Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Product Review: Duragloss AquaWax

While doing a little reading, I came across a thread over at Autopia that was talking about Duragloss AquaWax. It seems like it was getting a little pop, so I stopped by CarQuest on my way home to pick up a bottle. I have heard of the Duragloss line, and from what I have read is that it is a very underrated and overlooked line of detailing products. Here’s my review of the AquaWax. FWIW, the Duragloss line looks to have many other appealing products at very reasonable prices. Hopefully, I can try out a few of them and pass on my thoughts.

Availability: Available locally at CarQuest, Napa, and some other parts stores. They do have a website as well – http://www.duragloss.com

Packaging: Package consists of a black bottle with black sprayer. Labeling is black as well, with white writing. Basic, but I don’t really care too much for flashy labeling. A little off the subject – they label their sealant as polish, so don’t be fooled when you see clear coat polish. It’s really their sealant. They also have a cleaner & polish (sealant) as well as a fiberglass cleaner & polish.

Price:
    $7.68 USD for 22 ounces of product. Approximately 34 cents per ounce. Price per application would depend on how heavy you used it. Again, FWIW, most of the Duragloss products seem to be very reasonably priced.

Directions: The directions are pretty plain and simple. They have three steps on the labeling – 1) Wash the vehicle, 2) rinse, 3) apply Aquawax and wipe dry. There’s also a little FYI on the labeling stating that the product can be used on a dry surface as well (and this is the way I chose to use it). I guess it could be used as a WAUD or a spray wax.

Product:
    The product is a clear/whitish (like powdered milk after you add the water) colored liquid. It has a nice smell, which is not at all important, but it’s nice to use a product that smells nice instead of a product that smells like dump. Anywhoo, from what I have read and gathered, it does not contain wax. It’s a polymer, similar to a sealant. I’m not a chemist – just passing on what I have read.

Usage: I didn’t wash my truck, just the regular wipe down with Poorboy’s S&W. I am, however, in need of a good polish, so if the stray swirl mark shows up here or there in the pictures you guys don’t have to point it out three or four times. I know, I know….. Following the wipe down with S&W, I proceeded to spray each panel down with the AquaWax. Using a MF towel folded into fourths, I used one side to spread it over a panel, flipped the towel and lightly buffed it off. That’s it. I must say that it worked very easily. I think I got more even coverage after the MF towel “primed” a little bit (meaning it had some excess of product in it). It took me about the same time to do the entire vehicle as it does to do a thorough S&W wipe down.

Conclusion: I really like the product so far. I don’t have any idea about durability or beading (for those of you who like beading), but the product is very slick on the surface. I noticed an immediate improvement in the slickness of the vehicle finish. AquaWax is also very wet looking in my opinion. I do want to try it after a wash, as I think it might spread easier. Some people have said that it gets “better looking” after 24 hours or so, so I guess I will wait it out and see. For the price, ease of use, and the look it gave, I think I like it and will continue to use it to get a better feel for it.

Here`s some pictures. First, sprayed on the panel.

At my house, with the sun not cooperating.

So, I drove to the mall and got a couple of pics in the hazy sun. It`s better than no sun I suppose.

Finally, at Sonic (from inside the ride) while I was waiting on my Dr. Pepper.

Questions/comments?
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Product Review: Duragloss AquaWax

Nice review!
    Would you say it`s "freshly waxed" slick? Any particluar product that this slickness reminds you of?
    (BTW, how could anyone be expected to see a swirl in your truck as presented? )
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Post Thanks / Like

Would you say that it gave a higher gloss then some other spray waxes. My current favorette spray wax is Nano Spray which I feel is outstanding on dark colors. I may have to buy some Aquawax and give it a try.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried OCW before? If so how does it compare? Seems like a good product to me.
    "Whether you think you can or think you can`t - you are right " -Henry Ford

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Leegr
    Nice review!
    Would you say it`s "freshly waxed" slick? Any particluar product that this slickness reminds you of?
    (BTW, how could anyone be expected to see a swirl in your truck as presented? )
    Yeah, that would be a good description. I would probably compare slickness to that of 4* UPP or Pinnacle Paste Glaz. It`s pretty slick.

Quote Originally Posted by budman3
    Have you tried OCW before? If so how does it compare? Seems like a good product to me.
    I haven`t tried OCW, and after reading some posts for the AW, I probably won`t. The comparisons between the two from people who have used both products over at Autopia seem to have AW as a better product all around.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryA
    Would you say that it gave a higher gloss then some other spray waxes. My current favorette spray wax is Nano Spray which I feel is outstanding on dark colors. I may have to buy some Aquawax and give it a try.
    I have not tried any other spray waxes as far as I can remember, so I can`t really give a fair comparison. I do know that I like some EO products, and they usually perform well. On a side note, I did read a thread that said Valvoline (or Valvoline`s parent company) bought out the company that makes EO products and that they may be phasing out EO products. It could just be a rumor or specualtion - I don`t know facts. Just know that it was mentioned.

Don't shop at Wal-Mart
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you use that pickup truck for work?

TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes one question . . . what did you order at Sonic? We have ads on TV for these places here, but none of their restaurants. It`s the strangest thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jdoria
    Do you use that pickup truck for work?
    No, it`s pretty much what I drive most of the time. I do use it to haul boats, ATV`s, jet skis, and various other play toys. I work in an office. No more manual labor for me. I had enough of that when I was "younger."

I wanted to go take a picture in from of Wal-Mart just for you, but it was on the opposite side of where I was going.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyc
    Yes one question . . . what did you order at Sonic? We have ads on TV for these places here, but none of their restaurants. It`s the strangest thing.
    44 ounce Dr. Pepper. With the little bitty ice cubes. Ta-Dow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaredPointer

44 ounce Dr. Pepper. With the little bitty ice cubes. Ta-Dow.
    Cherry limeade is where it`s at man!!!
    ~werd to yo mutha~
    Wade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyc
    I live in Miami and see these commercials all the damn time. I have yet to find one. I can`t locate them anywhere in my navi.
    • JoYRiiDE
    //2007 BMW 335i e90 Sedan // Montego Blue // Black.Aluminum//

Post Thanks / Like

From the site of duragloss

http://www.duragloss.com/product.asp?pid=269

"Durable to both acid and alkaline washes. "

Is that possible? One would think an acid wash would remove anything and everthing, let alone an alkaline product.
    • JoYRiiDE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joyriide1113
    From the site of duragloss

http://www.duragloss.com/product.asp?pid=269

"Durable to both acid and alkaline washes. "

Is that possible? One would think an acid wash would remove anything and everthing, let alone an alkaline product.
    I`m no chemist, so I don`t know what to think about that one. I do know that some of the people posting about the Duragloss stuff have compared it to Zaino. I don`t use Zaino, and haven`t used anything from Duragloss enough to make a comaprison. The DG is supposed to be very durable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaredPointer
    I`m no chemist, so I don`t know what to think about that one. I do know that some of the people posting about the Duragloss stuff have compared it to Zaino. I don`t use Zaino, and haven`t used anything from Duragloss enough to make a comaprison. The DG is supposed to be very durable.
    Zaino is a very very durable sealant. To compare it with Zaino is like entering the big leagues in terms of durabilty.

But what catches me isn`t believeing a product can last xxx months. Its believing it can withstand to such harsh harsh chemicals, let alone enviroment.
    • JoYRiiDE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joyriide1113
    But what catches me isn`t believeing a product can last xxx months. Its believing it can withstand to such harsh harsh chemicals, let alone enviroment.
    Actually they don`t really say anything about withstanding harsh chemicals, all they say is "Durable to both acid and alkaline washes. " That could just as easily mean wash water that`s a little acid or a little alkaline, which is basically just every day normal water.

Post Thanks / Like

Gotcha!
    • JoYRiiDE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information