Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dupont "7" New car wax

Well i cant say that they bring back memories but they are really cool to look at and read the old labels thanks for puttin more up:smile

Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

eBay has a good selection from time to time. Shipping though...they like to overcharge......lol
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTB
    eBay has a good selection from time to time. Shipping though...they like to overcharge......lol
    chris, i showed my father inlaw your collection he remembered the texaco right of the bat.. I have him checking the basemant for more goodies..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joe.p
    I bet some of the old schoolers remember the product,also something for the younger detailer to view.
    Oh, yeah! I remember this product very well. My dear old dad (RIP) used this on his taxicab. It was the quintessential product for keeping professional vehicles clean, back in the 1960s.

There was a rubbing compound as well as the wax.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

so charles was "7" the boutique of products back then..I thought i seen a pic of the "7" compund in TexasTB pics but i`m not sure if its the same one? its cool these productd are bringing up good ole memories

Post Thanks / Like

#7 was not a boutique product.It was o.d.c. . Boutique products back then were Blue Coral, Porcelenize, Lustre Seal, and Car Groom. I guess Meguiars was boutique because you couldnt get it in the midwest.

Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Larry A
    #7 was not a boutique product.It was o.d.c. . Boutique products back then were Blue Coral, Porcelenize, Lustre Seal, and Car Groom. I guess Meguiars was boutique because you couldnt get it in the midwest.
    ODC? mean OTC?

ODC= Over Da Counter .....lol......jk
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

so charles was "7" the boutique of products back then..I thought i seen a pic of the "7" compund in TexasTB pics but i`m not sure if its the same one? its cool these productd are bringing up good ole memories
    The Dupont #7 products were available quite few places. The original "Western Auto" stores were the best places to find car care products in our area. The parts stores like we have now didn`t sell to people off the street. Just to shops and dealers. I don`t remember that we had any "Auto Body Supply" stores either. I think the body shop products were usually sold through a parts store. The nearest source of products to me was a Western Auto store about 15 miles away. Des Moines had about three auto parts stores within a block of each other that would sell to anyone, but their prices were so high that none of the shops or dealers would buy from them. Just us country bumpkins that couldn`t find anything anywhere else. About once a month, we made a trip to Des Moines which was 60 miles away and I went crazy looking at all the stuff. Didn`t buy much because I had no money. Having no money wasn`t as bad as it might seem since none of my friends had any money either. We sometimes had to pool our money to get enough gas for the trip to Des Moines, (and yes, we actually called it "going to the city" ) and gas was only about 25 cents a gallon. Round trip probably took about $2 worth of gas, but when you were making 50 to 80 centa an hour, that $2 was a lot of money. Imagine spending close to 4 hours of your pay to travel 120 miles. Good old days, my fanny.

Charles

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Larry A
    I had forgotten about the Porcelainize and the Luster Seal and Car Groom weren`t in my area.
    Hey, we only had a Chevy dealer and a Ford dealer. One did Blue Coral, one did Porcelainize. Two dealers, two systems. Worked for them. Interestingly enough, a Ford would cost you almost exactly the same price as a Chevy and all the service and parts prices were about the same. Quite a coincidence.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

I disliked the Mustang so much I sold it after about 60 days of ownership.
    I bet you wish you had that car now....

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by harry444
    I bet you wish you had that car now....
    Not at all. My son had a 1982 Mustang and I was amazed that in the 18 years since I had mine, they still hadn`t built a Mustang worth owning.
    They tell me they are much better today, but it`s not likely I will ever own another one.
    I do, however wish I still had my 1965 GTO.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW
    The Dupont #7 products were available quite few places. The original "Western Auto" stores were the best places to find car care products in our area. The parts stores like we have now didn`t sell to people off the street. Just to shops and dealers. I don`t remember that we had any "Auto Body Supply" stores either. I think the body shop products were usually sold through a parts store. The nearest source of products to me was a Western Auto store about 15 miles away. Des Moines had about three auto parts stores within a block of each other that would sell to anyone, but their prices were so high that none of the shops or dealers would buy from them. Just us country bumpkins that couldn`t find anything anywhere else. About once a month, we made a trip to Des Moines which was 60 miles away and I went crazy looking at all the stuff. Didn`t buy much because I had no money. Having no money wasn`t as bad as it might seem since none of my friends had any money either. We sometimes had to pool our money to get enough gas for the trip to Des Moines, (and yes, we actually called it "going to the city" ) and gas was only about 25 cents a gallon. Round trip probably took about $2 worth of gas, but when you were making 50 to 80 centa an hour, that $2 was a lot of money. Imagine spending close to 4 hours of your pay to travel 120 miles. Good old days, my fanny.

Charles
    products weren`t so easy obtain back in then ..I remember very early on when i became a member back in the ole days you would justify paying for shipping rather then driving thru out the city.. store to store risking the chance the store may not even stock the item..i now know where the theory was developed and why you think shipping fees are cheaper in the long run ..those little round wooden wheels made for one hell of a bumpy ride J/K.. Thanks for taking us down memory lane.

Post Thanks / Like

products weren`t so easy obtain back in then ..I remember very early on when i became a member back in the ole days you would justify paying for shipping rather then driving thru out the city.. store to store risking the chance the store may not even stock the item..i now know where the theory was developed and why you think shipping fees are cheaper in the long run ..those little round wooden wheels made for one hell of a bumpy ride J/K.. Thanks for taking us down memory lane.
    Old woden wheels.... that means yu also had those large black cirlce things that played music... what did u call them HD (huge discs) wait no no they were "records".

lol sorry i coudnt resit
    06 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CalgaryDetail
    Old woden wheels.... that means yu also had those large black cirlce things that played music... what did u call them HD (huge discs) wait no no they were "records".

lol sorry i coudnt resit
    Are you kidding?
    I still have well over a hundred of the 33 1/3 LP`s,(huge disca), a few old 45`s and might even have an old 78 or two. I do remember the round tube recordings, but they were old even when I was a kid. My first phonograph/record player had a wind up mechanical motor and the sound from the pickup needle was amplified by a horn shaped speaker. Try sticking that in your shirt pocket and putting the horn in your ear while you workout.

While talking about the "old days" and the many things that have been invented.
    How many realize that they considered closing the U.S. Patent Office back around 1900 because "everything had been invented"?

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CalgaryDetail

lol sorry i coudnt resit
    Hey that is hilarious..when my daughter seen her grandmothers records she said grandma why where the CDs so big in those days hahahah..yeah 40 must be ancient to you

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information