Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

IGL Ecocoat Window

With all the hype surrounding IGL in the last few months, figured I’d give some of their consumer offerings a try. Started with Ecocoat Window yesterday, seems to be a pretty complete kit. Certainly not the cheapest game in town, $79.95 for what turns out to be 60ml of useable coating but what the heck, I’ve spent more on completely pointless detailing products in the past. When asking for objective reviews on the product, most responses were “It’s the greatest thing in the world!” as seems to be the case with anything IGL lately.

Regardless, it’s a nicely packaged kit, I’ll give them that. I went with 60ml kit because anything is worth doing is worth overdoing. Included were 5 *large* microsuede applicator cloths, a ‘standard’ round foam applicator for the cleaning part of it, two pipettes to be used when mixing the dual-component coating, the little bottle to mix them in and dispense with and the coatings and prep chems themselves:
    - Ecocoat window e1 30 ml
    - Ecocoat window e2 30 ml
    - Ecoclean glass+ 100 m

Oh, and 2 IGL decals were included as well; neat.

IGL Ecocoat Window-igl-window.jpg

Application video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUDBTY-8y1A

I pretty much went by the video instructions as the written instructions included were printed in Lilliputian-sized type and me aged peepers were too tired to make them out. There’s a couple of application vids out there and at some point IGL musta changed the makeup of the kit as many did not show the two-part mixing, showing instead a single bottle of coating.

So it went on quite easily although the cleaning part w/ the Ecoclean Glass+ could be a bit messy; it creates quite the slurry and fortunately, even after shaking it, I noticed clumps at the bottom of the bottle so I shook it some more…and some more…and some more until it was all in suspension. I had clayed the window first, but not polished and after using the Ecoclean with the round, foam applicator the window was spotless and literally squeaky clean. Dunno why but I`ve had a renewed interest in using actual claybars recently; after pretty much exclusively using Nanoskin mitts for the past year, I hadda use actual clay with the Feynlab Prime pre-polish component before using Ceramic and TopCoat 2 weeks ago and I had forgotten how enjoyable an actual claybar can be if you`re not in a hurry. I think I shall continue on the claybar path for a bit; very therapeutic somehow.

Mixed up about 10ml of E1 with 10ml of E2 and shook the daylights out of it for the recommended 1 minute. Wrapped one of the large microsuede cloths around a standard 3x5 blue microfiber applicator pad, squirted the now-combine solution on it rather liberally and applied in cross-hatch patterns until had pretty much disappeared. Waited an hour and then went back and buffed with a shorter nap towel. There was a very slight residue that came off very easily. The 20-25ml of mixed solution easily covered 3 complete 2017 Ford Transit van windshields.

I’ll probably throw some water at it tomorrow to see how it sheets off, or maybe go drive it around in the rain we’re supposed to get here in NE Ohio in the next few days. IGL claims:
    - Durable against wiper wear
    - Highly repellant. Durable up to 12 months
    - Easy to apply and Chemical Resistant
    - Waterspot resistance (this bullet point has a little heart next to it in their marketing material, perhaps denoting `extra lovely` resistance?)
    - Increased visibility during rain
    - Reduces deicing time

I’ve got Gyeon View on my car, Pearl Nano Glass on wife’s winter driver and had Kamikaze Intenso on my car for a bit last summer. So far, the Pearl Nano Glass is the best performing I’ve used and the Kamikaze Intenso was the worst, with Gyeon View being somewhere in the middle. I have also used Griots Glass Sealant a couple of summers ago and didn’t like that one too much, especially at night in dry weather where it seemed to produce halos around any light source.

Hopefully, at least in the case of IGL Ecocoat Window, it exceeds expectations as I’ll bet I could do about 10 more windshields with what’s left.

Have IGL Ecocoat Trim and IGL Ecocoat Wheel on the shelf too, will get around to them at some point as well.

Cleaning up the sprayer/piping from the Ecoclean Glass+ was a bit of effort...gotta keep shaking that bottle or it clumps up. When I was done with the cleaning part, I just set the bottle down until I was done with the entire application and the clumps had settled back down to the bottom, making cleaning the draw tube and sprayer a bit of a pain.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: IGL Ecocoat Window

Thanks for your thorough write-up.

I, too, recently brought out an actual clay bar the other day. Weird. But, that was for a spot check type deal. I`ll likely keep using the Nanoskin(s) for the full jobs
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this review!

Post Thanks / Like

Budget - well done as always. Thanks for being the resident coating tester!
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1
    the cleaning part w/ the Ecoclean Glass+ could be a bit messy; it creates quite the slurry...
    Yeah, thanks for the great review!

Hmm..I dunno if it`s likely to be Accumulator-proof

The inviolate necessity of keeping glass polish off everything except the glass keeps tripping me up.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review. The idea of mixing both products to create a little bottle of coating to use is kind of cool. Mix what you need and save the rest for another time. Packaging looks nice as well. The thing that got me is letting it sit on the glass for 1 hour and coming back to wipe it off. Maybe I am getting lazy but I want to apply my glass coating, let it set up for a couple minutes, wipe off and go. I think I am spoiled by the use of Opti-Glass and FlybyForte.

Looking forward to how long this lasts. Here in So Cal (the land of no rain) a typical glass coating can go a year or longer easily.

On a side note I tend to use a clay bar for personal vehicles. My feeling is still does a better job than a clay alternative. Others vehicles I do get the clay alternative.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Yeah, thanks for the great review!

Hmm..I dunno if it`s likely to be Accumulator-proof

The inviolate necessity of keeping glass polish off everything except the glass keeps tripping me up.
    Yeah, kinda why I used the included foam hand applicator sponge instead of a machine...kept it a bit neater. Mighta gone a bit heavy on the cleaner too. I hate anything to do with glass, interior, exterior...always ends up a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Thanks for the review. The idea of mixing both products to create a little bottle of coating to use is kind of cool. Mix what you need and save the rest for another time. Packaging looks nice as well. The thing that got me is letting it sit on the glass for 1 hour and coming back to wipe it off. Maybe I am getting lazy but I want to apply my glass coating, let it set up for a couple minutes, wipe off and go. I think I am spoiled by the use of Opti-Glass and FlybyForte.

Looking forward to how long this lasts. Here in So Cal (the land of no rain) a typical glass coating can go a year or longer easily.

On a side note I tend to use a clay bar for personal vehicles. My feeling is still does a better job than a clay alternative. Others vehicles I do get the clay alternative.
    I think we`re coming up on about 9 months with the Pearl Nano glass and it`s still doing well...kinda ambivalent on Gyeon View; still shedding water nicely but seems to get `filmed-up` more than it did when new. The Kamikaze Intenso was just great at shedding water but in dry, summer weather the bug-strikes would leave about a 1-2" trail that was a little tough to remove.

Intenso: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmyO3O9xMaY

Post Thanks / Like

Being an authorized IGL installer I like IGL window. No complaints here. But I will say Glass+ leaves a lot to be desired. Between the dusting and clumping its just not for me. I use Mckees glass polish followed by a igl precoat wipe down then apply. No issues here. If you need help with anything feel free to reach out.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Little update on this...

One of the vans at work with IGL Window finally left the barn for good, now in service. First days out were filled with rain, Techs route involved lotsa mixed freeway/local driving. Wasn`t really gonna do update on this today but Tech came in this morning to find me and said "What did you put on the windshield, that stuff is incredible!" so it must work well in rain, no wiper chatter.

I also applied to my own windshield last week so hopefully it will rain substantially soon so i can see how it does for myself.

So far have done (3) Ford Transit windows (pretty large) and my own Accord windshield, have used less than half of the 60ml kit. At $87.95 for the 60ml that 30ml of E1 and 30ml of E2 combined make up, it`s in the range of other window coatings....if you have a lot of windows to do.

In typical manufacturer jargon, longevity is claimed at `up to 12 months` so we`ll see if it`s gonna live up to that. As mentioned above, polishing windshields can be a messy proposition so I`d prefer to do once a year at most. Hopefully IGL Window fulfills that requirement.
    Likes nickclark08, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice to get that feedback from the Tech.

I want to polish the windshield and the back window of my car. But as many has stated that machine polish could be a mess to do. Maybe my car would get away with a hand polish. So think I will test the other car I maintain to machine polish the windshield and the back window. The most accesseble glass polish I can get is carpro ceriglass and the ryon polishing pad. It`s in really bad shape so hope it gets a little better after a glass polish. If not the windshield is so bad that I will recommend to replace it with a new one. The protection I will test is aquapel that has been around for a good while. Another glass protection I have my eyes on is the Soft99 offerings. They have a bunch of them though lol

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, have heard that Ceriglass stuff can be a REAL mess. I just went over the windshields with Menz 2400 and a yellow Rupes pad, mainly to remove any prior coating reside and/or rain-x that the dealer might have applied to the new vans.

Windshields were in good shape so got lucky in that respect.

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Nice to get that feedback from the Tech.

I want to polish the windshield and the back window of my car. But as many has stated that machine polish could be a mess to do. Maybe my car would get away with a hand polish. So think I will test the other car I maintain to machine polish the windshield and the back window. The most accesseble glass polish I can get is carpro ceriglass and the ryon polishing pad. It`s in really bad shape so hope it gets a little better after a glass polish. If not the windshield is so bad that I will recommend to replace it with a new one. The protection I will test is aquapel that has been around for a good while. Another glass protection I have my eyes on is the Soft99 offerings. They have a bunch of them though lol
    Likes SWETM, GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Little bit of IGL Window, 62mph, about 34 degree F which I think is causing the the small, misty stuff on passenger side to not run off window like big drops. Local driving, the drops start to move around 30mph

IGL Window: https://youtu.be/AU0-u1hLLwA

Post Thanks / Like

Little bit of an update on this. Been in mid/upper-40`s with lotsa rain the past week. I think I`m done with IGL Window.

The little misty stuff is getting to be more of a distraction than I had with Gyeon View. Larger drops starting to be an issue in around town driving as well. In urban traffic (35 to 45mph), wipers are pretty much a necessity.

Gonna give the glass a good cleaning, prep spray wipedown and see if that improves it a bit.

Regardless, likely polish it off in the next week or so, maybe try something else.

Anyone have any suggestions? Gtechniq? Nanolex?

Dunno really, just don`t remember needing my wipers this much with Gyeon View.

On the plus side, the Kamikaze Intenso is doing great on my back window, applied sometime last summer; water flies off of it more than the windshield. Leaves s resl, nice clear back window in the rain. Too bad it had other issues on the windshield.

About 70mph, around 50 degrees F.

IGL Window: https://youtu.be/2rpBx0_FrzE

Still have about half the kit left, got 3 van windshields and mine done with half the kit. About 15ml each of E1 and E2 left. If anyone wants to give it a try, PM me and I`ll send it to ya.
    Likes nickclark08, GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Beading doesn’t look too good. I’m still using PBL Black Label glass coating and it looks better than IGL and its a lot easier to install. A bottle lasts a very long time too.

Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered the 22PLE Perfect Vision to try. Going to polish glass and apply this weekend. Wants some? Sheesh I owe you something.

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Little bit of an update on this. Been in mid/upper-40`s with lotsa rain the past week. I think I`m done with IGL Window.

The little misty stuff is getting to be more of a distraction than I had with Gyeon View. Larger drops starting to be an issue in around town driving as well. In urban traffic (35 to 45mph), wipers are pretty much a necessity.

Gonna give the glass a good cleaning, prep spray wipedown and see if that improves it a bit.

Regardless, likely polish it off in the next week or so, maybe try something else.

Anyone have any suggestions? Gtechniq? Nanolex?

Dunno really, just don`t remember needing my wipers this much with Gyeon View.

On the plus side, the Kamikaze Intenso is doing great on my back window, applied sometime last summer; water flies off of it more than the windshield. Leaves s resl, nice clear back window in the rain. Too bad it had other issues on the windshield.

About 70mph, around 50 degrees F.

IGL Window: https://youtu.be/2rpBx0_FrzE

Still have about half the kit left, got 3 van windshields and mine done with half the kit. About 15ml each of E1 and E2 left. If anyone wants to give it a try, PM me and I`ll send it to ya.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information