While doing a little reading, I came across a thread over at Autopia that was talking about Duragloss AquaWax. It seems like it was getting a little pop, so I stopped by CarQuest on my way home to pick up a bottle. I have heard of the Duragloss line, and from what I have read is that it is a very underrated and overlooked line of detailing products. Here’s my review of the AquaWax. FWIW, the Duragloss line looks to have many other appealing products at very reasonable prices. Hopefully, I can try out a few of them and pass on my thoughts.

Availability: Available locally at CarQuest, Napa, and some other parts stores. They do have a website as well – http://www.duragloss.com

Packaging: Package consists of a black bottle with black sprayer. Labeling is black as well, with white writing. Basic, but I don’t really care too much for flashy labeling. A little off the subject – they label their sealant as polish, so don’t be fooled when you see clear coat polish. It’s really their sealant. They also have a cleaner & polish (sealant) as well as a fiberglass cleaner & polish.

Price:
$7.68 USD for 22 ounces of product. Approximately 34 cents per ounce. Price per application would depend on how heavy you used it. Again, FWIW, most of the Duragloss products seem to be very reasonably priced.

Directions: The directions are pretty plain and simple. They have three steps on the labeling – 1) Wash the vehicle, 2) rinse, 3) apply Aquawax and wipe dry. There’s also a little FYI on the labeling stating that the product can be used on a dry surface as well (and this is the way I chose to use it). I guess it could be used as a WAUD or a spray wax.

Product:
The product is a clear/whitish (like powdered milk after you add the water) colored liquid. It has a nice smell, which is not at all important, but it’s nice to use a product that smells nice instead of a product that smells like dump. Anywhoo, from what I have read and gathered, it does not contain wax. It’s a polymer, similar to a sealant. I’m not a chemist – just passing on what I have read.

Usage: I didn’t wash my truck, just the regular wipe down with Poorboy’s S&W. I am, however, in need of a good polish, so if the stray swirl mark shows up here or there in the pictures you guys don’t have to point it out three or four times. I know, I know….. Following the wipe down with S&W, I proceeded to spray each panel down with the AquaWax. Using a MF towel folded into fourths, I used one side to spread it over a panel, flipped the towel and lightly buffed it off. That’s it. I must say that it worked very easily. I think I got more even coverage after the MF towel “primed” a little bit (meaning it had some excess of product in it). It took me about the same time to do the entire vehicle as it does to do a thorough S&W wipe down.

Conclusion: I really like the product so far. I don’t have any idea about durability or beading (for those of you who like beading), but the product is very slick on the surface. I noticed an immediate improvement in the slickness of the vehicle finish. AquaWax is also very wet looking in my opinion. I do want to try it after a wash, as I think it might spread easier. Some people have said that it gets “better looking” after 24 hours or so, so I guess I will wait it out and see. For the price, ease of use, and the look it gave, I think I like it and will continue to use it to get a better feel for it.

Here`s some pictures. First, sprayed on the panel.

At my house, with the sun not cooperating.

So, I drove to the mall and got a couple of pics in the hazy sun. It`s better than no sun I suppose.

Finally, at Sonic (from inside the ride) while I was waiting on my Dr. Pepper.

Questions/comments?