Post Thanks / Like

ZPC observation, FWIW

I`ve gotten conflicting reports on ZPC... some seem to think it`s very abrasive, others that it doesn`t do much that SSR1 wouldn`t.

I`d have to agree with the latter. After spending some time trying to take out some scratches that I don`t really consider THAT bad with a yellow cutting pad and not having any luck, I`m going to have to wait for my order of SSR2.5 to show up before trying again.

It`s a good polish, and finishes nicely (it wouldn`t even haze the paint on the S2000 I was working on with the yellow pad), but not very strong. I don`t think I`ll have an reservations using it to prep my new car for Zaino when it shows up.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ZPC observation, FWIW

Is this via PC?

I have heard the cut of ZPC rivals Menzerna IP or Optimum Polish when used via PC and will ultimately finish clean.

I think 2.5 or Powergloss followed by ZPC would be an excellent 1-2 punch, especially if topping with Zaino.

Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, this is with a PC. And yes, it does finish very clean, although I`m still trying to come to grips with working time. Certainly no need to follow it with anything lighter.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a thought.
    It seems to me that a large portion of Zaino users will be applying their products by hand.
    In that case, Zaino will probably keep the abrasives at a point where hand use by the everyday waxer doesn`t leave marring.
    If you have seen the mess left by someone that doesn`t know any better and uses rubbing compound by hand, you will understand what I`m trying to say.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW
    Just a thought.
    It seems to me that a large portion of Zaino users will be applying their products by hand.
    In that case, Zaino will probably keep the abrasives at a point where hand use by the everyday waxer doesn`t leave marring.
    If you have seen the mess left by someone that doesn`t know any better and uses rubbing compound by hand, you will understand what I`m trying to say.

Charles

I applied ZPC by hand on a door pillar last week to address a few light scratches and it produced marring. I tried using a MF folded in 4, a MF applicator, and foam applicator. The foam worked best for me, but I still had marring to deal with. I cleaned it up with the PC/finishing pad @ 5.

I`ve had very good luck using the PC/Cyclo: It levels out swirls & light defects, and finishes pretty clean, but not `best in class` clean. At the same time.... I can tell a difference when I use ZPC as a base vs. FPII with an ISO & Z6 wipe. The ZPC base has held up a little better IMO. So I guess there is a slight trade off either way, based on my use.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mgm2003
    I applied ZPC by hand on a door pillar last week to address a few light scratches and it produced marring. I tried using a MF folded in 4, a MF applicator, and foam applicator. The foam worked best for me, but I still had marring to deal with. I cleaned it up with the PC/finishing pad @ 5.

I`ve had very good luck using the PC/Cyclo: It levels out swirls & light defects, and finishes pretty clean, but not `best in class` clean. At the same time.... I can tell a difference when I use ZPC as a base vs. FPII with an ISO & Z6 wipe. The ZPC base has held up a little better IMO. So I guess there is a slight trade off either way, based on my use.
    Interesting.
    Zaino may have made a mistake in that the product evidently isn`t real great for hand application. They may have some disappointed users. Hand use of products must out-weigh machine use by 100 to 1. It surprises me that Zaino would release a product that wasn`t suited to hand use. Do they make mention of machine polishing for the ZPC on their site or in the instructions?
    Do you think you could have achieved satisfactory results by hand if you had spent more time with the product? In your case, going to the PC or Cyclo took care of the problem, but many people won`t have that option.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW
    Interesting.
    Zaino may have made a mistake in that the product evidently isn`t real great for hand application. They may have some disappointed users. Hand use of products must out-weigh machine use by 100 to 1. It surprises me that Zaino would release a product that wasn`t suited to hand use. Do they make mention of machine polishing for the ZPC on their site or in the instructions?
    Do you think you could have achieved satisfactory results by hand if you had spent more time with the product? In your case, going to the PC or Cyclo took care of the problem, but many people won`t have that option.

Charles
    Great questions Charles: I`ve only applied by hand once, so consider me a novice with this product. I would have to imagine that others are picking up marring too, but might not be noticing it, and/or Z5 is filling it. Regardless, I was still surprised with my `by hand` results. That`s one of the reasons that I tried multiple applicators, and various amounts of pressure.

I would have to imagine the majority of Zaino users do everything by hand. Hopefully others with experience will chime in.

Post Thanks / Like

Since I have never tried any product to remove swirls by hand I am wondering if anyone experienced the marring effect that mgm2003 mentioned with any other swirl remover applied by hand?

ZPC has been a very good paint cleaner when used after Menzerna IP or Poorboy`s SSR2.5. I have experience a great finish with ZPC. I also believe that ZPC is very pad and pressure dependant. Needing very little product to complete the tasks that I have asked of it. There has never been any marring on my Black truck no matter which pad that I used.

I also agree with mgm 2003 that ZPC is the best product to use when layering Z2Pro or Z5. Although, KAIO or ISO wipedowns do give good results, the best choice for the Z line is ZPC.
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cwcad
    Since I have never tried any product to remove swirls by hand I am wondering if anyone experienced the marring effect that mgm2003 mentioned with any other swirl remover applied by hand?
    Meguiar`s #9 Swirl Remover was what I used by hand for years.
    No marring, but a heck of a lot of effort. Since I have had a PC, I don`t think I would even consider swirl removal by hand again.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

When I used ZPC, I fould that it dried up quickly and i had to reduce the PC down to speed 4.5 or so to get it to work best.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P
    When I used ZPC, I fould that it dried up quickly and i had to reduce the PC down to speed 4.5 or so to get it to work best.
    Drying out was not a problem for me, Scott. I did use a little spritz of Z6 whenever I did put another dollup of product on the pad.
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Post Thanks / Like

I actually have applied zaino by hand, and was not upset with the results, it did take more work to get the desired effect though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information