucket if you feel unsure about it or have more than one rinse bucket.

As with all other things that people buy, some things are gimmicks. I feel that the grit guard is one of those things. I can see in theory how it might seem like a good idea, but in practice it just doesn`t carry over. There is no discernable difference in the way the rinse water looks, and even with the grit guard, I can still see large debris floating/suspended in the rinse water. And again, I have used it several times, varied the method of use, and tried to be open minded about it. It just doesn`t work for me.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

I wanted to thank you all for your insights.

I think that I`ll keep the gridguard in the rinse bucket for now but probably not in the shampoo one, especially since there doesn`t appear to be a real need for it.

Interesting comment about the screws in the dolly system squeezing the sides of the bucket a little. I does make sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Same as you. One stays down and one floats. I keep thinking about getting a river rock to put on top of it to keep it down (a really smooth, clean one).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaredPointer View Post
    ......And again, I have used it several times, varied the method of use, and tried to be open minded about it. It just doesn`t work for me.
    One very useful way that I use it after detailing is as a small platform to keep my mitt, pads, applicators, etc. off the driveway. I find it is nice for sitting them on it while I rinse them off. I do use it in the rinse bucket hoping it helps, but find it more useful as my "rinse platform".

John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information