Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dupont "7" New car wax

My father inlaw collects anything and everything..so this is what he gave me a 20 year old can of dupont "7" wax high silicone content..I will save for display purposes..

I bet some of the old schoolers remember the product,also something for the younger detailer to view.

The can weighs 1 1/2 lbs

the can is opened with a key that is attatched to the bottom of the tin

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dupont "7" New car wax

Thats a cool find, i love older stuff. The history behind it. That can looks intresting i would hold onto that one if I were you
    06 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joe.p
    I bet some of the old schoolers remember the product
    Hey Joe, 20 year old stuff isn`t old school.
    I used Dupont #7 Car Wash, (Granulated/powder), Rubbing Compound, and Liquid Car Polish back in the 1950`s. That`s old school.
    They were pretty decent products for their time. I felt they worked better than the more common Johnson Wax products, (The same people that made the floor wax), and much easier to use than the paste/brick wax that Simoniz had at the time.

I think the No. 7 brand still exists although I don`t think Dupont has been involved with it for years.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW
    Hey Joe, 20 year old stuff isn`t old school.
    I used Dupont #7 Car Wash, (Granulated/powder), Rubbing Compound, and Liquid Car Polish back in the 1950`s. That`s old school.
    They were pretty decent products for their time. I felt they worked better than the more common Johnson Wax products, (The same people that made the floor wax), and much easier to use than the paste/brick wax that Simoniz had at the time.

I think the No. 7 brand still exists although I don`t think Dupont has been involved with it for years.

Charles
    So you are familiar with it..if # "7" is still available i would think it would be reformulated by now..On the can it states the wax/glaze is very heavy in silicones..sure could hide some imperfections hugh I guess it it depends how young you are dertimines old school or not

I also found a used can of Blue coral in the trunk of my 71 olds..it was the only wax used on the car back in the day .the original rag that was used to apply the wax is still in the car..

Quote Originally Posted by CalgaryDetail
    Thats a cool find, i love older stuff. The history behind it. That can looks intresting i would hold onto that one if I were you
    ]
    I like the older collector tins my self you can sometimes find them on ebay for almost nothing..

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

I also found a used can of Blue coral in the trunk of my 71 olds..it was the only wax used on the car back in the day .the original rag that was used to apply the wax is still in the car..
    As I remember it, Blue Coral was originally a premium wax that was part of the dealer applied protection packages back in the 50`s and 60`s. I don`t remember it being available OTC until many years later.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW
    As I remember it, Blue Coral was originally a premium wax that was part of the dealer applied protection packages back in the 50`s and 60`s. I don`t remember it being available OTC until many years later.

Charles
    I had the cutlass towed to the house and i know it stayed in the garage with a tarp for over 15 years only taking the cover off to start the car twice a month.. it was raining the day i had the car towed to my garage ..i swear i couldn`t beleive it the entire car was still beading after all these years..IIRC it wasn`t so easy to remove but was great on durabilty..

charles how long have you been into maintaing your vehicle..you can reach far back when we talk about detailing..In noway is the question reffering to age just your knowledge..

Charles, heres one for you..you can clearly see the older version of bluecoral is on the right.thats the one i found in the trunk of my 71 olds..

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

I had the cutlass towed to the house and i know it stayed in the garage with a tarp for over 15 years only taking the cover off to start the car twice a month.. it was raining the day i had the car towed to my garage ..i swear i couldn`t beleive it the entire car was still beading after all these years..IIRC it wasn`t so easy to remove but was great on durabilty..
    Difficulty in removal was the name of the game back in those days. Most paste waxes were extremely hard to remove. My dad alway used Simoniz and it was a real PIA.
    charles how long have you been into maintaing your vehicle..you can reach far back when we talk about detailing..In noway is the question reffering to age just your knowledge..
    Joe, I am in no way sensitive about my age. It`s just another part of life to accept. Getting old sure beats the alternative.
    My dad took good care of his cars and I started helping him wash and wax when I was about 10 or 12. He usually had black cars so there was always something to do. I think I have been washing and waxing ever since
    My first car was a 1936 Buick straight 8 purchased in 1949 when I was 14. Since then I have owned well over 50 cars.

Charles, heres one for you..you can clearly see the older version of bluecoral is on the right.thats the one i found in the trunk of my 71 olds..
    The one on the right is the one I remember from the 50`s. The other one was a totally different product. Probably just trading on the Blue Coral name.

Another example of how these are the "good old days". In those days, the choices were very limited and not easy to use. They were either difficult to remove, (pastes), or dusted, (liquids), like you wouldn`t believe. We used cotton bath towels and one would usually be so loaded with product that it would often require a second one to complete the wax removal.
    We didn`t have to worry about staining plastic trim, though. Plastic had not yet been invented.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Its something over 50 cars and you remember the 1st one like it was yesterday.. you grew up watching your Dad..I grew up watching my mom wash her car in the cold with a bucket of warm water.. and it was only one bucket too by hand and the rag would freeze up we lived in a two flat so she washed the car in front the house..

That would have made me the same age as you maybe closer to 13..The old buick was a lot of paint to take care of back then .I remember a neighbor gave me $5.00 to to wax her 76 camaro with TW and i`ve never forgotten it.I thought my arms would fall off

does the old Bluecoral can look like the ones you remember?

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

does the old Bluecoral can look like the ones you remember?
    The keyword there is "remember".
    It would make for a good story if I could say it did, but I honestly don`t remember. It was a dealer applied treatment in those days and I can`t honestly say that I remember exactly what the can looked like.

As far as remembering that first car, I think I can remember all of them that I ever owned. Some fondly, some not so fondly.

Charles

Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome Joe!!!! I just started picking up older wax tins myself...(and oil cans)
    Here is my DUPONT #7

"In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Post Thanks / Like

Thats all really cool stuff!!!!! How much is that worth now??

Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pockets@PoorboysWorld
    Thats all really cool stuff!!!!! How much is that worth now??
    Not too much. More of a collector value to the person that wants/owns it.
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Post Thanks / Like

No.7 powered wash was my first wash...back in the 60`s....and on the Blue coral..the first ones came in glass bottles or just the cleaner did...it was a 2 parts system...I think one was the cleaner and one was the sealant...I remember my dad using them and swearing..lol..stuff stuck to the paint like glue...

Al
    2004 Ford Ranger 4x4
    Bright Red
    My PitBull Rides Shotgun

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTB
    Awesome Joe!!!! I just started picking up older wax tins myself...(and oil cans)
    Here is my DUPONT #7

chris you have a nice little collection I like to see the old stuff myself..TexasTB my father inlaw didn`t want me to spend my money on oil so he gave 6 qts of oil kinda like the one in your pic.remember you had to put the spout thru the can..I`ll take a look and see if their similar to yours.

[quote=CharlesW]The keyword there is "remember".
    It would make for a good story if I could say it did, but I honestly don`t remember. It was a dealer applied treatment in those days and I can`t honestly say that I remember exactly what the can looked like.

[QUOTE]Charles was the blue coral sold as a sealant upgrade like the stealerships do with todays sealants..Charles i had a 79 Riviera tha was a nightmare and a 76 montecarlo my Mom told me not to buy,she was right..

Pockets its more of a collective item.. sometimes you can pick up old tins of wax real cheap on ebay..

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information